floridarob

When will Thailand open to Tourists- question/speculation?

5 hours ago, reader said:

'Safe and Sealed' tourism plan proposed

Tourism operators are proposing a new tourism plan, called Safe and Sealed, to replace travel bubbles and keep Thailand from realising the worst-case revenue scenario of 675

it may appeal  to those who like to be locked in the resort with no need to go outside,  but for others it's just fancy vacation in prison scheme.

If they included in proposal area enclosed by Thaniya, Suriwong, Silom and soi 6  I'd consider it for a week but not for 100 000 baht even if ticket would be included in the price

From The Thaiger

Thailand’s international borders not re-opening for tourists until 2021 – TAT

Thailand is unlikely to reopen its borders to international tourists before the end of the year – the prediction from a deputy governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

Speaking at yet another webinar, this time hosted by Mekong Tourism and TravelMole, the deputy governor for international marketing at TAT, Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, noted that there has been “no talk of a timeline issued for reopening the country to inbound or outbound leisure travel during weekly Covid-19 national meetings”.

He spoke of the Thai government’s “very, very cautious” approach to reopening borders and said he doesn’t expect Thailand to welcome tourists until at least 2021.

“I see no signal from the government that the country will open this year. That’s putting lot of pressure on the tourism industry. The Christmas period, usually the high season, is in jeopardy and I’m looking horribly even to Chinese New Year in February, which is an iffy proposition at best now. Unfortunately, this is not a rosy picture.”

52 minutes ago, reader said:

Thailand is unlikely to reopen its borders to international tourists before the end of the year – the prediction from a deputy governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand

That sounds like I might not be going , lol

I'm heading to Brasil at the end of the week....I'll quarantine when I get there, not alone though ;)

50 minutes ago, floridarob said:

That sounds like I might not be going , lol

I'm heading to Brasil at the end of the week....I'll quarantine when I get there, not alone though ;)

Heading to Brazil with more than 100000 deaths from the Virus ???

The true casualty of covid is far more than just cases and death count. Economy is truly hurt now almost everywhere even those countries not heavily affected by it. Yes it happens everywhere so one might say it levels the playground but it also meams more people lose jobs, more business go under and recovery will be very slow and maybe not possible while the virus is still around. In heavilly affected countries, apart from lockdown and direct death from covid, there are also facing overloaded hospitals and ICUs that could contribute to increasing death rate of other diseases and illnesses as well. And the most frustrating effect of covid to most of us here is not able to go to thailand. 

7 minutes ago, vinapu said:

no, she decimated 1/4 of affected population, by grace of God we are very , very far from such  a calamity with that weakling Covid-19

I hope you are right but we must not forget history and only have to go back 100 years and study the Spanish Flu. Four waves and it mutated over several years and killed 50 million and 675,000 Americans. We are still in first wave and some are forecasting 300,000 by November. Just think flu season isn't even here. 

7 minutes ago, spoon said:

............ And the most frustrating effect of covid to most of us here is not able to go to thailand. 

It works both ways. I am in covid-19 free Pattaya and cannot visit family in covid California for Xmas. 

5 hours ago, Up2u said:

I hope you are right but we must not forget history and only have to go back 100 years and study the Spanish Flu. Four waves and it mutated over several years and killed 50 million and 675,000 Americans. We are still in first wave and some are forecasting 300,000 by November. Just think flu season isn't even here. 

Even if US deaths were to climb to 600k, that would still be far less than from the Spanish Flu in %age terms, so Covid continues to be more benign both relative to the black death (extremely more benign) and the Spanish Flu. And a big (at least hoped for) difference is, that for Spanish Flu they were not able to develop a vaccine, let alone at the lightning speed they're doing it now.

But part of the success (in some countries) in suppressing Covid is of course also it's curse, as discussed here, the humongous economic effects and hardships inflicted on gazillions of people.

Anyway, I have long adopted a total wait and see approach.  I don't expect anything, even less plan anything (in terms of international travel),  so I won't be disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, Up2u said:

NZ now has four new community transmitted cases and Auckland will shutdown again. Compare their response (and some other Asian countries) with that of America, Brazil, UK, etc. If only America had a leader who would lead and take responsibility. 

all 4 countries named above have leaders they freely voted for so one can say they have what they asked for. It looks NZ chosen wiser and is reaping benefits.

Positive effect of covid may be  to sweep   aside wave of irrationality in world's politics in recent years.

2 hours ago, z909 said:

The US seems to only narrowly avoid Trump v Sanders.      

not sure even it's a good news as Binden , decent man he is , seems to start giving it to an age.

I'm glad I'm not an American and I don't face their dilemmas on Nov 3rd

1 hour ago, anddy said:

a big question is if people with good CVs, who have achieved something will WANT to do such job

you hit the nail here,

on another hand person successful in science, business, arts, you name it,  not necessarily must be good in politics. Many brilliant soccer players turned poor coaches and other way around

On 8/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, z909 said:

Part of it is down to having a terrible choice.  The UK had Boris v Corbynavirus.    In a country of 67million, these are nowhere near the best two candidates to run the country. 

But that is democracy at work. The fact is it doesnt work because in some countries (many countries?) the wrong people often rise to the top. Many then do their utmost to stay there. Since Word War 2 the prime example in Asia has almost always been The Philippines (a legacy of US colonialism but Britain and other colonial powers do not look good). Others are not far behind. To say that democracy thrives in Japan is some sort of joke. The CIA backed LDP coalition rose to power after the US occupiers rewrote the constitution and has been in power almost continuously ever since the mid 1950s. Lest we forget, we can also blame the US occupiers for drafting the Criminal Code which includes the prohibition of pictorial references to genitalia which led to the use of the pixilation so many westerners dislike. In Singapore one party has been in power ever since Independence. Many know the reasons behind Thailands strange form of democracy. There is no need to go on.

For those who moan about Trump, Johnson, Bolsinaro, Duterte and their ilk (as I do), how do you propose the system should be changed?

3 hours ago, PeterRS said:

In Singapore one party has been in power ever since Independence.

And a fine job they have done too.    Even though it's barely democratic, that's exactly the type of government I'd like to see in my country.     OK, so gay sex is illegal, but you wouldn't think so on the naked night at the sauna !    One of the finest sights in the world.

Singapore has criteria for candidates to be eligible for the presidency, including previous management experience.    The first thing I would do is apply some of those criteria to our political system.   However, I would change it slightly.    What we currently get in the UK is politicians who have typically studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Cambridge, then achieved naff all before going into politics.     When they're in a position of power, it's no surprise that they prove to be incompetent.      

What we need is more diversity & I don't mean people of different race who have studied PPE at the same universities.  We need diversity of experience.  We need to attract people who have had careers in science, engineering and above all else have grown successful businesses.   So I'd introduce some criteria for political parties candidate lists.   

I have a few other ideas, but as none of this has much chance of getting off the ground, my time is better spent on enjoying life and growing my finances to facilitate that.

4 hours ago, z909 said:

And a fine job they have done too.    Even though it's barely democratic, that's exactly the type of government I'd like to see in my country.     OK, so gay sex is illegal, but you wouldn't think so on the naked night at the sauna !    One of the finest sights in the world.

I agree on both points. But that raises a question (at least one): if you ensure that one party remains in power for 55 years with virtually no end in sight, no matter how good or qualified to how much success it has achieved, is that democracy?

On the other hand, if every country had saunas  filled with handsome young naked men as in Singapore. Id say democracy works :devil:

5 hours ago, z909 said:

What we currently get in the UK is politicians who have typically studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Cambridge, then achieved naff all before going into politics.     When they're in a position of power, it's no surprise that they prove to be incompetent.      

Yet the political system votes them into office. Is the system itself therefore broken? If so, why does the electorate not do something to change it?

I know. There is no real answer. If the USA plods on with just two main parties at war with each other and no one gives a damn about changing the system, what hope is there for real democracy in the west of the world.

1 hour ago, muscfair said:

They should also let retirees in because it is unfair to allow Elite visa holders but not retirees.

retirees are mostly old so are  higher risk group, Elite holders are mostly rich and those types tend to be welcomed everywhere.

But I agree aiming at zero infection is paranoid considering cost to economy and perhaps even more ruining people's lives in order to save them