flugg

An evening in Jomtien Complex

Arriving yesterday, I made a short trip to Jomtien Complex for some insight. Answering the question on another topic “Who goes to Jomtien Complex at all”, that be me. I like the overall atmosphere and always stay within walking distance or inside the complex when in Pattaya.

First beers, as always, L&N Bar. Chatted with the nice owner and practised a bit on the few Thai words I speak. Bar quite empty, as always, but serves the community as a Homebase for all the barboys around (cigarettes, lao dong). Question Mark opposite was packed with a birthday party, a pig on the roast never fails to attract many people. This Soi is pretty crowded with a new gay bar seemingly to be opening every week.

Went on and wanted to have a beer in the Pour House in the other Soi. Upon approach, was pleased that the place has sharpen up with new furniture. Only after sitting down I recognised, the Pour House no longer exists but the Ganymede Bar has taken over (sad news, I liked the Pour House). Ganymede Bar moved in from the Hotel on the other side of the Soi and the Ganymede Hotel has changed name to Zing Resort and Spa. One could say the de-gaying of the Hotel might be completed now and it can proudly call itself a family resort.

Back to the first Soi, had a drink at Dolce Vita. This place also had a major clean up and is under new management now. Looks nice and I think it will do well, has the right mix of boys but not too pushy.

Last drink, when jetlag really kicked in, was at The Venue, good to see some old staff back. 7-11, then bed.

At Zing resort & spa, where I stayed early last month, I did not notice any children. Lots of older & old single men, and one or two gay couples. The only semblance of family were some French speaking Arabs with their adult children, and heterosexual couples. The nice swimming pool was busy at times.

The hotel has two elevators, one at the reception and the other by the pool. I used the latter when bringing back boys without registering them first. On the whole a value for money hotel.

Oh Fluggie you did not mention BC Bar (the one mith mostly khmer guys, between Two Faces and the French restaurant).

Mostly Khmer guys?   OK, I need to overlook the lack of gogo bars and spend an evening or 2 in Jomtien.

At Zing resort & spa, where I stayed early last month, I did not notice any children.

Children ? I should hope not.

My tolerant and open minded attitude has extended to staying in a hotel directly above a straight gogo bar, all run by the same people. The boys brought back to the hotel have a big smile on their face after some flattering comments from the gogo girls.

But I do hope to stay in hotels that are free from children & therefore quiet.  There are limits.  Families can go to family friendly hotels.

The complex was full again last night (at least with boys), another bar had a karaoke party that went on quite long. To cover all the bars there might take a week, as seemingly there are more boybars per m2 then in sunnee. In case Jomtien becomes declared as a "Entertainment Zone" the Complex will enter into a new golden age.

At Zing resort & spa, where I stayed early last month, I did not notice any children. Lots of older & old single men, and one or two gay couples. The only semblance of family were some French speaking Arabs with their adult children, and heterosexual couples. The nice swimming pool was busy at times.
The hotel has two elevators, one at the reception and the other by the pool. I used the latter when bringing back boys without registering them first. On the whole a value for money hotel.

Stayed here twice in the past, but did not have too much luck with the room and did not come back. I took the information about the transformation of Ganymede / Zing from another source, but interestingly it was deleted there in the meantime - but one will not find Ganymede / Zing on the Hotel lisitings at Nicky and Dreadedned anymore. The drop of the name Ganymede makes sence if one does not cater primary to gays, as Ganymede was a quite busy boy in the greek mythology.

Is there any reason for the absence of gogo's bars in the complex ?. Given the number of gays staying in the vicinity I would have thought someone would open one. Maybe it's not classed as an "entertainment zone"

Right, no gogos in Jomtien, it is a zoning ordinance. There is one police affiliated girlie gogo across from the Complex that might be grandfathered since it has been there for many years.

Given the number of gays staying in the vicinity I would have thought someone would open one.

Actually, a few years ago someone did, although perhaps a better term for it would be "pseudo go go."  It was called Rock Hard bar.  If I remember correctly, it was located where the Sun Boys bar is now.

In front it was a bar.  In the back, in an enclosed area, there were two or three go go boys.  Often they were regular bar staff who would go back there upon request, strip down, and start dancing - among other things.

It closed in 2009.  No bar in Jomtien Complex has attempted anything similar since then.

There is still a video of the Rock Hard bar at:  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x36znu_rock-hard-jomtien-complex_news

I've never spent any time at the complex after about 7 pm during numerous trips to Pattaya in the last ten years. I've always considered that there was more action in BT or Sunee so never stayed in Jomtien. After reading this report maybe I will give it a try.

After an afternoon on the beach I have often had a massage and remember visiting the Question Mark for this a couple of years ago on successive days when I had the hots for a boy there.

In the parts of the Complex closer to the beach there are several hetro bars where the girls try and entice you to sit down and very near the beach there is the Bamboo Bar sandwiched between the 7-11 and a pharmacy. Perhaps an unsuitable location for a gay bar. Last year I was inside there sitting with a boy with my arm round him when a Russian older str couple entered but quickly retreated when they realised that all the customers were similarly engaged.

Last year I was inside there sitting with a boy with my arm round him when a Russian older str couple entered but quickly retreated when they realised that all the customers were similarly engaged.

I have seen several times str. couples quickly retreat from a place after realizing that it is a gay place.

Those str. are so traumatized!  The truth is that str. couples are usually treated in a friendly way in gay places, contrary to the treatment of gay couples in str. places!!!

And these stupid str. who feel so empowered in front of a single gay but are so afraid of gay places miss the opportunity to realize that gays are not different from them, that is, that they are no different from gays.

not all straights are that horrible.

One of BKK memories I cherish the most is from XBoys , soi Twilight where I was complemented by visiting lady with her male companion on my choice of boy I was sitting with. Possibly she sensed he was gay for pay but still complement seemed genuine and even her man winked knowingly

not all straights are that horrible.

One of BKK memories I cherish the most is from XBoys , soi Twilight where I was complemented by visiting lady with her male companion on my choice of boy I was sitting with. Possibly she sensed he was gay for pay but still complement seemed genuine and even her man winked knowingly

Oh, there are definitely straights that are very open minded and nice.  I was referring to the str couple who Travellerdave saw quickly retreating when they realized that they entered a gay place,  and other couples like that. 

I recently went to a gay nightclub in Bangkok with a straight male European friend and a straight female American friend. When we approached the entrance, one of the doormen whispered in my ear, "This is a gay club!". I whispered back, "I know, I've visited before!", and that was it. I think he honestly just wanted to save us from being disappointed. Next time we'll probably go in drag to make things more clear. ;)

Guest frequentflier

I have always enjoyed my visits to Jomtien complex and have stayed in a few of the places there.The lack of go go  bars is probably its main attraction.Someone mentioned Rock hard boys,it was great and unique to the plaza.But sometimes they had no change or ice and the beer was warm,but that was part of its charm.Sad to hear that the Venue is up for sale and that the Bondi is also closed.The vultures are already hovering over the Bondi and making assertions.Some sad people around.

We will return very soon to Pattaya and look forward to meeting our friends there..

Guest Patexpat

I have always enjoyed my visits to Jomtien complex and have stayed in a few of the places there.The lack of go go  bars is probably its main attraction.Someone mentioned Rock hard boys,it was great and unique to the plaza.But sometimes they had no change or ice and the beer was warm,but that was part of its charm.Sad to hear that the Venue is up for sale and that the Bondi is also closed.The vultures are already hovering over the Bondi and making assertions.Some sad people around.

We will return very soon to Pattaya and look forward to meeting our friends there..

It has been posted on another board that THE VENUE has been listed for sale. My company has a very strong business relationship with THE VENUE, and part of our job is to take care of online social networking. Having checked with the owner and the manager, THE VENUE is not listed for sale anywhere contrary to the posting on another forum.and THE VENUE owner was totally unaware of the posting that said it was listed for sale.

Guest frequentflier

It has been posted on another board that THE VENUE has been listed for sale. My company has a very strong business relationship with THE VENUE, and part of our job is to take care of online social networking. Having checked with the owner and the manager, THE VENUE is not listed for sale anywhere contrary to the posting on another forum.and THE VENUE owner was totally unaware of the posting that said it was listed for sale.

Someone should tell the guy on the other forum to check his facts.We love going to the Venue .

Guest ryanasia

I have seen several times str. couples quickly retreat from a place after realizing that it is a gay place.

Those str. are so traumatized!  The truth is that str. couples are usually treated in a friendly way in gay places, contrary to the treatment of gay couples in str. places!!!

And these stupid str. who feel so empowered in front of a single gay but are so afraid of gay places miss the opportunity to realize that gays are not different from them, that is, that they are no different from gays.

I can see if you are straight and walk into a place and it is a bunch of old dudes fondling their rent how you might want to leave. No, different than if a gay guy accidentally walked into a den of rentable pussy. 

I can see if you are straight and walk into a place and it is a bunch of old dudes fondling their rent how you might want to leave. No, different than if a gay guy accidentally walked into a den of rentable pussy. 

in either case people are just playing stupid,

I don't believe that somebody visiting say Patpong  or Walking street just steps by accident into place called King's Pussy or Screwboys, whom they are kidding?

I don't think anyone accidentally walks into a gogo bar. 

However, considering the location of Screwboys, I expect a small proportion of customers might not realise it's a gay bar until they have entered.

Guest terrapin

Well from a straight perspective I've visited a couple of gay bars and generally felt somewhat uncomfortable there but mainly because I felt like I was intruding.  My instinct is that for some gay people certain venues are an oasis and i might be disturbing that oasis and therefore my presence wouldnt be welcome. 

Also being a bit shy I found not knowing the "culture" or the "rules" unsettling. 

The Jomtien Complex is different to Boystown and Sunee in that it is not obviously a gay venue with non gay businesses mingling with gay bars. As such one often sees str couples wandering through. I suspect that sometimes there is a voyeur motive and a sight of a older gay farang with Thai boys an interesting sight particularly if fondling is taking place.