reader

Tourist provinces to reopen in October, minister says

From the Thai Enquirer

Thailand will launch a quarantine-free travel program for its ten top provinces for tourism starting in October, Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the tourism and sports minister, said on Wednesday.

The provinces are Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi, Chonburi, Phuket, Surat Thani, Krabi, Phang-nga and Buriram.

Phiphat insisted on opening Phuket this July as planned despite a resurgence of Covid-19 infections. Phuket must achieve a vaccination rate of 70 per cent by this month, he said.

The first group of foreign tourists is set to arrive at Phuket on July 3 from North America, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand. The estimated number of foreign visitors in the third quarter is predicted to be around 129,000.

The minister said these ten provinces generated up to 1.5 trillion baht of tourism income, accounting for 75 per cent of total income, and brought about 40 million foreign visitors in 2019, prior to the pandemic.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28182/country-to-reopen-tourist-provinces-in-october-minister-says/

=============================

From The Tourism Authority of Thailand

Covid-Factsheet_2-June

37 minutes ago, spoon said:

Waiting on june 30th before i trust phuket will open july 1st.

I'm on roughly the same page.   I have no plans to go to Phuket in July, but if I were interested, I'd actually verify some people had gone there before booking.

5 hours ago, spoon said:

Waiting on june 30th before i trust phuket will open july 1st.

you're rushing to conclusions LOL, June 30th is too soon to believe it! Even July 1st. The first day to believe it will be when the first tourists actually arrive ;) 

And even then it could be closed again in a split second if and when some outbreak happens, like seychelles-style. It can only be really trusted I suppose when it's been up and running for several weeks AND possibly survived new Covid cases there. 

I don't want to be overly negative, but the flipflopping (and other monumental government failures) in recent weeks and months has been just appalling 

2 hours ago, spoon said:

Haha, for my case, since im not going to travel to phuket in july anyway, i can wait. But i do look forward to the october opening of the other provinces.

# me too, hope it will materialize and it that happens see you on top of MahaNakhon just like last time

From Bangkok Post

Phuket set for July 1; Bangkok and others set to follow

The government gave the green light to the plan to reopen Phuket to vaccinated foreign tourists starting on July 1, although visitors are required to remain on the resort island for 14 days before leaving the province.

The plan was approved on Friday during a meeting of the Centre for Economic Situation Administration (Cesa) chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha. It was proposed by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and the Sport and Tourism Ministry.

From July 1, Phuket will be the first province to welcome back foreign tourists and waive the quarantine requirement for those who have been vaccinated against Covid-19 under the so-called "Phuket Tourism Sandbox" programme, which is touted as a model for the reopening of the kingdom's tourism industry as a whole, said Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.

However, the tourists must remain on the island for 14 days -- an increase from the previously planned seven days -- before being allowed to continue on to other destinations in the country, Mr Phiphat said.

Mr Phiphat said the meeting had not yet approved plans to reopen Krabi and Koh Samui off Surat Thani to foreign tourists next month because Cesa wanted to first assess the outcome of Phuket's reopening over the next two months.

Officials at the meeting also approved the tourism reopening of Bangkok, Phetchaburi (Cha-am district), Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin district), Chiang Mai, Chon Buri (Pattaya) and Buri Ram from Oct 1, he said.

Mr Phiphat previously said the combined tourism income of these 10 provinces in 2019 stood at 1.5 trillion baht, and that was the reason why they were selected to join the reopening pilot programme, which is scheduled to run from Oct 1 until Dec 31.

"Under the sandbox programme, Phuket will also reopen to Thais who have already received two doses of vaccines," he said. "The TAT will sign an agreement with the Board of Trade of Thailand to fly vaccinated members of the board to Phuket to promote the reopening on July 1."

Foreign tourists who plan to visit Phuket on July 7 are from Israel, while visitors from the United States will fly to the resort island on July 9, Mr Phiphat said.

He said he was confident at least 70% of Phuket residents, and 100% of local tourism operators will be fully vaccinated in time for the reopening on July 1.

As of Wednesday, about 60% of Phuket's target population of 466,587 had been injected with a first shot of a Covid-19 vaccine, while 98,795 had received their second shot, according to TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn.

A total of 376,427 people have registered for the vaccination drive, he said.

Phuket will reopen to tourists who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 for more than 14 days but no more than one year prior to their visit, and they must come from low-to-moderate risk countries as announced by the Public Health Ministry, Mr Danucha said.

Foreign tourists must have vaccination certificates from their countries and the vaccines they have received must be registered under Thai law or approved by the World Health Organization, he said.

Tourists must stay at hotels that have Safety & Health Administration Plus hygiene standards certification, he said, adding they will still be required to use contact tracing apps during their stay in the kingdom.

They must also report regularly to health authorities and strictly abide by the Covid-19 DMHTTA rules (distancing, mask-wearing, hand-washing, temperature testing, Covid testing and mobile app use), Mr Danucha said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2127043/phuket-set-for-july-reopening

=================================

From Tourism Authority of Thailand

Covid-Factsheet_5-June

That Sandbox will have the same fate as the "Special Tourist Visa", it's a non-starter. It is so complicated and still has so many restrictions, nobody will do it. So typical. They think - quite correctly - that many people are longing for a nice beach vacation, and Thailand and Phuket are clearly popular. But wanting to come doesn't mean accepting all and every burden the Thais think they can just heap on the potential tourists. 

3 hours ago, anddy said:

That Sandbox will have the same fate as the "Special Tourist Visa", it's a non-starter. It is so complicated and still has so many restrictions, nobody will do it. So typical. They think - quite correctly - that many people are longing for a nice beach vacation, and Thailand and Phuket are clearly popular. But wanting to come doesn't mean accepting all and every burden the Thais think they can just heap on the potential tourists. 

Or maybe it's the Thai way to say don't travel to Thailand yet...

From the BBC

Young Thai workers race to reopen deserted beaches

Thailand depends on its tourism sector, and normally welcomes 14 million visitors annually.

But Covid-19 saw visitor numbers plunge to just four million last year.

In the key resort of Phuket, mass vaccinations are being organised ahead of this year's tourist season.

As part of our My Work, My Future season, young Thais in Phuket share their hopes and fears about future employment in the country's tourist industry.

Continues with video

==============================================

From Bangkok Post

S. Korea seeks travel bubbles with Thailand, other countries

SEOUL: South Korea is eyeing travel bubble agreements with Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Guam and Saipan.

The South Korean Culture, Sports and Tourism Ministry said on Wednesday the government is seeking travel bubble agreements with Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan, Guam and Saipan that will allow group trips as early as July for fully vaccinated people.

Under the proposal, the bubbles would be limited between Incheon airport and a designated airport in the second country. It would mark the first step in the recovery of South Korea’s tourism and airline markets, the ministry said.

The government has been in talks with Singapore and Taiwan to sign such exclusive travel partnership and plans to add locations like Thailand, Guam and Saipan, Pulse reported.

Vaccinated South Koreans can plan overseas vacation as agency-arranged tours will become possible as early as next month through travel bubble arrangements, under which quarantine mandates are waivered, with relatively virus-safe countries like Singapore and US resort territories of Guam and Saipan.

ravel bubble allows people to cross borders and travel freely within designated zones without having to undergo on-arrival quarantine. They will be required to present a Covid vaccine certificate and negative RT-PCR result taken within 72 hours from the departure date and take the PCR test and confirmed negative upon arrival at the destination.

The Culture, Sports and Tourism Ministry, and Transport Ministry said direct flights between travel bubble partners will be initially operated once or twice a week and expanded gradually, according to Pulse. Up to 200 people are expected to be allowed on board per flight, they added.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2129531/s-korea-seeks-travel-bubbles-with-thailand-other-countries

I wish it could be a four way bubble with vaccinated citizens being able to travel between all four countries even if restricted only to certain cities/islands.

If only the TAT could organise a Korean Boy Band Festival in Bangkok, that would certainly lift the present gloom :bow:

On 6/5/2021 at 12:25 PM, anddy said:

That Sandbox will have the same fate as the "Special Tourist Visa", it's a non-starter. It is so complicated and still has so many restrictions, nobody will do it.

I agree the Special Tourist Visa was a non-starter.   So shortly after finding almost no customers, they opened up applications for ordinary visas.   Which made the Special Tourist Visa pointless, except for perhaps the longest trips.

I expect the Phuket Rules will be modified if necessary, or alternative schemes will be added.    They should start by deleting the list of approved hotels which meet hygiene standards, since covid transmission is mainly airborne and spreading the tourists more thinly over a larger number of hotels ought to reduce transmission.

15 hours ago, reader said:

normally welcomes 14 million visitors annually

seems BBC didn't do their homework....

As for the travel bubbles: they have been touted many times since last year, none have worked. Not surprising as they are unworkable. A new outbreak big or small in one of the participants and boom the bubble bursts. Or the restrictions are too onerous to make travel in the bubble unattractive. Phuket is a case in point for the latter, being kind of a one-way bubble

Whilst travel bubbles might not have worked so far, hotel quarantine has worked, as far as I know.   I'm not aware of cases leaking out from quarantine hotels into the community.  

The downside is 15 nights quarantine is not pleasant and limits the number of visitors.   That's the one part of my last holiday that I would rather not repeat, although if it's my only option for a holiday next winter, I shall do it again.

The establishment of Phuket as a "quarantine island" would be much more attractive, since I would not be confined to the hotel for 15 nights.   As long as there are coffee shops, restaurants, bars, shops, a few lads on grindr, a beach and a few interesting walking options, spending 2 weeks there should not be a problem.

There does seem to be a downside that as people are presumably allowed to mingle, someone could catch covid on day 14 from someone who has just arrived.  So it would not be as robust as quarantine.   That might matter less now covid is circulating in Thailand, but perhaps they would still be keen to avoid/delay the import of virus mutations. 

14 hours ago, z909 said:

Whilst travel bubbles might not have worked so far, hotel quarantine has worked, as far as I know.   I'm not aware of cases leaking out from quarantine hotels into the community.  

The downside is 15 nights quarantine is not pleasant and limits the number of visitors.   That's the one part of my last holiday that I would rather not repeat, although if it's my only option for a holiday next winter, I shall do it again.

The establishment of Phuket as a "quarantine island" would be much more attractive, since I would not be confined to the hotel for 15 nights.   As long as there are coffee shops, restaurants, bars, shops, a few lads on grindr, a beach and a few interesting walking options, spending 2 weeks there should not be a problem.

There does seem to be a downside that as people are presumably allowed to mingle, someone could catch covid on day 14 from someone who has just arrived.  So it would not be as robust as quarantine.   That might matter less now covid is circulating in Thailand, but perhaps they would still be keen to avoid/delay the import of virus mutations. 

To he confined to Phuket island my whole vacation in Thailand ...no thank you ! I will pass.

14 hours ago, z909 said:

Perhaps not in Thailand - yet. But there were definite leaks from quarantine hotels in both Melbourne and Taipei which resulted in repeat lockdowns and other consequences. Given the ease with which the son of the Central Department Group Chairman beat the quarantine system on his return from Cambodia and thereby helped cause the current spike, does anyone really have any confidence that a  brown envelope padded with cash will not again result in someone beating the quarantine system, even in Thailand hotels?

This from The Australian - 

"Shocking new analysis has revealed just how far from “fit for purpose” Australia’s hotel quarantine system really is. 

"Researchers from the University of Melbourne have found that for every 204 Covid-19 infected travellers that have undergone their mandatory quarantine in Australia there has been one leak.

"There have been 21 'failures' in Australia’s hotel quarantine system between April 2020 and June 2021, including eight in NSW, five in Victoria, three in Queensland, three in Western Australia, and two in South Australia.

"Many have prompted snap, or extended lockdowns in major cities."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/breaking-news/univeristy-of-melbourne-researchers-say-there-has-been-one-hotel-quarantine-leak-per-204-covid19-infected-travellers/news-story/951cb9b018cc47b11bf681c0a2651be6

From Phuket News

Phuket pubs, bars to stay closed for July 1 Sandbox reopening

PHUKET: Patong Mayor Chalermsak Maneesri has confirmed that pubs, bars and other entertainment venues across Phuket will be closed for the July 1 reopening of the island to receiving vaccinated international tourists.

“For the entertainment venues in Phuket, from a meeting of [Phuket] officials, they altogether agreed to keep the venues closed in the first period of July, as we had a cluster from that kind of venue.

“Phuket Governor and the TAT Governor have not allowed them to open,” Mayor Chalermsak told The Phuket News earlier today (June 10).

• Members

Like everyone else, I am rooting for Thailand to re-open & am hoping that they get all the details right.  But, by upping the Phuket quarantine from 7 to 14 days &, now, keeping the bars & entertainment venues closed, they are treating potential visitors, who have ALL been vaccinated, like it's last December & the vaccine doesn't exist.

11 hours ago, tm_nyc said:

Like everyone else, I am rooting for Thailand to re-open & am hoping that they get all the details right.  But, by upping the Phuket quarantine from 7 to 14 days &, now, keeping the bars & entertainment venues closed, they are treating potential visitors, who have ALL been vaccinated, like it's last December & the vaccine doesn't exist.

1  The key difference is last December, movement during quarantine was mostly restricted to one hotel room, whereas under this scheme, it would be restricted to an entire island.   That removes the worst aspect of quarantine & I'm writing as someone who has done the quarantine.

2  Vaccination reduces but does not eliminate the probability of you transmitting covid to others.   So when deciding policy, Thailand needs to consider the vaccination status of it's own population.   Thailand might also want to consider vaccine mutations which partially evade vaccine protection.    Right now, there are countries with over 50% of their population partially vaccinated and they tend not to be opening up for unrestricted travel.    As far as I can tell, this is due to virus mutations.

Do I like it ?   No.    But I'm following Ray Dalio's advice and trying to figure out what is true, rather than what I would like to be true.