The Beer Bar
Open to general topics not covered elsewhere including Current Events, Politics, Religion, Movies and other topics. Discuss the topic, not the policy or personality. Have fun and enjoy!
16,177 topics in this forum
-
A comment Lucky made in another post gave me this idea for a new thread.. If you could choose any two people, living or dead, to have sex with (separately or together), who would they be?
-
- 16 replies
- 1.7k views
- 1 follower
-
-
There’s a lengthy and highly entertaining interview in this morning's Guardian newspaper with David O’Leary, the controversial boss of Europe’s most successful low-cost airline, Ryannair. Yes, he’s the one who suggested generating even more profits by charging for going to the toilet, a plan that has not been shelved, merely put on the back burner, the article tells us. The writer puts the suggestion to O’Leary that “he is one of the world’s most evil people, enticing millions . . . to jet around Europe, befouling its air with carbon emissions and defacing its landscape with excrescent airports.” This follows from a quote from French philosopher Blaise Pascal who once…
-
Johnny Ruffo has the crowd in the palm of his hands as you will see as you watch his crowd screaming performance. What a hottie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arEtOxB5iCk
-
- 4 replies
- 788 views
-
-
YouTube is about finished with its redesign. You can see screen caps of the new look at this link. Over all a cleaner interface one that looks a little like you might find on a mobile device.
-
- 2 replies
- 646 views
- 1 follower
-
-
OK. Modern Family was laugh-out-loud funny this week. "You have your fans and I have my fans; but your fans will work for my fans someday. . ." LOL
-
- 2 replies
- 514 views
- 1 follower
-
-
In Lucky's Theater thread, he commented to me that he admired my forwardness in cold-asking a cute salesboy to attend a show. It turned out fantastic that time, but I can't tell you how many times I have tried that and gotten rejected. That reminded me of one analogy to approach to life... Stanford has an Entrepreneur School (surprise, surprise) where their curriculum is designed to foster innovation and obviously entrepreneurship. One of the basic assumptions of their teachings is that every human being has a built in failure ratio. That is, for every, say, 10 attempts they make at getting something to succeed, only one will. This is different from person to person,…
-
- 7 replies
- 1.4k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Know someone whom you’d describe as “tender, gentle, kind, with refined feelings, even when life (is) hard," someone who shows “great loyalty”? Nope? Well maybe you did know someone with those splendid qualities but who has passed away. Nope again? Well, how about asking the families of the 9/11 victims or the Nairobi bombings or the USS Cole incident? For the man so described is none other than Osama Bin Laden! The man who eulogises him in a new 2-part vdo is the new terrorist-in-chief, Ayman al-Zawahiri, the former No. 2 in al-Qaeda. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15750813 What a load of bs! And we still don’t know why many of this mass mur…
-
What is it, I wonder, about certain Asian countries which are subject to major flooding also being ripe for corruption? We know all about flooding in Thailand. The Philippines is flooded regularly, a result of its many annual typhoons. Taiwan and Japan are also subject to typhoons each year. And China has suffered from spring floods for centuries, something the Three Gorges Dam is supposed to alleviate. No doubt it
-
- 1 reply
- 1.1k views
-
-
I wondered how Google gets away with showing porn pix on regular Google searches. Today a Wall Street Journal columnist takes a look at those long agreements we automatically click "I agree" to. What a shock it is. The WSJ is a subscription paper, both in print and online, so I will quote a couple of paragraphs here under Fair Use: "Now, according to the Amazon.com Conditions of Use, "If you visit or shop at Amazon.com, you accept these conditions." The conditions follow and follow and follow—more than 2,000 words' worth. It's even worse if you choose to do your book reading on an e-reader. Amazon advises that if you're not willing to sign an agreement running north of …
-
- 0 replies
- 721 views
-
-
She was one of the most glamorous stars in the Hollywood firmament, a child star later nominated for an Oscar for
-
Douglas Manchester, owner of the San Diego Marriott Marina Hotel and the Manchester Hyatt Hotel, among other holdings,has bought the city's leading newspaper for "above" $110 million. Manchester donated $100,000 to the Prop 8 campaign to ban gay marriage in California, and a long boycott of his hotel was carried on until it was reported that he sold it. But today's news seems to imply that he did not, in fact, sell the hotel. Both the Marriott and the Hyatt occupy prime positions on the San Diego harbor, next to the convention center. With ownership of the Tribune, Manchester can now call the shots on the coverage of the news in that city, and will certainly be kowtowed…
-
Kathy pays homage to Janet Jackson's Rolling Stone cover along with Jessie Tyler Ferguson.
-
11/22/63 is a date that we all remember, well, most of us who are old enough. But it is also the title of Stephen King's newest novel. It's about a man who learns how to time travel back to 1958, where he will stay in an effort to stop the assassination of the president. The book is 848 pages long, which might deter many readers. But, I am half way through it, and I am here to tell you what a delight it is to read. It's one of those "can't put it down novels." So, if you like to read, don't let the size of the book stop you. And, if you are a Fifties fan, then run to the bookstore. King does the Fifties so well, you might think you had time-traveled. At the half-way po…
-
- 5 replies
- 1k views
-
-
Darren Aronofsky created some very graphic anti-meth ads. Check them out.
-
In 1949 the Nobel prize for Medicine was awarded to Egas Moniz. I had never heard of him, so would hazard he's also unknown to those of you clustered here in the Beer Bar. Can you guess what he was given it for? Here's a clue: He was a Portuguese neurologist, who believed that patients with obsessive behaviour were suffering from fixed circuits in the brain. Any ideas? In 1935, in a Lisbon hospital, he believed he had found a solution. "I decided to sever the connecting fibres of the neurons in activity," he wrote. . . His original technique was adapted by others, but the basic idea remained the same. In 1949 he was awarded the Nobel prize, but from the mi…
-
- 9 replies
- 1.8k views
-
-
The Lucky Reader The Lucky Reader is one man's idea of what makes interesting news. Monday, November 14, 2011 in Two Sections Section 1 Since you are one of the first people to read the first edition of the Lucky Reader, you might think that you are one of the Lucky People. Well, take a look at this short video to see what it really takes to be one of the Lucky People! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLqIfdDXJVs * The movie J. Edgar is receiving plenty of attention. It has name stars, a big budget, and an American icon as director. J. Edgar Hoover himself was an American icon for decades, but his legacy is tarnished by revelations about him that came after his dea…
-
- 22 replies
- 1.9k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Just for information, as a result of a management change the Asian social networking site that is based in Singapore fridae.com has just changed to fridae.asia http://www.fridae.asia/announcements/fridaeasia/20111115.html I have often mentioned this site in my trip reports. It boasts half a million members around the world, most in Asia and the majority being of Chinese ethnic origin and those who enjoy their company. For anyone travelling around the region, I have found it is an extremely useful site for hooking up with guys. I even have guys from as far away as Vancouver and Sydney getting in touch from time to time! For those only visiting Thailand, there is al…
-
In recognition of Lurkerspeaks birthday, his impending 1000th post, and his many contributions to the community, November 15, 2011 is hereby proclaimed Lurkerspeaks Day.
-
- 8 replies
- 934 views
- 1 follower
-
-
Time flies .. I can remember when you were just a little pup at about 135 posts .. now look at you all grown up and legal, finally, at 1000 posts and *cough* years I hope you have a awesome birthday!
-
- 3 replies
- 792 views
-
-
While many of us struggle with our grammar and spelling, work long hours to come up with interesting posts, it is revealed today that hitoallusa, currently today's most prolific poster, has a professional writer to compose his posts for him. That's right, he has a writer! This scoop is not mine. In fact, in another forum, probably where he felt it might go unnoticed, hitoall reveals this himself. His exact words as he tries to get another poster to use the same writer: "...or you can forward it to my writer directly if that's more convenient for you. No names have to come out..." Of course no names have to come out. Could Stephen King be the writer? Now doesn't this ch…
-
- 5 replies
- 961 views
- 1 follower
-
-
It has occurred to me that I have so many threads, if I could cut down on them we might see a rise in threads by other posters. I list my occupation as "internet poster" and it is easy to see why- I post a lot. If I had fewer threads, then others could see their own threads rise to the top. So, on Monday, I plan to introduce The Lucky Reader, a thread that will appear several times a week and contain many of the news items that interest me as well as some commentary. It will even be updated as the day goes along. The Reader will have news items that I have found in my internet reading, as well as some commentary. Although I would like to publish 3 or 4 times a week, I …
-
- 14 replies
- 1.7k views
- 1 follower
-
-
from the website peopleofwalmart.com rumor has it that this is one of our more prolific posters: For anyone still on the fence about his sexuality, this should help you decide once and for all: and this one is for all the lovers of a shapely butt... check out the website for more "interesting" pics. you can sort them randomly, or by state, so you can look to see if any of your neighbors have been captured on camera..
-
-
- 1 reply
- 633 views
-
-
Scott McGillivray David Bromstad John Gidding Carter Oosterhouse John Colaneri (L) or Anthony Carrino ®
-
I've decided to go with a post on the other forum unless Daddy is against it. I want to respect his site and don't want to disturb its peace there so I emailed him whether I can post something that could possibly lead to some disputes among members. I don't know how it will pan out but my purpose is to prevent a similar thing from happening again. I surely don't understand why it has to be like this and want to hear what other people have to say about it. I am not trying to damage someone else's image or reputation. Just want to know why and what could I have done differently. If Daddy doesn't want my post there then will Oz or Tampa will accept my post here? What about o…
-
- 21 replies
- 2.6k views
- 1 follower
-