Guest Sanook222

"Theft" from minibar

"No. Four pages about a missing miniature bottle that may or may not have been stolen. "

Not really.

Nobody mentioned it's a miniature bottle - it could have been a large bottle, some of which are worth over 1000 baht, depending on the brand. In some hotels, that may amount to the cost of one night's accommodation.

But the conversation actually moved on a little from the OP, touching on other examples of theft by visitors to our rooms. We've also discussed what we consider to be the meaning of the word "theft" and how we deal with it. Plus, we've spoken about how to manage the minibar and it's contents. And the topic of trust in general has also come up. And how we should be careful not to lead the guy into temptation.

And how we should produce evidence when making accusations!

Sorry, but I have found the topics discussed in this thread quite interesting. It has been a timely reminder to keep an eye on possessions when we have company.

After trip reports--the meat and potato of this forum, threads like this represent to me the reason why the forum exists and prospers: it gives members an an opportunity to discuss and debate topics that catch their collective interest.  

We've had contributions that discussed the unknown factors, offered solutions, considered morality, related personal experience and provided some comic relief.  The ancient Greek senate functioned not unlike this.

Ideas emerge from time to time that that fit into this category.  It may not be obvious from the OP, but one post leads to another and more members become drawn into the discussion. 

Over on the Gaybutton board, the campaign and administration one Donald Trump has been attracting posts for over two years now. It has a loyal following and reflects what many of its members enjoy debating. That's a healthy indicator as is the run of this thread.

The more who contribute, the likelihood of reaching some sort of consensus is heightened.  That can't be a bad thing.  Even if we don't, it's still entertaining.

This past weekend I had a Latin friend stop by. Before he arrived I purchased some disposable razors, took one out of the package and put it in my travel bag. I left the other 3 in the package and set them on the sink in the bathroom to put away later.

My friend came, we did our thing and he went to the bathroom. Once he left I decided I would shower and shave. You guessed it, he stole a razor.

(Seems like we are getting away with something having this convo without firecat pushing back)

No. Four pages about a missing miniature bottle that may or may not have been stolen.

Where is your evidence that it is a miniature ? None has been provided.

I see larger 500 baht bottles in minibars so it's quite possibly one of those.   The one I was billed for ~10 years ago, was, if I remember, in the region of 500 baht.   So the OP is quite entitled to raise the topic.

Obviously it's simply dealt with:

1  Move on from the initial loss

2  Take countermeasures to prevent a repeat (e.g. have the mini bar emptied & secure all significant valuables)

3  Avoid the thief in future, where the identity is known

4  Don't ever make accusations that involve a name without 100% proof.    Even then, think about it.  [No one has named anyone here, so all OK]

And anyone who has zero interest it the topic is unlikely to make further replies ?    [Or is there some lingering interest after all]

This past weekend I had a Latin friend stop by. Before he arrived I purchased some disposable razors, took one out of the package and put it in my travel bag. I left the other 3 in the package and set them on the sink in the bathroom to put away later.

My friend came, we did our thing and he went to the bathroom. Once he left I decided I would shower and shave. You guessed it, he stole a razor.

Two solutions:

1. Only have sex at his place

2. Get a Greek friend; they don't shave as often.

Good experience with potential theft... Met a lovely Thai fellow on the street in Jomtien.  We went to my room and had a wonderful time together.  After some fun he went and opened up a bottle of scotch from the mini-bar and poured himself a drink!  I did not say anything but did make a slight questioning look on my face?  He noticed and smiled and informed me that he was the manager of the hotel!!  Sure enough, about ten minutes after he left one of the staff brought an unopened bottle to the room!!!

He noticed and smiled and informed me that he was the manager of the hotel!!  Sure enough, about ten minutes after he left one of the staff brought an unopened bottle to the room!!!

Risky move on his part , getting privately involved with guest in his room. I guess he knew what he was doing. 

I already posted it twice  here over the years but will refresh story again - either in  2015 or 16  at Raya I was witness of quite a commotion when departing guest loudly accused staff of taking some sum from his deposit box.

Few days later on one of our boards but not here , some poster admitted openly to making himself a fool at Raya  and accusing them of stealing money he subsequently found in his luggage and recalling of placing it there himself.

At least he had guts to   admit mistake publicly , not sure he apologized to staff  at Raya though.

Once talked with a friend working in hospitality sector, he said most times the reported theft cases in hotels have been the guests forgot they had spent their money :) or misplaced somewhere else. Good hotels have separate entrances/exits for staff members and they are subject to thorough checks. Do report to hotel security immediately if you find something missing; not sure about the theft of a 500b whiskey though.lol.

My wallet is in my trouser pocket, and that pocket is closed by stud fastener or zipper (depends on which trousers). Taking the wallet from the pocket and then taking money out of the wallet is not "luring into" or "setting up", it's criminal intent on the boy's part! 19 out of 20 boys I invite to my room are in the same situation: they know my money is in my wallet somewhere in my trousers, but they don't get the idea to take some.

Someone somewhere on the forums wrote that in Japan (?) items in minibar have an RFID tag, and once you take it out, you cannot put it back, and you cannot replace it by an identical item bought in a supermarket. (How do Thai hotels deal with guest taking items from minibar, and replacing them by identical items from 7-Eleven?)

Christian, I 'liked' your post but does not mean I agreed, far from it. I mean you could lock your wallet up or take it to shower, to remove the temptation. And (in jest), if you are videotaping, you ought to provide warning signage - 'the place is under CCTV surveilance' lol.

Some hotels have weight sensors in minibars. When an item is removed from its stowage, the charge is automatically added to the guest's bill. So not sure in this case, whether one could still buy the same stuff from 7-11 and put it back? Potentially you could argue your way out, but ...

Christian, I 'liked' your post but does not mean I agreed, far from it. I mean you could lock your wallet up or take it to shower, to remove the temptation. 

I agree with Christian here, it was in his own room,  if wallet is in the pocket temptation is sufficiently removed, why somebody would be interested in his trousers without Christian inside them ?

Some hotels have weight sensors in minibars. When an item is removed from its stowage, the charge is automatically added to the guest's bill.

Never heard about this but if that's a case I hope never to stay in such a creepy place , spying on own guests. Those must be those places charging equivalent of generous 2 times long time tips or more per night.

Risky move on his part , getting privately involved with guest in his room. I guess he knew what he was doing. 

Why?

On my very first night in LOS,  at the Ambience in Pattaya, the manager came to my room to ask if everything was fine.  One thing lead to another, and after my first sex in this Land of Smiles we parted smiling and he left with a 1000 baht tip.

Some hotels have weight sensors in minibars. When an item is removed from its stowage, the charge is automatically added to the guest's bill. So not sure in this case, whether one could still buy the same stuff from 7-11 and put it back? Potentially you could argue your way out, but ...

Are you sure they go so far?  It sounds very sophisticated for a mini fridge to measure the weight of what is inside... and convey the information to the office.  How they guess what item it is, from a weight?  I had many rooms with minibars. Never touched any of that junk, but I pile it away to leave space for the perishables I buy and want to keep cool.  I don't remember having ever paid for a minibar item.

Why?

On my very first night in LOS,  at the Ambience in Pattaya, the manager came to my room to ask if everything was fine.  One thing lead to another, and after my first sex in this Land of Smiles we parted smiling and he left with a 1000 baht tip.

I don't mind it at all but hotels policy may prohibit staff from visiting guests in their rooms.   

I don't mind it at all but hotels policy may prohibit staff from visiting guests in their rooms.

That's correct usually hotel staff aren't aloud to pay a 'visit' to guests room but I assume because he was the manager he aloud himself to break this rule.

Christian, I 'liked' your post but does not mean I agreed, far from it. I mean you could lock your wallet up or take it to shower, to remove the temptation. And (in jest), if you are videotaping, you ought to provide warning signage - 'the place is under CCTV surveilance' lol.

On the contrary, I will leave my trousers with my wallet with a small and counted amount of money in the room (while I take a shower) with various boys more often in the future, to see who is a thief and who not. (But probably without video surveillance.)

He strongly suspected that this particular boy was stealing from him but he had no way to prove his theory....

Christian was content with proving his suspicions were correct.  To a scientist, this is not to be taken lightly. It is, in fact, its own reward.

I knew from two precious encounters, by counting money in my wallet before and after the boy, that he is a thief. But I wanted the theft on video, for my own and my readers' entertainment.