Hi  I am wanting to visit,  Thailand

Kinda weary of traveling there alone for 1st time

Would like to someone to help me with visit

We would both have separate rooms  so have privacy

any tours from the USA?

would be looking for fun and  see sites

Any info appreciated

Guest roguebear

I would recommend Purple Dragon Travel Agency in Bangkok.  They have an extensive website to assist you with travels in SE Asia and beyond.

Your best bet might be to hook up with one of your friends at home and travel together. Or, as you mentioned do some internet searching for a gay tour going to Thailand. If you went to Pattaya then likely you would find it easier to meet someone to show you the ropes. 

Don't know what your budget is, but over the years I have traveled around SE Asia quite a bit using the services of Purple Dragon. They are a travel agency based in Bangkok, run by an expat American. www.purpledrag.com  You have a guide to show you around. It's especially nice for the sights to have some one who can interpret for you. You basically have your own private tour. If you venture further afield you'll have your own private car/driver as well as guide.

I am headed back in December and will use them for my time in Southern Laos and around Siem Reap and northern Cambodia. My time in Thailand and Luang Prabang I will be on my own. Once you've been to Bangkok or Pattaya a time or two it's easy to navigate it all on your own.

The following thread may be useful: http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/10003-gay-companions-and-tour-guides-in-thailand/ . I used the services of Yaya for a couple of days on my first trip to LOS. It was very handy to have a guide, organiser and interpreter all rolled in to one. He is very happy to organise tours, etc during the day and show you the nightlife later.

How old are you? How well do you get around? Are you coming for sightseeing or the gay experience?  The answers will affect my overall advice.

No matter what, travel as lightly as possible. I easily did a two week visit with one roller suitcase that fit in the overhead bin of the airplane.

yes a local (gay) guide is highly recommendable. I had one on my first ever trip to BKK (and, in fact, Asia) over 15 years ago from Purple Dragon, that made everything so easy in the unknown city. 

Don't worry about travelling alone, that's so easy especially in Thailand. With the local guide, everything will just be perfect. 

Some board members (including myself) live in Thailand, so who knows what help might be given.

yes a local (gay) guide is highly recommendable. I had one on my first ever trip to BKK (and, in fact, Asia) over 15 years ago from Purple Dragon, that made everything so easy in the unknown city. 

Don't worry about travelling alone, that's so easy especially in Thailand. With the local guide, everything will just be perfect. 

Some board members (including myself) live in Thailand, so who knows what help might be given.

only problem I have with local guides or even local residents accompanying me is that whether we like or not we are forced to see place through their eyes. They will be guiding  us to places they are interested in or ones they think we will be interested in.

Anybody asking me to show around of Bangkok is guaranteed to go to the Grand Palace by river , even if afraid of water and will be steered clear of big and impressive malls because I hate them, just as an example 

The best guides do take the time to find out what your interests are and adjust accordingly. Granted not all are so good and many times you just get the standard program. But if you are not seeing the kinds of things you want to see, you just have to speak up. Maybe I've been fortunate, but when I have an idea of the sorts of things I want to see and do I've always gotten what I wanted. If I have no specific agenda I am usually happy to go with the flow.

But, sure, there are pros and cons to every approach.

I would not recommend spending an entire holiday with a local guide, but a couple of days when you go to a place for the first time can be a very good idea. Although you can read up on a place, it is still difficult to weed good information from bad. An example: before my first trip to LOS, I'd read 2 different threads, one saying I should change my money in UK before going, another saying not to change anything till I got there. Anywhere else I would have changed money before going. Because I'd booked a guide for a couple of days, a simple chat on Whatsapp saved me the best part of 10000 baht. Their knowledge of transport and the sites to see, and when to go, can also be useful.

The OP however was talking about trying to find someone to go with. Personally, I would find this more restrictive than a tour guide and more difficult to get away from. Unless you have similar tastes, it is not going to be enjoyable. Tour guides for a couple of days were suggested as a useful alternative. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but if you need the comfort of a guide, it may as well be a local one.

Their knowledge of transport and the sites to see, and when to go, can also be useful.

I'd also add knowledge of local prices to avoid possible scams or unreasonable taxi fares. Very presence of local fends off undesirables and also opens many doors otherwise closed. 

There are attractions which are available with guide only, either formally or because he knows who has a key.

One thing I'd kind of forgotten. Having a local guide can be handy when it comes to spending a bit of time in the go-go bars. I wasn't pestered at all when I was with my local guide. I noticed the difference immediately the first night I had to fend off the mamasan for myself :)

One thing I'd kind of forgotten. Having a local guide can be handy when it comes to spending a bit of time in the go-go bars. I wasn't pestered at all when I was with my local guide. I noticed the difference immediately the first night I had to fend off the mamasan for myself :)

good point This can be substituted by visiting bars with anybody  - other member of this forum  for example  or boy already offed from other bar or massage.

If you have company mamasans are keeping out although boys on the stage may  still suggest going threesome. 

Guest anonone

I agree on the value of having a guide for a day or two when traveling to a new place.  I engaged a tour guide on my first trip to Thailand (Bangkok) and was very happy.  In addition to the obvious service of touring local sites of interest, I made it a point to learn much about navigating around the city, using the MRT/BTS, some rudimentary Thai words, and so on.  It really made the rest of the trip much easier and I was much more confident buzzing around the city.

In contrast, I have become very spoiled by traveling on my own now and would not want to have a "travel buddy" with me for a whole trip.   Limited and smart use of a local guide...absolutely.

using the MRT/BTS,

for benefits of readers who were never in Bangkok it needs to be said that all three  systems , MRT / underground / , BTS / overhead rail / and ACL / airport- city train / ale very well posted in English and are easy to navigate  with one possible confusion:

TICKETS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE, you need to buy separate ticket for each one at connecting stations /Makkasan, Phaya Thai, Silom / 

for benefits of readers who were never in Bangkok it needs to be said that all three  systems , MRT / underground / , BTS / overhead rail / and ACL / airport- city train / ale very well posted in English and easy to navigate  with one possible confusion:

As Christopher Columbus once said, "always easy to navigate once someone shows you how". And even if he didn't say that then I will. 

As Christopher Columbus once said, "always easy to navigate once someone shows you how". And even if he didn't say that then I will. 

guy who sailed to India and landed in the Bahamas should not be authority in the navigation anyways.

On serious note I think if somebody shows you way you will have trouble finding it again, if you navigate by yourself  chances are you will not have problem finding it again

only problem I have with local guides or even local residents accompanying me is that whether we like or not we are forced to see place through their eyes. They will be guiding  us to places they are interested in or ones they think we will be interested in.

Anybody asking me to show around of Bangkok is guaranteed to go to the Grand Palace by river , even if afraid of water and will be steered clear of big and impressive malls because I hate them, just as an example 

I beg to differ. First, they will show you things and allow you (rather than force) to see things through their eyses, which can also be viewed as opening your own eyes to things you wouldn't otherwise see. Part of the attraction of the concept of the local guide. Second, since it is a private, one-on-one guide, there will be no surprises or disappointments on the places visited, as everything can and will be discussed in advance. Unlike with a group tour, which have fixed intineraries and thus would justify your concern.

Going by the river is a splendid way of getting to the Grand Palace and anyone afraid of boats should nevertheless be tried to be talked into it, There is no seasickness to be feared and for sure much more interesting and enjoyable than a boring taxi. But if they insisted, so be it. As for the malls, if your role is tour guide and they insist they want to see a mall, you'd be obliged to go. The guide doesn't determine things, it is discussed and agreed in advance, see above. Big plus of the individual guide, in addition to the other points mentioned in this thread. 

guy who sailed to India and landed in the Bahamas should not be authority in the navigation anyways.

On serious note I think if somebody shows you way you will have trouble finding it again, if you navigate by yourself  chances are you will not have problem finding it again

that actually concurs with kokopelli's point rather than contratict it. Columbus was never shown that way, so it was difficult. For everyone after him it was easy. 

Anyway, hairsplitting aside, I see your point of being just a blind follower not finding the way next time. But that's up to the traveller, to do things himself with the assistance of the guide, rather than let the guide do everything (which might be tempting for a first timer). 

Bottom Line each person has to decide how comfortable they will be doing the first trip alone.

All you have to do is look at the millions of people being herded around in buses in every destination you can name, to see how popular guided tours are.

Some people are lazy and do not want to spend hours reading sites like this and trip advisor and millions of pages of information available on Google.

Then there is the choice of a private guide who can certainly save you some time and mistakes. For me the mistakes are part of the fun of visiting a new destination. I do tons of research and still make mistakes and get lost but that is ok because I eventually find what I want.

There are exceptions of course.  Angkor Wat and the whole area is very difficult to do without a guide and much less fulfilling if you just walk around with no understanding of the carvings etc.

I spent quite a bit of time in Moscow without a guide and was lost many times and then ran across a student who spoke some English and he was the best thing that happened to me on my first trip.  He introduced me to some of his University friends who spoke adequate English and this was the high light of my first trip to Russia. 

This would have never happened if I had hired a guide.

With the aid of GPS and local maps on a big-screen smartphone I'm not too worried about losing my way as long as the sun is still above the horizon. Details about a particular area, especially in touristic places can be easily obtained online.

With the aid of GPS and local maps on a big-screen smartphone I'm not too worried about losing my way as long as the sun is still above the horizon. Details about a particular area, especially in touristic places can be easily obtained online.

Exactly.   I didn't have smartphones for my first trips and it was still easy enough to find my way around.

Now we do have smartphones with google maps and gps, well it's almost foolproof, as long as you can find the gps co-ordinates or google map location for your destination.

slowly but surely those hi-tech gizmos are replacing joy of travelling with convenience of getting from A to B most sterile way possible. Not saying that is wrong , just not the same.

One of advantages of hiring guide we did not mention is that simply we have somebody to talk to and share impressions right away, the same like going to bar with somebody we can share our views on boys, 'look at his bulge", 'what you say about #12?" etc