bucknaway

Crazy....

This weekend I have to make a choice on my vacation. Will I come to Thailand, Mexico, Columbia or Brazil?

I have been waiting for Qatar to offer airfare around $700 USD, give or take $200 USD. Right now I am looking at $1200 USD. I decided to go to

BT-Travel and check out the cost of a ticket from Philadelphia to Rio, from Rio to Bangkok, From Bangkok to Philadelphia. The cost is $2,200 USD

for such a trip in September...

Now I have something to consider. I hate the idea of not seeing my friends in Thailand this year and I am trying to keep Thailand in the loop but

I can't stand the Tokyo airport connection. I don't know why I hate it, but I hate it. I hate it enough to give Thailand a pass if I have to connect using that airport. It seems all the flights out of Tokyo have always landed me in Thailand after 9pm I would get to my hotel around 12am making a night of fun difficult.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has flown from a latin country to Thailand and what they thought once the flight ended.

I have taken Rio to South Africa and then SA to BKK. That was years back and I used Thai Airways for the last part of the trip.  I found that a much more relaxing trip than going back to USA and then going to BKK. I hope that helps.  Good luck in your planning.  Just don't take Air India for any reason!

Now I have something to consider. I hate the idea of not seeing my friends in Thailand this year and I am trying to keep Thailand in the loop but

I can't stand the Tokyo airport connection. I don't know why I hate it, but I hate it. I hate it enough to give Thailand a pass if I have to connect using that airport. It seems all the flights out of Tokyo have always landed me in Thailand after 9pm I would get to my hotel around 12am making a night of fun difficult.

I loved flying through Tokyo at least when Delta flights continued onto Bangkok. Had enough time for a shower and then to the next flight. But I go to Thailand long term so arriving late at night is not a problem. 

It seems all the flights out of Tokyo have always landed me in Thailand after 9pm I would get to my hotel around 12am making a night of fun difficult.

3 hours ?are you walking from Swampy? take a train or taxi.

Getting to hotel around midnight is not a bad thing, some bars are still open - Screwboys has show at 1 a.m. and many boys are going home so you may pick up familiar face on the street saving on drinks and off fees.

The last time I took the train was a pain in the ass. I managed to get the last train out. I made it by the skin of my teeth. When I got to my stop the taxi drivers saw my luggage and looked at me with $$$ in their eyes. By the time I got a driver to use the meter, i was over it. Having to keep an eye on my bags, laptop and passport while going from taxi to taxi opening doors, closing doors and dragging my stuff to the next one or backing away from the curb till the next driver stopped.

I will skip the train, I can stand the stress hehe

I always took train if i landed at suvarnabumi, and my hotel is always very close to the train station too. If i landed at don mueang, ill take taxi to my hotel, but usually the hotel will be close to train station anyway. I have yet tried using train from don mueang, nor have i tried taking bus from don mueang to mo chit bts, not gonna happen with the luggage lol. If your hotel is not close to bts or mrt station, dont bother taking train.

Guest abang1961

It is quite a scene when passengers and staff-alike rush for the last train.

Here in Singapore, the subway from Changi Airport stops at 11.15 pm and the buses an hour later.

I prefer to take flights arriving at Suv because the walking to the subway is minimal.  However, at times when the flights arrive at DMK, I have no choice but to jump on the A3 bus.  Why A3 instead of A1?  A1 goes to Mochit and I've experienced major traffic jam during the bus trip.  A3 runs on the expressway until they arrive at Pratunam area.  The bus journey should take about 30 minutes. I will then hop on the skytrain at Ratchadamri to Silom.

I have no choice but to jump on the A3 bus. Why A3 instead of A1? A1 goes to Mochit and I've experienced major traffic jam during the bus trip. A3 runs on the expressway until they arrive at Pratunam area. The bus journey should take about 30 minutes. I will then hop on the skytrain at Ratchadamri to Silom.

Thanks for the tips, ive yet to ride a public bus there. I dont even bother of doing a google search on the lines.

I actually prefer those late arrivals. Go to the hotel and straight to bed and then the next morning I am on BKK time.

You don't necessarily need to connect via NRT. I don't mind NRT though. The one I avoid is Beijing. Depending where you're going from Cathay Pacific connections in HKG tend to work well for me. Korean connections at ICN can work too. But they're all big airports with similar connection experiences.

Personally I would go to Colombia given your options. All of those stunning guys with giant penises. (at least the ones doing wecam shows online are)

For what it's worth, Dear Husband and I always fly Korean Airlines. It's usually the cheapest option from Vancouver, and Incheon Airport is a futuristic dream. If we have a long layover we have usually been able to get a hotel, either free or using miles. Some years we have actually deliberately booked a long layover so we get a nice rest between the two flights. Last year we flew for $790, this year will be $890, and that's Canadian dollars!

I don't quite undersand flying to Rio "on the way" to Bangkok when it's actually the opposite direction if flying from North America.