mvan1

The Brazilian Real

• Members

Today the real is trading at the highest it has been in nearly 15 years - R$4,07 to $1 - today -

https://tradingeconomics.com/brazil/currency

Historically, the Brazilian Real reached an all time high of 4.18 in September of 2015 and a record low of 0.01 in January of 1993 when it was almost equal to the U.S dollar.

• Members
1 hour ago, Latbear4blk said:

I guess you meant at the lowest.

Come on, you are a bright guy - think about what you wrote - 

We are getting more for our dollar which means it is trading at is highest - not lowest.  

Since you are a nice guy, you are forgiven for this - 

• Members

4 minutes ago, mvan1 said:

We are getting more for our dollar which means it is trading at is highest - not lowest.  

It is not that I am nice or not. It is my very low English skills. Thanks for your leniency.

InsecureImaginativeAfricanwildcat-small.

• Members
13 minutes ago, mvan1 said:

You know what? Mine may be an interesting misunderstanding.

I think we can agree that your wording is ambiguous. If that premise is correct, as a foreigner I tend to position myself on the other side of the current exchange equation. Therefore, I was reading a nonsensical statement.

• Members
1 hour ago, Latbear4blk said:

You know what? Mine may be an interesting misunderstanding.

I think we can agree that your wording is ambiguous. If that premise is correct, as a foreigner I tend to position myself on the other side of the current exchange equation. Therefore, I was reading a nonsensical statement.

?

Don't over read it- the Brazilian real is trading at is highest ever - not its lowest.  

We, who buy the currency, get more for our money - therefore, the real is trading higher to us, the buyer

• Members

I got it, but I do not think you see my point. I am not arguing, I was wrong and totally misunderstood your statement, which of course is not nonsensical.

The point I am trying to make is that, despite all of my years in the USA, I still struggle with including myself in that "we". That is why I could only think of the real as at its lowest level. I am not sure I am explaining myself.

• Members
22 hours ago, Badboy81 said:

Just learned the conversion of real to dollar....100R is under $25 US....$24.75 to be exact...

Things are about to be GREAT this weekend for me...

1 United States Dollar equals
Current exchange rate - 4.12 Brazilian Real -
This is the second highest the real has ever been - 

Historically, the Brazilian Real reached an all time high of 4.18 in September of 2015 and a record low of 0.01 in January of 1993.

• Members

1993 is rather meaningless because the modern real was introduced in 1994. Brasil is not the only nation to evolve currency iterations and power up the mint equipment. 

The more relevant key dates for our purposes are late 1990s when the value was "floated" and dropped to half (about 1:1 to 2:1), and in 2002 when its value reached a modern historic low at about 4:1, similar to the current exchange. Obviously, these figures are USD-centric. 

• Members
18 minutes ago, Riobard said:

1993 is rather meaningless because the modern real was introduced in 1994. Brasil is not the only nation to evolve currency iterations and power up the mint equipment. 

The more relevant key dates for our purposes are late 1990s when the value was "floated" and dropped to half (about 1:1 to 2:1), and in 2002 when its value reached a modern historic low at about 4:1, similar to the current exchange. Obviously, these figures are USD-centric. 

That explains a 1993 rate at the minimum possible in their system. 

Not very clever, but not everyone has time to clean up data on a free website. 

• Members
On 08/22/2018 at 6:04 PM, Latbear4blk said:

It is not that I am nice or not. It is my very low English skills. Thanks for your leniency.

InsecureImaginativeAfricanwildcat-small.

Your English is just fine,  Latbear.

Mvan, exchange rate references value. When you get lots of R$ for each  US$  the exchange rate  of the real is low.

And yes it is a bit confusing  that more equals less. But that's the way folks who use the terms professionally say it and they're the ones who get to define the meaning.

That said, I've gotten considerably more addled in the past couple of years so don't just take my word for it.

PS. Love your gif, Latbear4blk. :D

• Members

Within any given time frame high refers to the highest price that a commodity has traded at; low refers to the lowest price that a commodity has traded at. This means taking the view that one gets, in this case, the same static product for less, as opposed to getting more product for a static price. Though they are essentially both correct. 

From the perspective of a Brasilian purchasing our stronger currency, eg USD, the currency sold has traded high, based on recent trends. 

From the point of view of the majority of this board's members, purchasing reais, the currency sold has traded progressively lower of late. 

The original text in the thread might have more accurately been depicted as exchanging at its highest, ie, getting more for our fixed currency, though the meaning was clear in later strands. 

Perhaps there are subtle differences between a trade (buy/sell) as understood in the formal marketplace, and an exchange. 

-----

For the love of god, please nobody ask whether we are now getting more sex or cheaper sex. 

Either way, fcuked if I know, fcuked if I don't.

• Members
4 hours ago, MsGuy said:

Mvan, exchange rate references value. When you get lots of R$ for each  US$  the exchange rate  of the real is low.

And yes it is a bit confusing  that more equals less. But that's the way folks who use the terms professionally say it and they're the ones who get to define the meaning.

MsGuy, I am aware of how currency exchanges are stated.  Thank you for your thoughts.

"Today the real is trading at the highest it has been in nearly 15 years - R$4,07 to $1 - today" -

The above (one) sentence was my beginning sentence in this thread.   The sentence is clear and it is correct.  

I am curious, why you felt the need to criticize my sentence although there is nothing wrong with the sentence.  We all have our own unique writing style.  

Perhaps the following link will be of benefit to you if you encounter another post you believe needs to be written in a manner to please you.  

https://www.science.edu/Acellus/SpecialEd/

• Members

No need for apologies, Latbear.  

You, along with MsGuy, are absolutely correct. 

Technically speaking, it is in fact the US Dollar that is trading at a near all-time high. 

Logically, this would mean that the Brazil Real is trading at a near all-time low. 

Just run a quick google search  with proper web sites like Bloomberg, Euromoney, or Reuters.  You will see many recent examples with the proper usage. 

And why is the US Dollar trading at near an all-time high? It doesn't take a genious to recognize that it now buys more reais than before. 

As has been pointed out, with a bogus exchange rate listing even before the local currency was introduced, this type of error is not unexpected from a free, second-rate site. 

More fundamentally, why is the Brazil Real so uncorrelated to other Emerging Market currencies at the moment, vis-à-vis the US Dollar?  In other words, why is the Real weakening, when its peers have been strengthening, versus the US Dollar, especially with the Fed's recent dovish remarks on monetary policy? 

Answer:  It is locally driven, and it's all about the local presidential elections.  The latest polls show that market-unfriendly candidates are advancing, both from the extreme left (former President Lula, currently jailed), and from the extreme right (Bolsonaro).    

• Members
51 minutes ago, mark123 said:

No need for apologies, Latbear.  

You, along with MsGuy, are absolutely correct. 

Technically speaking, it is in fact the US Dollar that is trading at a near all-time high. 

Logically, this would mean that the Brazil Real is trading at a near all-time low. 

Just run a quick google search  with proper web sites like Bloomberg, Euromoney, or Reuters.  You will see many recent examples with the proper usage. 

And why is the US Dollar trading at near an all-time high? It doesn't take a genious to recognize that it now buys more reais than before. 

As has been pointed out, with a bogus exchange rate listing even before the local currency was introduced, this type of error is not unexpected from a free, second-rate site. 

More fundamentally, why is the Brazil Real so uncorrelated to other Emerging Market currencies at the moment, vis-à-vis the US Dollar?  In other words, why is the Real weakening, when its peers have been strengthening, versus the US Dollar, especially with the Fed's recent dovish remarks on monetary policy? 

Answer:  It is locally driven, and it's all about the local presidential elections.  The latest polls show that market-unfriendly candidates are advancing, both from the extreme left (former President Lula, currently jailed), and from the extreme right (Bolsonaro).    

What screen name did you use before you created your current one?

You used to post under a different screen name on this forum until a couple of years ago.  I recall your inimitable writing style.  

Or, are you using two screen names simultaneously - one for being civil and one for posting the sort of gibberish you just posted?

• Members
3 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

Peace, sisters. My intention was to point to an interesting semantic situation, no need to start a fight. 

Whatever the technical expression is, I am sad for the Brazilian people but happy because my dollars will probably buy even more in December.

tenor.gif?itemid=10734567

Assuming that the strength of the dollar vs the real will hold until December may indicate an unfamiliarity with the currency markets in general and  Brazilian economic history in particular. Im definitely going to benefit next week. Your benefiting in December is a toss up at best.

• Members
19 minutes ago, JAYBLK said:

Assuming that the strength of the dollar vs the real will hold until December may indicate an unfamiliarity with the currency markets in general and  Brazilian economic history in particular. Im definitely going to benefit next week. Your benefiting in December is a toss up at best.

Agree ... 3 years ago, at a similar trading low, the real began a one-year rally of about 30% in cost that subsequently held reasonably well for about 15 months. Squirreling away now is a good strategy. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

As has been covered to exhaustion on this board, programas have been anchored at about R$100 for several years now. For those of us whose wealth is denominated in USD, that means that the price has fluctuated between $25 and $30, being on the $25 side right now. For those denizens of this forum who seem to do 75-80 programas a year, that difference could add up to the cost of an AirBnB. For the rest of us, it's a meal at a mid-range restaurant at best.