Guest samebb

Questions from a new arrival to Bangkok

Hey Guys!

So I lurked this forum for about a year. I was planning to move to Thailand a lot earlier than I did. 

I have been in Bangkok 2 weeks now. Grabbed a condo on a 6 month lease, ect ect. 

I have some questions for you long-timers. 

1. Are you more horny here? Is it the food? I am in my late 20s and fuck... I can't keep it down. This never happened in europe. 

2. A friend took my to Soy Twilight. I didn't like it. Being and English man, the first time I was accosted by some idiot trying to sell me boys.. I nearly punched him *out of instinct from England*. Anyone else feel the same?

3.... MOST IMPORTANT...

I have stuck to Hornet (the app) for the last 2 weeks. I have boys coming out of my ears. I have met 3 now. The first was a real money boy. I wont see him again but it was fun. ( for any of you here he calls himself POP on Grindr and Hornet, currently with a photo of him standing a beach)

The second was a poor 19 year old student living in a dorm. I fell in love. He just wanted a western friend. I took him for food, we fucked, he stayed over and asking for 200 Baht for a taxi the next morning. I thought I wanted to see him again... and then....

I met a 20 year old calle AUN (pronounced AN) He worked at that Japaneese burger place at central mall (near the white Christmas Trees). I can't remember the name. I would never eat there...
Now I am in love...

so... number 4....

I have fucked money boys, rent boys, poor boys, rich boys, street kids and genuine bar pickups in europe, USA and now Asia. Please tell me if I am wrong.. But are Thai boys the most passionate amazing lovers you have ever found?

I hope someone will answer my 4 questions. 
I think I will be extending my lease for more than 6 months :)

Thanks for your time.

A late 20s guy is able to move to Bangkok? Good for you. Guess you either have lots of savings or have a job there. As for Soi Twilight, I think its possible you mean the touts who try to get you to come into their bars. There are lots of them and they are persistent and can be annoying, often grabbing you by the arm. But they are harmless. Just smile, shake your head and say no. As calluna15 says dont lose your cool. In Thai eyes it makes you look stupid. In many years of visiting that soi I have never had any tout trying to sell underage. I really doubt thats the reason.

Guest abang1961

Really? I think you are in the wrong place, 

Perhaps he is perturbed by the incessant approach by pushy bouncers and mamasans when he walked down the streets.

I was staying at Silom earlier this month and had walked down Soi Twilight once only.  My experience was not a pleasant one too.

Guys keep pushing and pulling me to their bars.  If only they know that I was there to look for FREE SEX with another farang!

1. No I'm not, but that may be age-related (50+). Not the food, more likely the heat, both from the weather and emanating from all the hot (and passionate, as you point out) boys!

2. I can see why you don't like Soi Twilight, it's clearly not everyone's cup of tea. As for the touts (be it in that Soi or anywhere else, for any kind of product), as was said before, ignore them and just shake them of with a smiling (always important to smile) but firm NO. Get rid of your English instincts.

3. Number 3 doesn't really have a question, but you say "I have boys coming out of my ears." Yes, I know how that goes.... you open it and get tons of messages. Hence, no need for Soi Twilight (unless you happen to simply like that scene, which many do) or other paid sex.

4. Yes, they are just lovely and amazing in bed ;)

Lucky you to move here at late-20s, I only managed at 50 hehe. Let's go for a drink if you want...

You don't mention if you have been to Thailand before. Are these 2 weeks your first time in Thailand?

2. A friend took my to Soy Twilight. I didn't like it. Being and English man, the first time I was accosted by some idiot trying to sell me boys.. I nearly punched him *out of instinct from England*. Anyone else feel the same?

Nowadays yes, but the first years I came here for holiday I was quite hooked, until I realized I'm paying through the nose and some other other issues I don't like (e.g. non-offable boys)

I have stuck to Hornet (the app) for the last 2 weeks. I have boys coming out of my ears. I have met 3 now.

Did it all go smooth? Endless chat? Late or no show? "I don't know the way?" Unreasonable money or material requests?

But are Thai boys the most passionate amazing lovers you have ever found?

My experiences with Thai boys range from poor to good, with the majority so-so. Whereas with more than 10 Cambodian boys (most of them in Thailand), good experiences throughout. (Burmese positive as well, but the sample is too small. Vietnamese moneyboys in Bangkok so poor, I stopped after two. Vietnamese for free in Bangkok or Vietnam ok.)

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Yes, it was the touts who were pestering me and one of them who did not look Thai at all, grabbed my arm quite forcefully. I was not happy at all. I can confirm I was not offered anyone underage, at least to my knowledge. Thank god! But that is not my thing at all, being touted moneyboys. I can see why some appreciate it, but not my scene.  

Yeah this is my first time here. I was living in Spain for the last 10 months, but as winter came and it was getting colder, I knew it was time to move to warmer climates. 

As for "living here".. I am on a tourist visa, but I found myself a condo in a lovely new IDEO building just over the river on the Silom line.. I plan to hop tourist visas for 6 months or a year, travel some other parts of SEA while I am at it.

I work on the internet so I am working everyday also. It's not a rich kids never ending vacation!

Yeah this is my first time here.

Then you will sooner or later see the bad sides of dating Thai boys* (may are stupid, lazy, greedy, sometimes all in the same boys). Not liking Soi Twilight is a good start.

*I mean for free. If you don't mind paying through the nose, and live in the here and now**, you can have a ball, see recent posts by a447.

**I know many who can't manage anything further than 1 km away and 1 hour in the future.

You just need to be ready for the touts. Assuming you have no wish to be dragged into the bar, keep walking, twist your arm to free it and don't make eye contact.

Punching someone would be a really bad idea.

I don't mind them too much, since I have chosen to walk down Soi Twilight.

What has annoyed me more is the ignorant Indian tailors who keep getting in my way on any old bit of street. However even there I have learnt to deal with it by blanking them, no eye contact & keep walking, even if walking through their arm, sign or whatever other obstacle they put out. They get out of the way fast enough.

I can walk down the soi twilight and back to no end, in fact I often do it even in dead of night just to see how different and quiet such a busy place is only few hours later.

Only bouncers who tried to use force to drag me in were Classics ones and sometimes even I allow to drag  myself in.

What type of work and how you score new clients?

I only have a handful of clients who I have been working with for many years. This is 80% design work, 20% web development. I's not an area of focus for me. 

I have been working in affiliate marketing for the last 8 years, both mainstream and adult entertainment. It's a passive income and provides me with far more flexibility and security. I also do a small bit of consulting here and there, but it's not my personal favourite as it ties me down to hours not compatible with the timezone I am living in. 

I only have a handful of clients who I have been working with for many years. This is 80% design work, 20% web development. I's not an area of focus for me. 

I have been working in affiliate marketing for the last 8 years, both mainstream and adult entertainment. It's a passive income and provides me with far more flexibility and security. I also do a small bit of consulting here and there, but it's not my personal favourite as it ties me down to hours not compatible with the timezone I am living in. 

How does this work with income tax? You not live in the country of your nationality. Your country does not know where you live. Your clients send money to your bank account. Do you pay income tax? To which country? Thailand?

How does this work with income tax? You not live in the country of your nationality. Your country does not know where you live. Your clients send money to your bank account. Do you pay income tax? To which country? Thailand?

he obviously transferred his tax liability from Spain to Thailand when he moved here on a NON-IMM B visa with a work permit ... no wait, he said he was here on a tourist visa .... maybe he is better off not answering that question, particularly if he has already, or intends to, include his account here in his social media profile as requested by the local Immigration Police!

but I am sure if he has been doing affiliate marketing for adult web sites for 8 years he already knows which end is up, or at least who is up which end

and aren't we supposed to be not sucking up to the trolls?

bkkguy

Why is it a trolling question to know how digital nomads pay income tax?

I also wonder if they contribute to the social security taxes of their native country.

Say they become disabled during their stay abroad as a digital nomad, and return home. Will they then receive a social security disability income, even if they never contributed the monthly social security tax when working abroad as a digital nomad? 

Why is it a trolling question to know how digital nomads pay income tax?

I also wonder if they contribute to the social security taxes of their native country.

Say they become disabled during their stay abroad as a digital nomad, and return home, will they then receive a social security disability income, even if they never contributed the monthly social security tax when working abroad as a digital nomad? 

your question was nosy but concern valid and this is becoming problem many people don't realize until something bad hits them.

Upon return they may discover that  they are not covered by social security or health care system until some time from return elapses.

But this varies from country to country and from circumstance to circumstance

Ive had my fair share of working outside the country, albeit with my company. And each countries have different policy on income tax for earning made overseas. And there are also g2g agreement made if one citizen is working on another country and vice versa. For ex. Indonesian working in malaysia only pay 15% income tax here, and the rest will be paid to their home country and same applied to malaysian working in indonesia. Some countries (middle east for example) dont even have income tax. Some country dont even charge income tax for their citizen who earn income overseas.

Ive had my fair share of working outside the country, albeit with my company. And each countries have different policy on income tax for earning made overseas. And there are also g2g agreement made if one citizen is working on another country and vice versa. For ex. Indonesian working in malaysia only pay 15% income tax here, and the rest will be paid to their home country and same applied to malaysian working in indonesia. Some countries (middle east for example) dont even have income tax. Some country dont even charge income tax for their citizen who earn income overseas.

You worked for a company. But for a self-employed digital nomad, it is easy to not pay taxes. Who will know?

You live on a tourist visum for 90 days, when it expires you do your job in Cambodia for 90 days, when it expires you go to Vietnam for 90 days, then back Thailand etc.

Your clients send  the money directly to your account. How can any government find out you not pay taxes? Your own country doesn't even know where you are and the recipient countries think you are a tourist.

So you can easily keep all the money you earn and contribute nothing to society. And then if something happens, say you loose your important client and have no income anymore, you travel back to your native country. Isn't it then unfair if you receive then social security for being unemployed? You have contributed nothing.

That is why I am so curious how this works with digital nomads.

Well, if you are in a country more than 3 months, you are liable for tax in that country. I was in Spain 10 months, and payed income tax there. Right now, I am not a taxed citizen, but after 3 months I will be liable for tax.

I have no problem discussing this issue. I actually hate the term "digital nomad". I am just location independent.

I have a company in Estonia (EU) and I am a E-Citizen of that country. My business liabilities all reside there.

As said previously, I am not a tax dodger. I am also no liable for a work permit, as I am not working in Thailand. My company is in Estonia. It's still a grey area in most of the world. I do no business in this country. Not a cent.

My time in Spain, I paid income tax there. I was registered as a resident (you get a NIE from the local police station) The rest is straight forward as you can always find an English speaking accountant locally to help you out.  

As for my home country, the United Kingdom, I am not registered as working there. When I left I de-registered as self employed.

I am not liable to pay tax to the UK when working abroad. I know not all countries are the same as this, specifically the United States.

Having been in Thailand only 3 weeks, I am yet to start looking into tax liability here. As I am sure you are aware there are thousands of so called "digital nomads" in Thailand, mainly for the weather and cheap living (I came to escape Europe's winter). There is much advice online about this and yes, you can pay tax in Thailand on a tourist visa. No government says no to money it seems. 

At the end of the day, I do not know how long I will reside here yet. I don't know if I will have to leave for business reasons, family, anything else. 

There may be thousands of these digital nomads in the country who are avoiding tax and living in a grey area of the law. Many have been here for many years hoping VISAs and applying for new passports when they get to many stamps. I am not one of those people. 

Hopefully I have put some of your minds at ease! 

Thanks