vinapu

Guys, perhaps we should cool down

Three threads closed in last 2 weeks, that's more than in my first three years since I joined.

Whatever is the reason perhaps we should cool down a little , we are nice bunch of guys here so easily we can afford discarding calling each other whatevers and treating people who disagree with us as enemies.

Yes , some quarrels are spicing up discussions but too much spice renders our locally produced food for soul inedible.

just a thought.

A little controversy and quarreling can be healthy.  Continuous sex talk becomes boring...

How much is too much?  This is difficult to say, since it is so subjective.

I still vote for freedom of speech. :)

Guest ryanasia

Be careful this will turn into a bickering match. lol I am normally against moderation but when somebody repeatedly... never mind it is all good.

There are various ways of dealing with bad behaviour:

1   Ban the members

2   Suspend the members

3   Lock the threads

4   Put the offenders on ignore

5   Just ignore the threads with all the squabbling,

6   If it gets out of hand, try another board for a while

7  Just go and some something else

Options 4~7 are under our own control.

Options 1~3 are down to the board owner.  I think some of the recent moderating is a welcome step.  Perhaps that needs to continue, just to make sure this board doesn't become the one for bitching.

Guest ryanasia

Sometimes I think just delete the offending post would be the best way. The Pattaya thread was going okay but one post derailed it. So just delete that post before the shit storm breaks out. Of course that takes more effort than just closing the entire thread. When a thread gets so bad it needs to be locked deleting the thread might be better as well. 

Again I am not in favor of heavy moderation but lately we all look like a bunch of nuts. LOL I am sure the guy that was looking for ex pats in Pattaya really wants to meet any of us now. :)

So IMHO minimal moderation at an earlier stage maybe better. But that is also a slippery slope. However when somebody says something overly inflammatory that lacks humor or meaning maybe it would be prudent. Then again my posts would all be binned if that were the case. 

I somewhat like the mild name and shame method used in a few forums.  Simply closing a thread and making a mild statement at the end doesn't do much in my view and I'd rather see the moderator provide some language within a post that makes it clear to the offending poster in a public manner that the language isn't acceptable.  For example, if just a part of a post is offensive, just delete that part and insert some language somewhat similar to the following: "Part of this post has been removed due to offensive language in violation of the board rules.  The poster is requested/warned to tone it down."  Most of us know who the 2-3 posters are who start this garbage but they seem to get away with it by the simple thread-closure method being used (i.e., the offending poster is likely not getting the hint that it was his comments that were unacceptable).

I would note the one thread where one poster basically said he welcomed a face-to-face confrontation with another poster (who was obnoxious with his comments) was beyond the pale....especially when that poster would have crushed that kind of comment with an iron fist in a nano second on his own board.  I can't blame him at all for being pissed but his responsive language was exactly what none of us need here (plus the guaranteed net effect was only to goad the other poster to be even more obnoxious and to somewhat irritate a few of the rest of us).

Guest ryanasia

I somewhat like the mild name and shame method used in a few forums.  Simply closing a thread and making a mild statement at the end doesn't do much in my view and I'd rather see the moderator provide some language within a post that makes it clear to the offending poster in a public manner that the language isn't acceptable.  For example, if just a part of a post is offensive, just delete that part and insert some language somewhat similar to the following: "Part of this post has been removed due to offensive language in violation of the board rules.  The poster is requested/warned to tone it down."  Most of us know who the 2-3 posters are who start this garbage but they seem to get away with it by the simple thread-closure method being used (i.e., the offending poster is likely not getting the hint that it was his comments that were unacceptable).

I would note the one thread where one poster basically said he welcomed a face-to-face confrontation with another poster (who was obnoxious with his comments) was beyond the pale....especially when that poster would have crushed that kind of comment with an iron fist in a nano second on his own board.  I can't blame him at all for being pissed but his responsive language was exactly what none of us need here (plus the guaranteed net effect was only to goad the other poster to be even more obnoxious and to somewhat irritate a few of the rest of us).

It can be hard to respond appropriately when one member seems to operate with impunity. If that's the case there should be no law at all for anybody. I haven't ever been rebuked by the mods or owners on this site even when I have deserved it.  If there are no standards at all then just let us all duke it out, I am a big boy and can give out more than I ever take usually.

It seems to me that the owner or mods simply don't care that much. so if the board goes down hill that is their prerogative. However if they want to build a good site, and I do believe given the domain name and lack of activity on other sites they could do so.

Then they should be more vigilant. If they are not trying to do so it simply doesn't matter. This is the best forum for gay Thailand and has the best domain name and with a little effort it could be monetized. It seems the owner/s don't really want that though.

So if the owner doesn't want to commercialize the site let it all stay on and let us fight it out. The only reason for intervention would be legal concerns at that point. 

This site is squandering it's commercial potential in many ways with the bickering. Although there is money in that too. It is the best site for Thailand online and has the best domain name with the most active user base right now.

I would actually consider buying it. PM me Michael or whoever is in charge if you are interested.

This site is squandering it's commercial potential in many ways with the bickering. Although there is money in that too. It is the best site for Thailand online and has the best domain name with the most active user base right now.

I would actually consider buying it. PM me Michael or whoever is in charge if you are interested.

Are you saying that you would like to buy this site to exploit its "commercial potential" ???

One of the GOOD things here is that it is NOT a commercial enterprise.

I will prefer a thousand times a board where people bicker and fight than one where I cannot open a page without adds popping up everywhere...

I am not sure about this, but a potential of a site like this could be an information center for working boys, gay saunas, gogo bars, massage places.  Maybe with some commercial basis?  Or simply as a service to its members?

Guest ryanasia

Are you saying that you would like to buy this site to exploit its "commercial potential" ???

One of the GOOD things here is that it is NOT a commercial enterprise.

I will prefer a thousand times a board where people bicker and fight than one where I cannot open a page without adds popping up everywhere...

No I would buy the site to lose money. 

"....then just let us all duke it out, I'm a big boy and I can give out more than I ever take usually...."

That type of thinking doesn't reflect the type of board we've historically enjoyed here and I would hope that people would restrain themselves from reacting with playground bravado.   Most of us here, I think, are the same in person as we are behind a keyboard and that reflects, at least in my view, that we're pretty much level-headed grownups; unfortunately, there are a small minority of posters who use internet anonymity to display their "courage" (for lack of a better word) to say things which, if said publicly, would cause them to be shunned by most adults.

A little controversy and quarreling can be healthy.  Continuous sex talk becomes boring...

How much is too much?  This is difficult to say, since it is so subjective.

I still vote for freedom of speech. :)

I agree completely with your thoughts above.  What we really need is a "QUIT BORING ME" button.  When you get so many clicks of that button you know you are just boring the hell out of everyone, and it is time to quit or for the moderator to end it.  Yes, I am all for free speech until it is painfully loud,  painfully boring, or painfully childish.  Petty fighting becomes like a drunk singing outside your window at 02:00 AM.  Free speech or not you should be able to take the hose to him .

As much as some posts are utterly boring I would not want a Quit Boring Me button. I just don't bother to read them anymore since of no interest. Although at timesI do read some boring posts because I am so bored.

Better no moderation than over moderation. At one time this forum was so over-moderated that it was on the verge of extinction. Ever since that has changed the board has flourished.

It does seem that there are those who derail topics or side track them although, eventually, all topics seem to diverge from their original intent.

It's great to see the posters here vent and express their opinions about certain other posters. Most of the time,

any criticism results in attacks from the bullies, demeaning the worth of individual posters. Unfortunately,

bullies get away with a lot of crap and this thread shows many posters have had enough.

Of course, the message doesn't get through as the bullies are masters at self justication, twisting words and self deception.

I can see vinapu's point but some airing out well justified, even if it falls on deaf ears.

It's great to see the posters here vent and express their opinions about certain other posters. Most of the time,

any criticism results in attacks from the bullies, demeaning the worth of individual posters. Unfortunately,

bullies get away with a lot of crap and this thread shows many posters have had enough.

Of course, the message doesn't get through as the bullies are masters at self justication, twisting words and self deception.

Indeed there is no justice in this world.  And there is no guarantee of another world!

I'm talking about the millions of children who die of malnutrition each year...