Guest abang1961

Turning 55 today

Guest abang1961

Sawadee krap.

Recently, I've been hooked on Thai cooking.

Some of the dishes are complicated to complete but my favorite are those that take less than 10 minutes to prepare.

Today, I like to share this video.

Personally, I tried this recipe many times and it always works.

It goes well with a plate of Jasmine Rice and a simple salad.

Guest abang1961

This week we had 2 famous people who committed suicide - Kate Spade and just a couple of minutes ago, reports of Anthony Bourdian's death.  I have been following the food travelogue of Bourdian for years and his sudden departure will definitely leave a void in my TV scheduling for some time..

Remember he and then-President Obama's Vietnamese dinner?

His double life ...

I'll miss Bourdain's reports.  They were always interesting.  His audiobooks are just fantastic to listen to.  

Just last week I watched his visit to Laos where he caught the end of Lent in Luang Prabang.  It was so inspiring I immediately booked my room for this October.  

In Hanoi the very modest shop where he and Obama had dinner is now a regular must-see stop for young backpackers, who usually order the Obama Meal.

Cheers to Tony!

+1.

Bourdain's life story, sadly ended, will continue to resonate well beyond the food industry. His affection for unadorned dining and the ordinary man endeared him to viewers. I think we saw some of ourselves in him, or at least in his choices. We eat the street food of Asia and spend our time with ordinary--well, often extraordinary--guys of humble backgrounds. And we are wholly comfortable and at ease as Anthony seems to be as he sits across the table from Obama. That's how I want to remember him.

Guest abang1961

Tonight I experienced a cultural shock during dinner.

I was in a mixed group of gay men - different ages, different nationalities and probably different background.

At first, the conversation was polite but once we started eating, things changed.

Although I'm a Chinese Singaporean, I ain't very used to sharing food with others.

My family had this habit of putting the food in the kitchen and we scooped whatever we want to eat.

There is always a master spoon per plate.

So I was horrified that some of them used the same fork/spoon to take seconds after they had put them in their mouths.

I don't know whether your beloved young man does this...  taking food from your plate mid-way through the meal?

Guest abang1961

This is the week where Singapore is reported throughout the media world.

Yes, I'm talking about the Trump-Kim meeting.

I believe the estimated budget of SGD $20 million spent on holding this meeting (averaging out as about SGD 5 per citizen) for the sake of WORLD PEACE (so Miss Universe, right!) is justified.  There may not be profound conclusions from the 1-day meeting but this is a very significant step.  

I wish the world will be a better place without fear of nuclear invasion, at least not in my lifetime.  So peeps, keep your brace for that Singapore explosion in the next few days...  The venue of the talks is Sentosa, an island resort.  This was where I took "revealing" pictures at the beach...too bad, I can't be doing a commemorative photoshoot for the event as the island will be off-limits for the next few days.

Interesting read:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/hosting-trump-kim-summit-will-give-singapore-publicity-to-cost-s-10415386

I'm still getting this message when I try to upload a photo:

The server returned an error during upload..

Guest abang1961

Well, that meeting came and gone ... and it seems like a good start for world peace 

There are many winners beside the successful meeting.

It put Singapore on the lips and screens of many people in the world.

Almost all the major TV stations and networks were here.

Yes, Singapore was one of the most googled words in the past few weeks and that would probably bring some tourist dollars to this region. See I'm not that selfish.  I like to share some wealth with my neighbors in Malaysia, Thailand et al.   The SGD 20 million reaped so much good publicity for the region.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/trump-kim-summit-pr-coup-singapore-global-publicity-worth-over-us200-million-experts-say

I wanted to add a Kim photo but since this is a gay forum, how about Korean hunks during their naval (navel?) training?

korea-exercise-3802.jpg?w=300

A rather stellar  (bias?) report for your reading pleasure written by Tyler Cowen is an American economist and economics professor at George Mason University Source: 

SINGAPORE — United States President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un are spending such a short amount of time in Singapore this week. Maybe they should stick around longer to see what makes its economy tick.

Singapore is an especially wealthy nation, with a per capita income of about US$90,000 (S$120,000), well above that of the US. But how is this prosperity maintained, and why has Singapore commanded so much admiration from liberals and conservatives alike?

Singapore has many features shared by other wealthy countries, such as a high capital stock, a predictable legal environment and a well-educated workforce, but what are some of the less common factors behind its success?

Strikingly, Singapore is one of the few countries where there is brain drain into the public sector. This stems partly from the high salaries paid.

Top bureaucrats typically receive more than their American equivalents, and Cabinet-level pay may exceed US$800,000, with bonuses attached that can double that sum for excellent performance.

Yet it's not just about the money. Since independence in 1965, Singaporean leaders have cultivated an ethos of public service in the bureaucracy.

The country moved from being relatively corrupt to having one of the best ratings on transparency indexes.

There are now complex and overlapping incentives whereby top public-sector workers are paid well, respected highly, and develop the personal networks for subsequent advancement in either the public or private sectors.

I've met a number of times with Singaporean government officials, and I've always been impressed with their state-of-the-art social science knowledge.

The participants typically have top educational backgrounds (doctorates from Harvard or Princeton are common, and now two of Singapore's universities have achieved world-class status).

Their analysis is pragmatically geared towards finding the right answer or at least a workable solution.

I view the development of Singaporean civil service culture as one of the world's great managerial and political success stories of the last 50 years, though it remains understudied and underdiscussed in the West.

Singapore also mixes many of the virtues of both small and big government. The high quality of the civil service means the country gets "good government", which pleases many liberals and progressives.

The high quality of the decision-making means Singapore often looks to market incentives — congestion pricing for the roads is one example of many — which pleases conservatives and libertarians.

Singapore's healthcare system has been praised by both liberals and conservatives.

The country has some of the world's best health outcomes, while spending only about 5 percent of gross-domestic product on the medical sector, as compared with more than 17 percent in the US.

A statist perspective would emphasise that the government owns most of the hospitals, but market-oriented economists would stress that the hospitals are instructed to compete with one another.

Is Singapore a small government or a big government country? The correct answer is both.

Government spending is about 17 percent of GDP, which makes it look small and helps hold down taxes, which is good for business and productivity. (And there are no additional state and local governments.)

But if you look at stocks rather than flows, the government owns shares in many critical Singapore businesses, plus it de facto controls lucrative sovereign wealth funds.

The government claims ownership of the land, although it allows for active markets for transferring rights of use. All of these resources give the government the ability and credibility to get things done.

One of the most common caricatures of Singapore is as an authoritarian state where you can be tossed in jail for chewing gum.

The government does still regulate chewing gum, in part because it was being used to jam the sensors on subway doors. But is this so different from a wide array of proscribed substances and public-health regulations elsewhere?

These days, it is best to think of Singapore as a democracy with legitimate elections, although it is a democracy with some restrictions on political entry and political speech (attacking political figures by name and character can lead to expensive libel suits).

The most significant barrier to entry probably is that the dominant political party, the People's Action Party, has amassed so much talent, and is such a vehicle for career advancement, that potential competitors find it hard to mount serious challenges.

There are also plenty of American states and cities where a single party has a dominant, persistent advantage.

Overall, I see the government of Singapore as more responsive to public opinion than the federal government in the US, or for that matter the European Union.

You don't have to approve of everything that goes on in Singapore to grasp what a unique and successful blend of political and economics the nation has created. BLOOMBERG

Guest abang1961

To all the daddies in this forum (with real biological children or keeping a boy-son),

Yes, someday I will find myself the Prince of my DADDY.

Happy-Fathers-Day.jpg

il_340x270.1258144799_4nby.jpg?version=0

happy-fathers-day-sms.jpg

Guest abang1961

As if my world isn't busy enough, these few days is a complete riot.

Tues 12 Jun   - Must watch the Trump-Kim Live Broadcast

Thurs 14 Jun  -Must see the handsome football/soccer players at the opening ceremony at Moscow's World Cup

Sun 17 Jun    - Must witness all the dragon boating hunks and the drool-worthy Young Daddies with their toddlers 

Mon 18 Jun   - Chinese festival. It is the annual Dumpling Festival.  I just had 2 lark-laden ones and that can only mean more brisk walking, more ogling of hunks at the tracks/gym/pool. 

The last 3 events - who can complain? 

33823890523_d11f1ffeab_b.jpg

Guest abang1961

Regular contributors to this forum would have noticed that my inputs are getting lesser in the past 2 months.

It has, of course, due to my declining health but the real reason is that the discussions are no longer as vibrant, varied and interesting anymore.  

I would not want to bore you with too much "I'm smarter than you " posts cos I ain't.

There is less chance of me dropping into Thailand in the next few months because the doctors had advised me on a travel ban. 

Another reason is that most of my so-called friends in Singapore have skipped Thailand for greener pastures in Taiwan when the exchange rate is just as favorable as the Thai baht.  So lesser trips for me at least in the foreseeable future.

You have a refreshing take on Thailand and SE Asia that would be missed if you throttled back too much. You have great recall and offer perspectives most contributors cannot.  You may be temporarily confined to Singapore but please don't let that keep you from participating in the forums.

Best wishes for a rapid recovery. Although most of us never meet in person, we come know one another through what we write. And you write well.

You have a refreshing take on Thailand and SE Asia that would be missed if you throttled back too much. You have great recall and offer perspectives most contributors cannot.  You may be temporarily confined to Singapore but please don't let that keep you from participating in the forums.

Best wishes for a rapid recovery. Although most of us never meet in person, we come know one another through what we write. And you write well.

+1

+1

Sorry to hear you are not well and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I am curious why Singapore guys are abandoning Thailand in favour of Taiwan. What do you think are the reasons for this?

My guess is the chinese tourists from china really crowding all the places in bangkok.

My guess is the chinese tourists from china really crowding all the places in bangkok.

nothing wrong with that and there's room for more,  boys need to earn a living somehow and from my observation while mainlanders are not offing that much they are good tippers, I never saw farang tipping boy 1000 baht for just being on the stage but saw Chinese , both ladies and a guy doing that. 

It has, of course, due to my declining health but the real reason is that the discussions are no longer as vibrant, varied and interesting anymore.  

I would not want to bore you with too much "I'm smarter than you " posts cos I ain't.

There is less chance of me dropping into Thailand in the next few months because the doctors had advised me on a travel ban. 

Another reason is that most of my so-called friends in Singapore have skipped Thailand for greener pastures in Taiwan when the exchange rate is just as favorable as the Thai baht.  So lesser trips for me at least in the foreseeable future.

get better fast as it's very unhealthy to be sick. 

Please read reader's post right under yours as many times as you need to memorize it as  he had spoken for many if not for all of us , contributors and readers here.

Nothing wrong with switching to Taiwan but if you do , keep us posted. 

And I bet you will miss Thailand not before long - you are just too close to her to avoid temptation of short flight and being there again

Guest abang1961

I lost almost 5 kg in the past 2 weeks due to a lack of appetite.

My stable was a flask of cereal drink every hour - that's way too healthy.

Thank you very much for all your kind words in this thread and also in private messages.

I owe you guys a meal - come to Singapore! (doing my very best to boost my domestic economy)

Now why Taiwan over Thailand...

1.  Language.  I speak Mandarin and Taiwanese Hokkien and hence it is much easier to communicate with the local guys. There is this chance of a boyfriend connection during your stay in Taiwan.  Taiwanese guys do speak some form of English - most of them have a college education.

2.  No money exchange.  Unlike the Thais when you know it is a financial transaction, Taiwanese guys do not ask for gifts. Most Taiwanese friends just split the payment accordingly. You can actually see more sights because the weather in Taiwan is cooler and yes, the boys are more fashionable/updated. 

3.  Better body and face  Most Taiwanese like Singaporeans have to undergo a military training.  This will push out those under-nourished boys from Issan.  No acne-infested boys.  There are tons of gyms in Ximending and you can find hordes of hunky guys on Grinder, Jack'd.

4.  Transportation.   This is a real plus as subways in Taipei and Kaohsiung are affordable and yes, I have zero problems moving from one spot to another - Danshui is known for its beautiful sunset and within an hour, after 1 train ride and 1 bus ride, I am soaking in the mountain springs/onsen at HuangChi. The high speed rail from Taipei to Kaohsiung takes about 100 minutes for the 345 km route.

1.jpg

This is the lobby of Boulevard Station, Kaohsiung. 

Sunset at Danshui

danshui-in-one-day-history-food-and-nigh

Huang Chi - sadly, the infamous Huang Ding folded its business in Mar 2018..

1431329289-1673768492_n.png?v=1431329291

Guest abang1961

Perhaps I may want to organize a gay pilgrimage to Taiwan in end-October 2018 (I hope by then I can be in the pink of health).

We can start with the Taipei Pride.  It will take about 4 days to see the sights in Taipei alone.  If we are game for more, throw in the beautiful Pacific Coast-Hua Lien for its natural Taroko Gorge and the tribal villages in Taitung.  That can easily grab up 7 to 8 days.  

Next, after savouring Taiwanese meat, you can fly to Bangkok for your regular fix.  Is one week enough? You guys return to Taipei and this time, we will go eastwards - Tainan (historial), Taichung (food) and Kenting (for the beach and the rock formation). Once we are all oiled up, it is time for the Kaohsiung Pride. 

Taipei - end Oct

Kaohsiung - end Nov

The entire itinerary is quite long and there is no need to join both parts of the tour.  The exchange rate is about 1.05 times Thai baht.  All the money you saved on pampering your Thai bar boys can be generated to better use.  Who knows, that dishy guy may be the one to bring you home.  

Christian PFC was in Taiwan during Spring and he should be able to a Westerner's point of view with regards to expenditure, meet-ups and more.. Language isn't a problem because it is quite easy to navigate around in bigger towns.  The Taiwanese are apps-savvy so get yourself equip with Line, Grinder etc.

Guest abang1961

That's only one good thing about laying in bed, without a partner.

Yes, I started to surf and read all kinds of nonsense.

Please bear with me to the end - we can do a little dancing together.

Issue 1 from the straight world

One horny Singapore husband

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/raising-7-children-under-3000-month-singapore-large-family-10462664

How this family survives with 7 children on a single income?  I wanted to tell the husband, use your hand or do you know when to withdraw? Can you provide your children with the SAME quality of life (like any kids raised in Singapore)?

Issue 2 from a religious world

The Eastern State of Malaysia, Terengganu which is basically a beach-sunshine haven bans bikini.  

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/06/24/terengganu-beaches-should-be-placed-with-dress-code-signs-says-state-mca/

This is so  LOL - one of the biggest revenue for this state is going to the flames.  If the woman has to cover up, the partner (usually a hunky male) won't bother to go there by themselves.  Is the authority at this state still living in the age of rice and chili?  I know I won't go there. You know, I'm too sexy for my shirt -