TotallyOz

What is your Favorite Gay Owned or Gay Friendly Restaurant in Bangkok?

1 I've never seen any restaurant turn away gay customers.

2 Looking for vegetarian food narrows the field enough.   I wouldn't want to add an extra filter.

On one occasion, I remember leaving a gay run restaurant in Pattaya, after another p*ss poor salad offered as a veggie meal.  Someone asked the Thai manager "Where is John ?" (the ex bf).  

Answer:  "Oh, he in London now"

We walked ouf of the door to see John outside his rival restaurant 2 doors up.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:51 PM, z909 said:

1 I've never seen any restaurant turn away gay customers.

I concur with that assessment, haven't ever encountered a gayUNfriendly restaurant.  There are gay customers to be seen EVERYwhere, and in many places some of the staff will be gay too. Even if there is no gay staff, never encountered any issues.  The distinction "gay owned" or "gay friendly" is not a necessary one in Bangkok, and not one I have ever applied. 

As far as I know, none of mine are gay owned, but all are definitely gay-friendly.

There's a new restaurant on Soi Yen Akat (about 400 meters from the Malaysia Hotel) called Workshop. Intimate, mid-price but great food and service. At least one of the staff came from Zanotti in Soi Saldaeng. Portions may be on the smallish side if you are desperately hungry!

Il Bolognaise at the end of the short Sathorn Soi 7 (the Singapore Embassy is on the corner of Sathorn and Sathorn Soi 7). Been around quite a few years, excellent Italian food at reasonable prices.

Near the top end of the price scale, Eat Me off Soi Convent has consistently been wonderful for probably around 20 years. Great atmosphere, impeccable friendly service, Australian fusion menu, several wines by the glass selections - and fabulous desserts!

For a small coffee shop with a small menu of excellent food and again excellent service, Kush on Soi Nanglinchee has become a favourite. For breakfast or brunch, their scrambled eggs with melted cheese, bacon, salad and the largest and best croissant you will find in the city is superb. Nanglinchee is the extension of Soi Suan Plu off Sathorn. Kush is on the right just before the gas station on the opposite side.

For Thai food, it takes a lot to beat Ruen Urai. This is set in a Thai House in the grounds of the Rose Hotel off Suriwong. This s nothing like the hotel itself. The quality is really excellent and the atmosphere almost unbeatable. However, always book ahead and ask to be seated on the ground floor. The upper floor is boring! Mid-price.

The only restaurant that I have ever found gay un-friendly was Indigo off the Silom end of Soi Convent. French cuisine, mid-price and patronised by many of the French community. The owner was a total homophobe who would rant about the gay Fan Club massage being just across the soi until it closed some years ago. I believe it is now run by his son, but after one of his rants 6 years or so ago, I vowed not to return.

G's on Silom soi 4 has become a favorite of mine, especially on my first night in, kind of became a ritual that after checking into the hotel I would head over to Senso and after a couple of hours there would enjoy a meal and beer at G's. My other favorite, although not gay owned that I know of, is The Mango Tree on Soi Tantawan.

3 hours ago, Boy69 said:

If pizza is what you are looking for ☺️ :

Hmmm.  Think I’ll avoid this place.  Comic to hear the presenter talk about how you could be sitting in a pizzeria in New York City! The pizzas look overloaded greasy and with Americanised toppings.  For me a proper traditional Italian pizza is the only way to go.  Hope Bankokians don’t get fooled into these are proper pizzas.

There are so many wonderful gay-friendly restaurants in Bangkok. Several of my favorite places have been listed.

While I agree, most restaurants are gay-friendly, some places have an ambiance  (e.g. too hiso or tables uncomfortably close so others might eavesdrop, etc.) that may put off a comfortable dinner for a typical date night.

A couple of my favorite places. Hopefully they have remained open during this time:

- (Not Just) Another Cup - Nice place for coffee and brunch located in Sathorn Soi 10

- Feung Nara - Mid-priced Thai restaurant in a charming old-house. Located on Naradhiwat Rajanagarindra Road just off an exit for the Chong Nonsi BTS station.

- The Deck by Arun Residence - A lovely place across the river from Wat Arun. Located near Wat Po. I like to make dinner an event starting with a Chao Praya ferry trip from Sathorn Pier to Tha Chang Pier near the Grand Palace. Then a short walk in the leafy sois to the restaurant. After dinner, there is a nearby street flower market that opens in the evening and is a delightful stroll.