• Members

As I am one of the many forum members planning a trip to Brazil, should I learn to use Uber? Is it in Portuguese? I had it here on my phone once, but the only time I tried to use it, they couldn't find a car for me! I don't like that their ap insists that it has access to all of my contacts.

But it may be convenient in Brazil for going to the saunas, especially Manhattan Rios. So do any of you have the patience to give me a tutorial? Thanks!

• Members

Contacts access is for referrals, fare-splitting or other conveniences some folks like. You could have chosen 'don't allow' when setting up the app or go into the settings to change it. 

I am not able to tutor fully, but I do find it has been useful to learn how to copy and paste from Google translate in case the driver telephones and we get "lost in audio translation". I usually put the drivers's phone number into my Contacts as soon as his profile emerges so it opens in Whatsapp for texting ... copying and pasting back and forth between Whatsapp and Translate if necessary. This requirement, however, has been rare among dozens of Über orders. 

Not that I want them to risk driving intexticated on their way to pick-up. 

• Members

Install Uber while you are here. It works in English, and does not switch language when you arrive there. and you don’t even need to speak to your driver.

Setup a credit card on it so that you never have to take out any cash in a car. 

In Rio, meter-taxis are also everywhere, very easy to flag. But you need to speak to them in Portuguese to give them your address and to pay.

i am really not sure what you mean by accessing your contacts! Anyway, it is Uber, an international company with operations in 40+ countries. If they were to start misusing people’s contact it would be a huge scandal that would seriously harm their business. 

Install it, and try again (you can see the drivers around your location without booking a ride).

17 hours ago, mvan1 said:

Why would he need to be sure of the exchange rate?

When he summons an Uber ride, the price of the ride shows in reais on the phone's screen.  

I am not clear why knowing the exchange rate will have any effect on the ride or service.

Uber is a large and ethical company and is not known for deception of riders in Brazil.  

At the conclusion of the ride, the OP will get an e-mail from Uber with details and cost of the completed ride.    

I use Uber often in Brazil.  I have never been ripped off or disappointed.

If the OP uses Uber on his next trip, I suspect he will be rather pleased with the service and the price.  

Knowing the exchange so you know what you are paying in your own currency...

I get it money aint a thing...

Image result for duh meme

• Members

Uber hasn’t been restricted in any major city in Brazil, unlike a few in Europe. As of now, Uber is probably the most cost-effective, reliable, safe, convenient and ethical mode of transportation in most Brazilian cities. 

Because of the worldwide popularity of Uber (and to a lesser extent, other smaller ride share apps), taxi cab companies, which have previously enjoyed questionable ethical, price-gouging and customer service reputations, have had to step up their games to compete. Therefore, you can find taxis in cities in other countries like Brazil using apps like Cabify and 99 to hail and pay for a cab with ease.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:00 AM, SolaceSoul said:

As of now, Uber is probably the most cost-effective, reliable, safe, convenient and ethical mode of transportation in most Brazilian cities. 

In USA I only use Uberx (UberXL when I have a lot of stuff going to the airport)....but in Brasil, many times the UberBlack was the same price or just a little more than UberX.....much nicer car and it surely impresses who ever is with me ,lol