numazu

Bangkok/Pattaya June-July 2016 Trip Report: To Butterfly or not to Butterfly

Guest jr7011

Just another take on Soda.   I've been coming to Thailand for a number of years and I usually coordinate the trip with a San Francisco friend.  He loves the gogo bars...me, not so much.   When I travel alone I tend to hire off of gayromeo.  Tawan is one of his favorite bars but the guys there are typically too big for my taste, but I usually find someone when we go there together.  When he is not here, I never go there.

A few years ago, on one of my solo trips, fairly late at night I was passing the corner on the soi where Tawan is, in front of the convienient store.  There were several hunky guys on the street at the corner, just drinking whiskey and enjoying each others company.  Of course I gawked at them when passing and one of them encouraged me to join them for a drink for 200 baht.   I stopped and took them up on the offer.  They were all very friendly and said they were from Laos....All in their street clothes.  Had several drinks.  Soda was among them and I couldn't take my eyes off him.   I didn't know they were Tawan guys at the time and they didn't volunteer that.  No effort was made to solicate any business....just several drinks.  The bartender at Tawan was doing the service as I later found out.

Anyway, for the next few nights I made it a point to pass that corner, and every night the guys were out there.  I eventually found out that they were Tawan boys, just meeting after hours.  I joined them for drinks every night for a few hours and, once I realized they were money boys, I got more personal with Soda and we started meeting on a regular basis.  Sometimes I'd go to the bar and off him, other times just meet him with his buddies on the street corner.

Like I mentioned, the Tawan guys typically are too big to appeal to me, but Soda is not that big and some of the other Lao guys weren't either.  I generally like a very physical, body on body encounter...rough housing and wrestling on the bed. I find that the Rio boys and Spanish guys can usually get into that.  A lot of Thai guys aren't into that.  I don't think Soda is, either, but he indulged me. 

Over the years I have always looked forward to reconnecting with him.  He has never asked for any additional $$, but we have sometimes had meals together.  He loves to drink and I've always had a well stocked bar.  A few years ago there was apparently some issue at the corner and the boys were asked not to congregate there....so my room has become a meeting place for them to relax after the bar closes.   I get a suite so there is a separate living area and a bed area.

Soda has learned my "type" and usually brings with him lean, muscle guys who are willing to rough house on the bed.   On my last trip I was in the bedroom with one of his buddies getting wild on the bed.  I ended up getting accidently thrown off the bed and hit the corner of the end table next to my bed, putting a gash in my head...It didn't hurt, but I bled like a stuck pig.  Soda insisted I go to a hospital.  Since it didn't hurt, I refused to go.  He went downstairs and got a taxi and came back up and said "we are going"  It was about 4:30 am by then.  I don't speak a word of Thai, but he got me in the taxi, took me to the hospital where I got stitched up (by a very hot English speaking doctor),he paid for it, and got me back to the hotel at 7:30.

He may have his faults....these are all commercial guys in it for the $$....but he took very good care of me. I hate hearing him trashed like this

This is my definition of Tawan boy Forcing customer Off.

Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well.

you did , you did ,

just almost like describing my first time,  addition being mamasan who stated  "I will bring you boy " and called him over before I realized what is going on.

Then he explained where short time rooms are and how much I'm supposed to tip overinflating figure of course.

and before i could say 'God , help me", we were marching over to Suriwongse hotel short time rooms

Guest abang1961

jr7011, thanks for the heart-warming aspect of Soda.  He is human too and what he did was humane beyond expectations.  

If there's a will, there's always a way.

My friends and I had dropped in the gay bars over the years - just to watch the shows and ogle at the youthfulness of guys on parade. Time and again, I was nudged by them to bring a man back.  I relented as (a potato queen) I was still refusing to warm up to paying for sex.  To date, no matter how good looking the man or how desperate I am for a good shagging, I have yet to engage such services.  Perhaps, i have done too many farangs a good deed for offering myself F_O_C..

Soda.........

.....but he took very good care of me. I hate hearing him trashed like this

welcome to the forum and while I don't think we trashed him that badly, good came out of it because you were compelled to defend your friend.

As mentioned few posts above , our statistic samples are small and all recommendations as well as warnings need to be taken with grain of salt.

I don't think anybody speaking had intention of trashing him , rather our experiences with him acted as good illustrations of what pitfalls may potentially fall on unsuspecting and inexperienced, or in fact experienced too, customer

The intention of my post is not to trash Soda. I was just narrating what happened. Thank you jr7011 for joining the board and defending your friend, and sharing what he has done for you. Again, with everything here, your mileage may vary. 

I usually hide the boy's bar number or name in my posts to protect the innocent, but the Tawan boys are so known to everyone here, I thought sharing Boy's and Soda's names would be interesting.  Maybe its time to hide their names again in future posts. We'll see. 

I really enjoy reading the long descriptive & informative trip report. Your reports always incorporated lots of inner thoughts or emotions that make it more immersive for the reader. I can almost picture myself being there. How I wish I could physically be there.

Reading so much about the 2 Laos boys from Vinapu & your posts, it really makes me wonder how they look, feel (body-wise) & act like. Unlike the rest of the Tawan boys & correct me if I am wrong, they are shorter, smaller in size & versatile in bed. I would imagine I could only afford short time off only & I would avoid asking the question "Are you hungry?" :). Since so much have been discussed about them, eventually if I meet them in person, perhaps the phrase "your reputation precedes you" is appropriate?

Thanks. I do worry sometimes that my posts are too long. I write what I see, and sometimes it gets too personal.

Guest jr7011

Hey. It's all good. Full disclosure. Everyone has their own experience. I've been viewing this site for years. Just now motivated to post. Hope I can be a valued contributor now

Vinapu, thanks for keeping things in perspective!

for me is easy, I don't blame boys for  trying to get more and I don't blame myself for not liking those tactics.It's why I fix price expectations before leaving bar

I usually hide the boy's bar number or name in my posts to protect the innocent, but the Tawan boys are so known to everyone here, I thought sharing Boy's and Soda's names would be interesting.  Maybe its time to hide their names again in future posts. We'll see. 

everybody has own way of reporting. I think if we share names and numbers it helps good boys  to get more business. From time to time I get PM's either thanking me for  a lead or asking 'where you had eyes and what did you see in him".

Even if we are not so happy lead is a lead   . Others still may try to see if that's true and sometimes confirm , sometimes not.

I'd not be surprised if Soda all of the sudden will become very busy recently because all this discussion above, after all our friend offed him after I reported that i was not exactly happy.

Thanks. I do worry sometimes that my posts are too long. I write what I see, and sometimes it gets too personal.

like Thai boys say ' you think too much', trip reports are like boys cocks, for some too short , for some too long , for majority enjoyable and longed for

Hey. It's all good. Full disclosure. Everyone has their own experience. I've been viewing this site for years. Just now motivated to post. Hope I can be a valued contributor now

we hope too, glad you found motivation to join in a good cause

There are always two sides to every story.

but best outcome is when  one side contains both smiles, boy's and ours

Apologies for being a bit verbose.....

......... I am under no illusion that anyone will find my ramblings either useful or entertaining. 

Since I am not a spur of the moment kind of guy, I try to think of a good way to maximize my day tomorrow..........

Massage shops really aren’t my thing. I like to be wined and dined, or wine and dine a special boy, and massage shops just don’t have this.

and massage shops are too impersonal

don't worry about length and keep typing. If you think post is too long just divide it into two.

From my experience I suspect you have as much fun creating those reports as we have reading them , I have no doubt I speak for quite a few.

too much planning may spoil experience if things are not going as planned. On my last trip which I planned and executed to visit Tawan on the first night for  a first hour I was depressed since none of boys I wanted to see were there and two I noticed ignored me for a good while.

You can off and whine/dine massage boy too.

Naked boy is mutilating naked you and you call it impersonal ? Definitely there's need to 57 kinds of ketchup for all our various preferences 

do not dare to worry about being too long lol, they are awesome, you're style is mezmerizing, particularly the "too personal" parts! 

Too bad I couldn't catch you this trip, but next one for sure! :-)

I think you are doing yourself an injustice.

I, for one, enjoy reading your reports.

The only downside is making me realise what my younger self missed.

Keep it up ----pun intended

Thanks :). Don't worry about thinking you missed out on anything, there's plenty of time to make up for it!

do not dare to worry about being too long lol, they are awesome, you're style is mezmerizing, particularly the "too personal" parts! 

Too bad I couldn't catch you this trip, but next one for sure! :-)

And looks like I'll miss you again this September :-(. Maybe December? LOL. Hope your other world travel is going good.

Back in the room, I try to get the business side of this meeting out of they way. I tell him I was not sure if I want short time of long time tonight, but wanted to agree on a price. He quoted 2000 and 3000, I find this really reasonable. I promised him I’d also give him his off fee (Dream Boy is 650 baht) tonight no matter what time we finish, and if it was short time, he had a choice of going back to his bar for more work and get the night off. He appreciates this and says he will probably just go home.

I like you way of doing things. Boy obviously is decent and did not take any advantage of  being already in your room demanding who knows how much and more like some others mentioned previously.

And since he quoted you what we suspected are going rates for higher shelf level boys in BKK , now we have a confirmation.And 1500/2500 must be still kicking and alive  in soi Twilight, perhaps even less if there's drought. 

Day 10: Condoms and Condos

I get great sleep last night; maybe my first full nights rest this week. Dream Boy Thai Guy (DTG) is still (1) very much asleep and (2) very much still wrapped around me. The coldness of the room is a contrast to the sweat that forms where our bodies touch, both of us under the covers. He is the only guy that I can cuddle with and not get woken up. I’m impressed by his physique. Sound asleep, not flexing, and you can still see 6-8 abs and very prominent pecs. I love the sounds of his breathing as he sleeps. He shifts position and turns his back to me. I am big spoon, cuddling him, and feel his strongly muscular torso. He is warm, inviting, too inviting. This is too good to be true.

I break away, I take my phone, message PNGguyBKK, telling him I long-timed DTG. He said he knew that we would hit it off. No jealousy, just well wishes.

Pretty soon DTG wakes up. It is 12:30 PM and thank goodness I asked for late check-out today. I am only staying one night here at the Crowne Plaza, because I check-in to my AirBNB condo this afternoon for 8 nights.  He checks the time and is shocked about the lateness. He apologizes, saying we missed breakfast. I tell him to not worry about it, but told him I did need to get going soon because I needed to check-in to the condo. He hurriedly showers and puts on clothes. He says he needs to take care of some personal things this afternoon, but says he is free for me in a couple of hours after, if I needed him.

The butterfly in me is conflicted. Should I continue to see this great guy, or should I take the chance in meeting a new guy tonight? It’s a ridiculous conundrum to have, but that’s what Thailand is, an embarrassment of riches. I tell him I am not sure about my plans tonight, but will let him know if I need him. Maybe keeping my distance is best for now. More than just a dynamo sex object, the brain, the charm, the smile, he is the complete package (and much much more), probably the most dangerous kind of money boy out there. I need to be careful.

Before he leaves I give him his money. 3000 baht plus 650 off fee. He thanks me and hugs me and says he hopes he sees me again. He leaves and I hurriedly pack for the condo. Not a whole lot to pack because I only spent one night, but made sure I flushed down the used condom that was used. At 1:45 PM I check out and concierge called a taxi to get me to my AirBNB condo. Wasted the 600 baht I paid for the lounge access (didn’t get happy hour or breakfast), but it was SO worth it getting those extra hours cuddling with DTG. I didn’t fucking care.

51 baht later (I give the cab driver 60), I am on Silom Soi 3 (Soi Phipat). I asked about AirBNB rentals here:

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/10353-condo-rentals-or-airbnb-in-silom-area/?hl=condo

I got great advice from a number of members, especially paulsf who has had extensive experience with renting long-term condos. While I had enough hotel points to cover the rest of the trip (8 nights, 200000 points) to stay at the Crowne Plaza, I wanted to mix it up this trip, and wanted to experience the rental condo market.

AirBNB is a fairly easy website to use. Just like most hotel websites, you can choose the place, dates, and even amenities that you need from a place. There are way more amenities that you can choose with a rental property versus just a hotel, like Washer/Dryer, choosing between a whole home/apartment or just a private room or even a shared room, and other amenities like a pool, gym, kitchen and free parking. You can check reviews from other users, and you can pretty much assess if the property is right for you.  Doing a cursory search for the Silom area in Bangkok yields around 300+ rentals:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Si-Lom-Bangkok-Thailand?guests=&ss_id=xtytwch9&s_tag=1a3CwYBv

It’s a pretty exhaustive list, and the helpful map of the approximate location of the property gives you an idea if it is walkable to Soi Twilight and other popular gay bars (if that’s important to you). With my search I narrowed it down to a place that had a separate living area, kitchen, washer/dryer, internet, with a safe (to protect my passport and valuables), walkable to the BTS Sala Daeng station, and a short walk from Soi Twilight, Soi Tantawan and Silom Soi 4.  All for $40 a night.

I chose a property that is on Silom Soi 3, across the street on Silom to Soi Tantawan, so it’s fairly close to the action. It’s a 10-minute walk to BTS Sala Daeng. I booked it early May for 8 nights, and immediately got in contact with the condo owner. We set up a time that we can meet so he can give me the condo keys and show me around the property. The whole reservation was $440, which includes a one time cleaning fee and service fee. That’s around $55 a night. A Crowne Plaza might have been $120+ a night including tax.

I texted the condo owner the day before to confirm the time, and now, at 2 PM, I call him at the lobby of the property. He lives in the condo property, so he goes down to the lobby and greets me warmly.

Without revealing what condo development it is, let me just say that it is a new building, so everything looks new and shiny. He orients me on how to get in the property (key card opens the main door), how to use the elevator (key card operates it). I make note of what floor it is. It is on a high floor. We get to the room. It’s a sleek and modern room. Separate kitchen and living area, dining table, TV in the living and bedroom. Bed is a respectable queen size with modern linens. Bathroom is standard with a shower and no tub. Only two big towels, which might be an issue, but there is a washer and dryer. Instruction sheet on how to connect to internet, phone numbers to call for hospital and police department, as well as the owner’s own information. Fairly efficient and straightforward orientation. The owner is very experienced in renting out the property.

After the owner leaves I check out the other amenities. Fairly big refrigerator, but no water bottles in it. No laundry detergent either. Bathroom looks fine, hand soap but no shampoos. Bedroom is dominated by the bed, but I am glad the bed is big and comfortable for obvious reasons. I check out the safe and immediately put my extra 1000 bahts, some dollars and my passport for safekeeping, out of habit. I turn on the AC in the bedroom, it got cold really fast. Good news. I turn on the AC in the living room and same strong AC. I turn on the TV and cycle through the channels but I really don’t watch TV while I am here so I turn it off.

I make a list of what I need for the condo (just like home!) and head over to the closest 7-11 which is just a very short walk from the condo. Waters, other drinks, small shampoo, detergent, some snacks and other things. I also buy a microwaveable curry and rice thing for lunch. I take a shower and look at the time. It’s almost 3:30 PM and I assess my options. Grindr maybe? I check, some interesting guys on it, with some obvious money boys.

I message old hookups, and get a good response from most. I get into a conversation with PwC guy, who I met up last February trip:

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/10263-bangkok-and-pattaya-trip-report-feb-2016/?p=88969

He is eager to meet again, but will be available after 6 PM.  I tell him I’m in a condo, he says:

post-16149-0-89714300-1468129743_thumb.jpg

Alrightey then. I may see him later. But now, I knew I needed to wrap up some work things I did not finish in Hong Kong. I decide on staying “home” and nuking my lunch and making some coffee. I gather up my dirty clothes and do a load of laundry. This definitely feels more like home way more than a hotel.

Advantage: Condo

While I work I also think about my options tonight. Butterfly? More loving from DTG? I know I promised a friend that I check out his Bangkok BF in his bar. With the recent Soi Twlight bar raid, the non-Thais were driven away from working at the Soi bars. Some had no choice but to go home to their countries, some are toughing it out and finding alternative sources of work. I told my friend that I’ll message his Viet boy if I were ever going to check out Hot Male. Maybe tonight’s the night to check out that bar.

Butterfly Status: maybe there is hope

To be continued…

Please dont censor the names of the tawan guys. Each guy is different, so giving a trip report without the specifics is a big blind spot.

You mentioned about the cleaning fee in airbnb, does that mean that someones cleans the place daily? Coz i see some places dont have that surcharge. If you can kindly pm me the airbnb url or contact, it will be appreciated as i need a cheaper option for friends visiting bangkok. Thanks.

As always a delightful much appreciated read, but if I may give a public service announcement:  please do not flush condoms.  Wrap them in a tissue or toilet paper and leave them in the trash.  (They can block the plumbing and, perhaps more important, if there is a sewage dump (because of flooding, incompetence, etc.) will just de discharged into the river/ocean.)