meteorb

one month in Colombia report (Cali, Medellin, Cartagena, Barranquilla, Pereira)

• Members

Thank you for a great report. I was there a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time. Where did you stay mostly? Hotels or apartments? Did you use short time hotels for your new friends or bring them back to your place? I didn't have any problems but although hotels in Colombia seem to be a bit more guest friendly than Brazil--some can still be very restrictive and that can kill a good time.

• Members
9 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Did you get to Club Tobi in Medellin? No Bogota?

Wonderful report, Thank You !

Honestly, I was in Club Tobi just once but I didn't like it.  Neither did I like Bogota.  Bogota is such a big city that I did not find its charm. 

• Members
9 hours ago, asdsrfr said:

Thank you for a great report. I was there a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time. Where did you stay mostly? Hotels or apartments? Did you use short time hotels for your new friends or bring them back to your place? I didn't have any problems but although hotels in Colombia seem to be a bit more guest friendly than Brazil--some can still be very restrictive and that can kill a good time.

Usually I will try to find a nice Airbnb apartment.  I love to stay in a spacious and well-decorated apartment with local chills and most of the time it is cheaper than a 4-star hotel.  Airbnb tips: 1. pay attention to apartments with "private entrance" and read reviews.  Often "private entrance" means you have an independent entrance to your apartment for maximal privacy (but not always so); 2. Lots of Colombia apartments locate within a residence building with 24 hour security guards.  Be nice to the guards (I often buy them drinks) and it should be OK to bring back guests. the security guard will have to register your visitor's ID which is good for your security. 3. Some apartment may explicitly prohibit local visitors in their listing. read carefully.

However, I almost always use short time love motel for encounters.  I am a hassle-free kind of guy and I don't like to leave my traces. :D  The good news is that love motels are abundant in most cities and most guys from Grindr know at least one place to go. Sex motel in day time is also quite safe.  However, I find it a little uneasy that sex motels I had visited never checked visitors' IDs. 

I also stayed in hotels in Colombia.  I find it is not particularly difficult to bring back guests.  For example, 61Prado Guesthouse in Medellin.  

• Members
22 hours ago, meteorb said:

The price of a massage is from 100 thousand pesos and 150 thousand. 

Love the report, thanks! These prices are very reasonable, but only if we all assume that by massage you mean they will massage your prostate with their hard dick, right? Or they will massage your dick with their anus?

i mean, let’s call a spade a spade...

• Members
24 minutes ago, Tartegogo said:

Love the report, thanks! These prices are very reasonable, but only if we all assume that by massage you mean they will massage your prostate with their hard dick, right? Or they will massage your dick with their anus?

There is no formal definition of "massage". :P  It is really up to the specific terms negotiated. Nevertheless, penetration (either way) may add another 50000 pesos to the bill or may not.

• Members

I would add to your list of advice--Never, ever , ever have any illegal substances in your possession in Colombia. One night around 10pm while walking around to try to meet up with a grindr date I found myself in the rather upscale portion of the hills above Chapinero (the gay section of Bogota) on a rather deserted(but upscale) street. Later I would discover that I had confused the address and we were supposed to meet in the more downmarket neighborhood down the hill. Anyway on this street suddenly a motorcycle drove by and did a u-turn. There were two police on board. One walked over to me to ask what was up and where was i going. My Spanish is rudimentary at best and I explained I was looking for a friend. He asked to examine the small knapsack that I was carrying and honestly I did not think I could refuse in that situation. When he looked inside and saw a bottle of ID Millennium and several condoms his look went from astonishment to a question mark to maybe faint disgust. He asked if I way gay and I said yes and he said "go, go". I can imagine if I had had any illegal substance(not that I would have) the outcome would have been a bit more costly or uncertain.

• Members
3 hours ago, Tartegogo said:

I know at Club Tobi in Medellin a "massage" for $18 US certainly includes oral and can begin that way. The ones who do bottom will, perhaps expecting a $5 or $10 tip. Topping or oral passive is enjoyed as a norm in Colombia and usually free so you won't have problems there.

50,000 CP ($18) is a good base rate and 100,000 CP ($36) is considered high and will get anything usually. 

btw- Colombians have a fetish for hairy men as there are so few there. 

• Members

Yes. Great report. Many thanks. Look forward to being back in this beautiful country. About the security, it is strange that the motels you visited did not take a copy of the boy'ID. personally I am more and more concerned about my security while being in these countries where one bad aventure can cost me a lot...(last year in bogota the hotels I stayed at in bogota did not check also the ids   of guests.). I have the feeling that the most luxurious the hotel is the most probable it is that they will ask ids

• Members
8 hours ago, Walker said:

Can describe the cleanness and the condition of these love motel room?

My major complain of the Sauna in Beazil is the condition of the room.

It feel heap to make love  in this kind of stting

Can you describe the cleanliness and the condition of these love motel rooms?

My major complaint of the sauna in Brazil is the condition of the room.

It feels cheap to make love in this kind of settings.

• Members
10 hours ago, Walker said:

Can describe the cleanness and the condition of these love motel room?

My major complain of the Sauna in Beazil is the condition of the room.

It feel heap to make love  in this kind of stting

I can speak to the one above the hustler bar in Medellin. It's exactly the same as ones I've used in Hamburg and Berlin. A fairly empty room with one window. A cheap double bed with cheap sheets and with cheap towels folded on the bed. But very clean. Exceptionally Lysol clean. But an old hotel built as a small cheap hotel. The definition of "basic". But way above even the extra-cost deluxe room at Thermas in Barcelona. 

• Members
On 5/3/2018 at 10:32 PM, meteorb said:

I was lucky to stay in Colombia in April 2018.  I had visited Medellin, Cartagena, Cali, Barranquilla and Pereira, staying in each city for 5-7 days.  Colombia is a beautiful county and the people are generally very nice.  Grindr works wonders in every city. 

Following is my brief report, in a logical way of writing per se. :)

First of all, three warnings:

1. Underage problem:  In Grindr and on the streets, I had seen some (while not a lot) under age boys contacting gringos.  Some of boys would say straight that they are 16 or 17 years old while some pretend to be 18 or 19 years old but without a valid ID.  Never put oneself in a compromised  situation because having sex with under age boys or girls is a major crime in Colombia (illegal in most countries as well).  While I had not seen fake IDs in Colombia, be very careful and smart.  (when I was in Havana,I saw quite a few fake IDs, particular from men of Santiago de Cuba).

2. In Medelline, there are quite a few homeless-looking drug-addictive young men selling candies and approaching gringos.  They are regulars of Metro Barrio and Park Bolivar and they could be dangerous in many ways, sometimes they getting violent. Better stay away from them and completely ignore them. 

3. Policemen in their twenties are very cute and very attractive in Colombia. hmmm, is there a way... or not?

**** Medellín:   more the abundant men to meet, from Grindr or from the streets (in particular, Metro barrio and park Bolivar).  The price of a massage, typically ranges from 50 thousand Colombia pesos to 100 thousand, but it could be as low as 30 thousand (11 dollars).  The men are more of twink-type, cute and slim.  There are many motels for hourly rent in the center (around Metro barrio and park Bolivar) with a cost between 8000 pesos to 15000.

The city of Medellín is quite beautiful, so called a city of eternal-spring. It often rains a lot in late afternoon or at night in April. The living cost of Medellín is very low, a good meal for 10000-20000 pesos and a nice apartment for 100-200 thousand pesos per night.  It is generally safe in Medellín but it is advised not to walk in the center at night. 

**** Cartagena:   more the abundant men to meet, mostly from Grindr .  The price of a massage, typically ranges from 100 thousand Colombia pesos to 150 thousand. The men of Cartagena are from many other cities such as nearby Barranquilla and Bogota and Medellín.  They are usually more muscular than Medellín.  There are many motels for hourly rent in the old town (walled city) with a cost between 10000 pesos to 20000.

The old town of Cartagena is very charming and has a colonial feel to it.  Cartagena is a great place to visit. The old town is also very safe.  It is of no problem to walk at night in the old town alone. there are also lots of international tourists in the city.  The weather is a bit hot during the day in April, but cool at night with breeze from the ocean. The living cost of Cartagena is higher than Medellín, probably 30-50% higher.  

**** Barranquilla:   abundant men to meet, mostly from Grindr .  While Barranquilla is close to Cartagena (only 2 hours of driving), Barranquilla is a lot more conservative than Cartagena.  For example, men from Grindr here are more cautious to communicate and tend to cover their faces in the profile photos. It is also a lot harder to find a motel in the city.  (There is a motel called "secretos" on Cra. 53# 68-204 in the center, with a hourly price 16000 pesos). The price of a massage, to my surprise, is somewhat higher than Cartagena.  

Barranquilla is an industrial city and I did not find any place particularly interesting to visit.  The living cost of Barranquilla is higher than Medellín.   

**** Pereira:   abundant men to meet, mostly from Grindr.  Pereira is a smaller version of Medellín. A Paisa is someone from a region in the northwest of Colombia, including the part of the Andes in Colombia. The main cities of the Paisa region are Medellín, Pereira, Manizales and Armenia. There are quite a few motels in the center around plaza bolivar.  The price of a massage is from 100 thousand pesos and 150 thousand. 

Similar to Medellin, Pereira is also a city of eternal-spring.  The surrounding mountains and cafe areas are spectacular and relaxing. The living cost of Pereira is probably 20% less than Medellin.   

**** Cali:   more the abundant men to meet from Grindr.  The price of a massage, typically ranges from 100 thousand Colombia pesos to 150 thousand, but once I was quoted at 150 US dollars! It surprised me because it far exceeded the average living cost in Cali. The men in Cali are very attractive, handsome and muscular.  There are some motels for hourly rent in the area of San Antonio(for example, there is one called “Diosa Del Amar”).

The city of Cali is beautiful but I didn't find any place particularly interesting to visit. The weather is very nice in April, neither hot or cold. The living cost of Cali I feel is higher than Medellín.

I think the people of Cali is the most attractive (twink-ish face with muscular body) in Colombia and Paisa come in a second.  But over all, I would rank Medellin 9 out of 10, both Cartagena and Cali 8 out of 10, Pereira 7 out 10 and finally Barranquilla 6 out of 10. Again it surprises me that the cost of play in less touristic cities like Cali and Barranquilla is higher than that of more touristic cities like Cartagena and Medellin. 

In conclusion, I have had a great time in Colombia during the one-month travel.  In particular, all the men I met had been courteous and respectful.  I am looking forward to my next visit to Colombia, and my visit to cities of Santa Martha, Leticia (amazon), and Bucaramanga. 

Whivh of these cities had the worst case of underage boys that I should be cautious of?

On 4/3/2020 at 8:52 AM, Lucky said:

You are asking questions of a guy who has not posted here for 14 months!

13 hours ago, Ozy said:

Thank you very much for the detailed report.

When I read your "thank you," I was eager to read the report.  But when I noticed the date, I thought: many things have changed since then and especially since the pandemic has risen its ugly, horrendous head.  Things have changed world wide, and it is hoped that by mid 2021 that there will be a semblance of normalcy, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not traveling until I take the vaccine, for I DO NOT want to contract the coronavirus at home or abroad.  It's an invisible disease affecting anyone.

Yes no issues. I did that in 2019 and had a great time (my Spanish is really poor). Nothing to worry about but you should be alert/cautious of course (as you would do anywhere else).

There are certain areas of Bgta, Medellin (and most likely also the other big cities) that you should stay clear of, especially at night.

Edited by Speedo1