floridarob

Chinese New Year- Pattaya or BKK?

Going to be in Thailand during this time....is one place better than the other for this weekend....and why?

I was planning on Pattaya , then I figured this out...always happens when I'm traveling, I miss certain events/things to do because I didn't realize what was going on.....like the foam party at Babylon. Been to one, wasn't anything special that I remember.

Any other input?

Thanks

Guest ronnie4you

Bangkok has much more of a Chinese presence than Pattaya, but for me, Hong Kong would be the place to go. What kind of festivities will you be looking for?

Guest samebb

The western new year did not happen in Bangkok, out of respect for the late king....

Will the same happen? I am no expert however my understanding is Thailand is still in their year of morning. 

Bangkok has much more of a Chinese presence than Pattaya, but for me, Hong Kong would be the place to go. What kind of festivities will you be looking for?

Fun sex and party stuff... What was it like in Thailand, the mourning.....???

I was in Cuba when Fidel died and there was a mandatory mourning of 9 days, no partying, no music, no alcohol....was quite boring.

Soi 4 and Soi Twilight were pretty festive new years eve, so personally I'm expecting roughly the same for chinese new years, plus I bet there will still be some fireworks, esp. on Soi Thaniya.  Don't know what the plan is for chinatown.  probably more subdued than other years but probably still some activities.  

The "hard" period of mourning is over, and now the country is in "subdued" mode.  (The 20th of the month is another anniversary merit-making day for the late king.  Don't know if there will be special rules for the entertainment zones that day.)

In years past some of the saunas have special parties.  Maybe someone else knows if those are still on.  not my scene.

Guest abang1961

To be fair to Thailand and the neighbouring countries, I reckon that Chinese New Year is a major celebration here in Singapore. Unlike in Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur is quite deserted as many of its migrant workers return to their "rural" homes for family reunion.

Actually the two kilometres stretch of Chinatown, Singapore is now decked with lanterns with the rooster motif.  Come see the vibrant lights and soak in the festive mood.There are plenty of photo-perfect moments while you stroll through the street markets, savouring the sights, sound and smell of Chinese traditions and Chinese take-away food.

Yum-seng (in Cantonese which means DRink to Victory) similar to Cheers or Salute in French.

Chinatown_Chinese_New_Year_Celebrations_

Was twice in Hong Kong over the Chinese New Year period and it was all but dead. Like Kuala Lumpur vast numbers had returned to their home towns in China or migrated to warmer climes for the holiday. There was one float parade and a few lion dances about. Best should have been the stunning 20 minute fireworks displays over the harbour. Several million US$ literally go up in smoke. But even they were a bit disappointing as both times it was spoiled by low clouds and no breeze to blow all the smoke away. Hong Kong can also be pretty cold at that time. In Thailand Chinatown in Bangkok was much more fun.

The western new year did not happen in Bangkok, out of respect for the late king....

It did happen, the only thing that didn't happen were public countdowns and fireworks. I don't know any Thais who refrained from welcoming the New Year because they were mourning. I'd guess that most Chinese New Year activities can go ahead as usual.

I've been to Thailand very December and or January for the past 15+ years. Usually New Years Eve is quite festive here, with boom boxes in every neighbourhood and people enjoying a drink or two. This year, it was eerily quiet, at least in my neighbourhood in bkk. Yes, the mourning period seems to be making a difference. Seacon Square feels a bit like a black and white movie, with only the odd Thai person or farang wearing bright colours.

So it looks like the BKK chinatown celebrations canceled.  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304755

The decorations have been up in Soi Twilight for a few days.  I am sure there will still be a festive spirit there.

Also the tourism festival in Lumpini Park is on again this year from jan 25th-28th.  (I think it runs from about 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm?).  last couple of years have been very fun.  Can be a nice chance to do something with barboy friends before they start work...

In Boyztown last night for the dawn of the year...nothing special than some red lantern decorating post-15872-0-58357700-1485590745_thumb.jpg

Some signs in Chinese saying gay male review. Boyzboyzboyz about 15% Chinese. Paying top THB for off fees. One of the mamasan told me with great pride that one of the Chinese paid 800 THB for one of the "stars" to go before show finished.

Lots and lots of Chinese tour groups in town. Counted 17 tour buses lined up waiting for clients to return to or get off.

Paying top THB for off fees. One of the mamasan told me with great pride that one of the Chinese paid 800 THB for one of the "stars" to go before show finished.

clearly  they milked him off , one can only hope that he tipped boy property , not assuming that 800 is all inclusive.

One of our members / 1 mo Russian ? / while ago reported similar  attempt to milk him for higher off fee at BBB so new visitors beware and ask before you get hot and they see it

Update - returned to Boyztown for Chinese New Year's. Soi much more active, Boyzboyzboyz parade not held due to two Chinese dragons and supporting characters taking over and commanding the street. Every bar setting off fireworks and from the vicinity of Toy Boys rockets were sent aloft. Can't be sure where the launch pad was as I was in row three of Panorama Pub seating. Dragons entered every pub and received a fireworks salute. Not sure why Panorama didn't catch fire as it's fireworks were wound into the roof line. As it was the patrons were sprayed with the residue. All of the BBB staff were in Chinese red, not the boys who were (I assume) inside or in the crowd. At 10:20 business kicked in, dragons left and BBB packed in the patrons. Happy Roosters to All. post-15872-0-23667000-1485648619_thumb.jpg. post-15872-0-07363500-1485648720_thumb.jpg

clearly  they milked him off , one can only hope that he tipped boy property , not assuming that 800 is all inclusive.

One of our members / 1 mo Russian ? / while ago reported similar  attempt to milk him for higher off fee at BBB so new visitors beware and ask before you get hot and they see it

Eventually I believed that 800 baht is the off fee for "coyote" dancers, when they are offed before 11 PM. Although all could be discussed... :)

PS I saw these dragon dances video at FB of one of the said 800-baht coyote star

Myself and Floridarob went to Classic boys on Twilight for Chinese new year. One of the dancers was totally stunning. I couldn't take my eyes off him. I decided not to pay the bar fine, but when I left he followed me outside, gave me a kiss, a hug, and gave me his Line ID. 

2 hours later, we were at the Malaysia hotel having a late night snack and the dancer turned up in a taxi. I accidentally saved myself 500-800 baht!

Was a good Chinese new year in BKK!

Guest abang1961

Myself and Floridarob went to Classic boys on Twilight for Chinese new year. One of the dancers was totally stunning. I couldn't take my eyes off him. I decided not to pay the bar fine, but when I left he followed me outside, gave me a kiss, a hug, and gave me his Line ID. 

2 hours later, we were at the Malaysia hotel having a late night snack and the dancer turned up in a taxi. I accidentally saved myself 500-800 baht!

Was a good Chinese new year in BKK!

Steady man, you must be as angelic as him.