kjun12

DO YOU BELIEVE JUSSIE SMOLLET

• Members

I am having a problem believing Jussie Smollet's assertion that he was attacked in Chicago.  What is of particular concern to me is that he has consistently refused to turn over information located on his cell phone.  He is being just foo reticent in his cooperation with police.

No proof has been given that he staged the alleged attack for publicity purposes but that does linger in the background.

Edited by kjun12

• Members
6 minutes ago, kjun12 said:

What is of particular concern to me is that he has consistently refused to turn over information located on his cell phone.

He is refusing to turn over his cell phone to law enforcement, and I don't blame him for that. I would not hand over my cell phone either. There are plenty of other ways to cooperate without surrendering personal computers to law enforcement. Furthermore, the Chicago police are not supporting the hoax theory (yet), and they've addressed it in a statement.

7 minutes ago, kjun12 said:

No proof has been given that he staged the alleged attack for publicity purposes but that does linger in the background.

It lingers in the background because it's click-bate, and tons of people bite on it in the Trump era of lies, especially in the world of online media.

If Jessie Smollet was stupid enough to "stage an attack for publicity purposes," then he clearly shot himself and his very young career in both feet. Smart people have been known to do very stupid things, especially the self-destructive among us. But I'm very reluctant to believe conspiracy theories spread on the internet.

If the gossip about this incident turns out to be true, then Smollet's career will be over, and he may end up in jail. Given the discipline it takes to break into show business, I find it hard to fathom that a young, talented, Black, working actor would be so utterly self-destructive, especially if he's not a functioning drug addict (which some are).

• Members
30 minutes ago, RockHardNYC said:

If the gossip about this incident turns out to be true, then Smollet's career will be over, and he may end up in jail. Given the discipline it takes to break into show business, I find it hard to fathom that a young, talented, Black, working actor would be so utterly self-destructive, especially if he's not a functioning drug addict (which some are).

I'm with you here.  Mr. Smollet's career was on the upswing.  Why ruin it now by staging a false attack?  Let us all wait and allow the situation to play out through careful and intensive investigating, etc.....

3 hours ago, kjun12 said:

Given his career success to date, why would he need to do that?

Your comment reveals considerably more about you than about him.

1 minute ago, Latbear4blk said:

Well, it looks like he made it up. If it is true, his career is over. It would be such a stupid, stupid movement, and so miserable morally and politically. It makes me sad.

Agree. If true, what a complete idiot.

And much worse than just that word.

• Members
On 2/15/2019 at 3:02 PM, AdamSmith said:

Given his career success to date, why would he need to do that?

Your comment reveals considerably more about you than about him.

And, just what does it reveal about me?  I am interested what thought you have.

3 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

I take that post back, lock stock and barrel. I was wrong. I apologize, without reservation or attempted excuse.

Well, I don't think you were wrong. I read your statement as saying why judge him until we know more facts. I always agree with this approach.  Innocent until proven guilty.  I am not at the guilty stage yet. And, I hope it does not go there. But, it might.  I'd be quite disappointed. But, I was disappointed in Bill Cosby and believed him up until a certain point. 

• Members
5 hours ago, caeron said:

I will wait for the rest of the facts

I prefer facts. I'm glad I have a ton of patience. This story is taking a bad turn, even though Smollet's lawyer has come out swinging. The story gets weirder by the minute, and every news corner seems to be covering it. I certainly wouldn't want the Chicago police investigating my life. I've had a ton of sex in Chicago. The gays there are serious about sexual pleasure.

• Members
1 hour ago, kjun12 said:

This just gets more interesting.

Or more depressing.

In general, actors have a tough life. Very few work all the time and keep a steady income. Black actors have a particular challenge. Do I dare mention gay Black actors?

This story is not looking good, on too many fronts. Very sad.

• Members

I just read the Comment section of the NY Times article on Smollett: Jussie Smollett Arrested on Felony Charge, Accused of Faking Own Assault

The public's mood towards him is not looking or feeling good. If he is found guilty, the ramifications will be severe. Reading those comments, and mind you they are moderated, just goes to show the heightened levels of anxiety that exist in our seriously polarized nation. If Smollet is in fact guilty, he will have done damage that will be difficult to rectify. Serious damage, and all of us may be victims.

• Members
3 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Shit, he is hot. Could this be why I trust him so much?

A sexy, young Black man with show-biz talent, especially a well-endowed one, does possess a certain power.

3 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I hope it is all one big mistake.

It certainly is not looking good. The Chicago police press conference augmented by Rahm Emmanuel's TV tour is a nightmare beyond nightmares for Smollett. And Smollett invited it all by appearing on GMA. This hysteria may not rival OJ Simpson. No pretty blonde woman died. Still, the scene of the crowds following Smollett and his body guards after his surrender equaled the Simpson mayhem. The guy is going to need to go into hiding.

My son took one look at the photo Adam posted and said, "They're going to love him in jail."

• Members

And the shunning has begun. Smollett has been removed from the remaining two episodes of Empire. That suggests to me that his employers are finding it very difficult to believe and/or stand by him at this treacherous hour.