TotallyOz

Restrictions being lifted

Having bad mouthed Bitterman, let me explain why. Early last year my friend and I arrived around 6:45pm. About to order from the drinks list in the main menu, I happened to overhear the waiter tell diners at the next table that there was a 2 for 1 Happy Hour until 7 and suggested they order drinks quickly. So we called the same waiter over and ordered our drinks. When they arrived about 5 minutes later, we said we'd like our second drinks along with the main course. The waiter asked what we meant by second drinks. I explained. Of that is only from our special Happy Hour menu, he said. But he had not bothered to give us one, adding we did not qualify for a second drink.

When something like that happens I ask to speak to the manager. Just after 7:00 pm she came over. She blamed us. After a while, she said she would make an exception and give us "second drinks on the house". Those second drinks never arrived despite being asked for a couple of times.

I had Atlantic Cod with vegetables. A disaster! Tough, dry and tasteless. I could not finish it. Our bill for 2 was 2,000 baht. As we left the manager was by the door. I pointed out that the promised second drinks had never arrived. With a surly look on her face, all she would say was "Sorry". Friends had recommended the restaurant, but we will not return.

Businesses do need to appreciate the importance of honouring advertised offers.   I recently arrived at a well known gay bar and was given the full price drinks menu, despite having arrived with several minutes of happy hour left.  I showed him the time and said "still happy hour".  He said "happy hour finished".  I left. 

Admittedly the same bar had been offering happy hour drinks several minutez after 21:00 the week before. However, there are basic psychological tendencies at work, such as price anchoring.

Hi Guys. I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but does anyone think the "guest" policy will change for hotels in the new covid era? Will hotels really allow you to bring back random strangers to your hotel room every night, given that everything else is so highly controlled?

6 minutes ago, JackR said:

Hi Guys. I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but does anyone think the "guest" policy will change for hotels in the new covid era? Will hotels really allow you to bring back random strangers to your hotel room every night, given that everything else is so highly controlled?

in reality, risk wise,  where's difference between random strangers visiting us in our room  and random new arrivals to the hotel with booked accommodation ?  

2 hours ago, JackR said:

There are currently no changes to hotel guest policies.  I can assure you I test that.    Once vaccines are widespread, there's even less chance of restrictions.

I think the covid risks with a guest in the hotel room are quite good.  1 person X a 1 in a million chance of having covid X 100% chance of me catching whatever he has.

Compare with say the MRT with thousands of people X 1 in a million chance of having it X 5% chance of catching whatever they have.

Figures all wild estimates, but I'm sure most people get the general principle.

I subscribe to "The Points Guy" Travel e-newsletter here in the states. They just posted an article about TAT seriously considering waiving the quarantine requirements for travelers that can prove they have gotten the vaccine and can sow a negative test result prior to travel to LOS: Thailand plans to waive quarantine requirements for vaccinated travelers (thepointsguy.co.uk)

5 hours ago, MrBill said:

I subscribe to "The Points Guy" Travel e-newsletter here in the states. They just posted an article about TAT seriously considering waiving the quarantine requirements for travelers that can prove they have gotten the vaccine

TAT do not make the decisions.   It would appear that TAT make noise, but Gen Prayut decides what happens.

The American MD of  Integrity Legal (Bangkok)  on Youtube,  is sounding more positive by the day.  The junta is likely to be more responsive to the demands of business now that vaccinations are becoming available among potential visitors. 

I'm quietly confident about an October visit unless the virus has further tricks up its sleeve. 

On 2/28/2021 at 8:22 AM, vinapu said:

in reality, risk wise,  where's difference between random strangers visiting us in our room  and random new arrivals to the hotel with booked accommodation ?  

Reality, risk- or other wise, only plays a passing role in making decisions and rules in Thailand, as we all know. For the simple reason of TiT.

23 hours ago, Londoner said:

I'm quietly confident about an October visit unless the virus has further tricks up its sleeve. 

I would think you should be OK about that time, with either no or reduced quarantine.  You might have to pony up for covid tests but I estimate no road blocks.

As it stands, the option of 15 nights quarantine still exists.  However, you need to concoct some kind of business trip justification to be allowed out of the UK.  Such restrictions on freedom are excessive, but I suppose it's easier than getting out of North Korea.

The young lad I met last night tells me one of his UK acquaintances is currently quarantining here in Bangkok, so it can be done.

Last time looked, Thailand was just about the best holiday option, since we are allowed in and there's almost no risk of getting covid once here.

By the next winter season, I guess most of us will have had 2 doses of the vaccine.  So if Thailand doesn't have easy entry requirements, going somewhere with more covid could be an option.

3 hours ago, Patanawet said:

And still pony up for $100,000 Covid medical insurance?

That's one of the mysteries of the current quarantine plus insurance regime: as someone living here, would I need to buy that useless insurance when I leave the country and come back? I'm not going to try for some time but the issue might come up later this year if they keep the insurance requirement. As always, I'll just wait and see what happens. No point to specualte until then, TiT.

6 hours ago, Patanawet said:

And still pony up for $100,000 Covid medical insurance?

That insurance is a scam.  It covers Covid only, not other medical issues.  Mine cost 7500 baht and I understand the typical claim for anyone ordered to hospital is 100,000 baht.  If we consider the probability of infection, the UK had an infection rate under 1% when I booked and we had to do a covid test within 72 hours of departure, drastically reducing the probability of infection in Thailand.   It's easy to predict gross profits of over 90% on this scam insurance.

A while ago, I read that the amount claimed was running at under 2% of premiums.

Athough 15 nights in quarantine is by far the biggest inconvenience, all the other requirements probably put off a few tourists.  Therefore making the situation worse than it needs to be for the tourist sector.

Incidentally, I doubt all the migrant workers from Myanmar would have been sent to hospital and presented with 100,000 baht bills.

Of course, if the situation is exactly the same next winter, ie all the Thai rules AND no reasonable alternative destinations, I shall return. 

In practice, I expect relaxation of the rules AND alternative destinations to open.