reader

Govt mulls resuming 'Test & Go"

Richard Barrow is reporting that the Indian Embassy has issued a travel advisory in relation to tourists testing positive after arrival in Thailand.

It got me thinking what prompted them to issue this. I wonder if tourists are being caught out unprepared of what happens.

With many SEA countries now reopening as reported by posters and many just with a just a pre-departure and/or rapid on arrival, I still think the Thailand Day 1 and Day 5 quarantine is over the top.

I'm very tempted to book another trip but still anxious of being caught out on Day 5, which seems much more likely with the O variant.  For now I'll continue to hold off on another Thailand trip.

47 minutes ago, Midguy1 said:

Richard Barrow is reporting that the Indian Embassy has issued a travel advisory in relation to tourists testing positive after arrival in Thailand.

It got me thinking what prompted them to issue this. I wonder if tourists are being caught out unprepared of what happens.

With many SEA countries now reopening as reported by posters and many just with a just a pre-departure and/or rapid on arrival, I still think the Thailand Day 1 and Day 5 quarantine is over the top.

I'm very tempted to book another trip but still anxious of being caught out on Day 5, which seems much more likely with the O variant.  For now I'll continue to hold off on another Thailand trip.

I saw that as well, I think it is probably because there is some confusion for people who might not follow the Thai news as closely that they are forcing asymptomatic people into quarantine for 10 days.

There are also reports of hospitals not admitting people until they pay a deposit or the full fee in case insurance won't cover it, but also not allowing them any other options.

I'm more worried about the test I need to take to board a plane and go home. If I get asymptomatic covid at any time during that holiday, you will be put into quarantine for 10 days and forced to change flights. I'm going to make sure I have insurance coverage 15 days past my expected departure just in case.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has posted this information today:

Kindly note that if you arrive during 00.01-18.00 Hrs., the day is Day 1. If you arrive during 18.01-00.00 Hrs., the day after is Day 1.

You can find additional information and interpretation of regulations at Entry Thailand Frequently Asked Questions at the following link:

https://www.tatnews.org/entry-thailand-frequently-asked-questions/

22 hours ago, reader said:

Kindly note that if you arrive during 00.01-18.00 Hrs., the day is Day 1. If you arrive during 18.01-00.00 Hrs., the day after is Day 1

This is progress.

In December 2020, I arrived before 8:00 am and the arrival date was Day 0.

From Bangkok Post

Push for bubbles amid tourism drive

The Tourism and Sports Ministry plans to continue travel bubble discussions with short-haul destinations following this week's resumption of the Test & Go scheme.

The Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT) is calling for a more relaxed RT-PCR testing regime to bring back at least 5 million tourists this year.

The country wants to continue travel bubble initiatives, particularly with nearby countries that generate enormous cross-border traffic, such as Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia, said Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.

The ministry plans to visit Beijing for the Winter Olympics this month and wants to use the opportunity to seek further updates from China's Ministry of Culture and Tourism regarding a travel agreement.

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) governor Yuthasak Supasorn said 35,046 tourists registered for Thailand Pass during its first day of reopening on Feb 1, of which 31,343 were for the Test & Go scheme.

As hotels must now verify Thailand Pass bookings via the new Thailand Pass Hotel & Swap System, 20% of guests were verified as of Feb 1.

Mr Yuthasak said hoteliers have to verify bookings within 30 hours or registration will be rejected and tourists must resubmit the application.

Vichit Prakobgosol, TCT vice-president, said even though the tourism sector was improving, strict testing rules were an obstacle to growth as they deter tourists.

He said locations that require no RT-PCR test on arrival, such as Dubai, the Maldives and Turkey, can now attract more arrivals than in 2019 before the pandemic and such reopening policies have not worsened their outbreaks.

"If there is no new surge in cases and fatalities after the first month of Test & Go resumption, the government has to consider dropping the RT-PCR test requirement. If it does, the country is projected to see at least 5 million tourists," Mr Vichit said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2257855/push-for-bubbles-amid-tourism-drive

1 hour ago, reader said:

Mr Yuthasak said hoteliers have to verify bookings within 30 hours or registration will be rejected and tourists must resubmit the application.

What a load of old tosh.
Why the hell does an applicant have to send everything to a hotel only for them to send it on to the Thai Pass people? The applicant has to send it to them anyway.

And why within 30 hours ffs? 

Then what about the second hotel 5 days later? 

Is it any wonder hardly anyone is bothering?

TIT

2 hours ago, gerefan said:

Is it any wonder hardly anyone is bothering?

Fortunately, we're here already and by the time of our next trip, this nonsense will have been revised several times.

I have some sympathy for those keen to travel in the next couple of months.   However, there are always Cambodia and the Philippines as alternative destinations.

Philippines currently has the problem that there are not reasonable flights, at least from Europe.

Cambodia allegedly has still the policy that if one person on a flight is tested positive, all passengers have to quarantine - at least they said that in a youtube channel that is regularly reporting about Cambodia - too risky for my taste now with Omicron. I hope its not true - does anyone have facts?

From what I was reading in late 2020, Cambodia did have a policy at the time where if anyone failed on a flight, everyone would be quarantined.  I'd imagine that policy would no longer be in place, as it makes no sense when covid is endemic.   However, if I were actually planning to visit Cambodia imminently, I would do the work myself and spend an hour or so checking out current rules and people's experiences travelling there.

There were also more recent reports that Thailand had some policy that required people to quarantine if sat next to someone on the plane who failed.   I didn't manage to find a written policy on that and it would contradict the terms we agree to on the Travel Pass. Those clearly stated we are free to go if passing the PCR test, with no exceptions listed (at least when I arrived).

Finding out the current rules is not always easy. One would need to be able to read the laws in original language.

As for the close contact in planes, tatnews-FAQs have an answer.

https://www.tatnews.org/entry-thailand-frequently-asked-questions/

They say this information comes from the public health ministry as of Jan 19, 2022.

High-Risk Contact (HRC)

Definitions of close contact of probable/confirmed case of COVID-19.

Close contact is defined as a person who has had interactions with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 both on the illness onset or 1-2 days prior. However, for asymptomatic patients; a day of receiving positive test result is counted, and they have to reach these criteria as follow:
• Close contact or a person having conversation with the patient within 2-metre distance for more than 5 minutes; or being coughed or sneezed on by a patient.
• Those who are in an enclosed space without proper ventilation, e.g. in the same air-conditioned bus or room as the patient, for more than 30 minutes.

Close Contact Person or probable/confirmed cases can be divided into two groups:
1: High-risk contact is defined as a close contact as mentioned above and did not wear personal protective equipment (PPE).
2: Low-risk contact is defined as a close contact who is less likely to contract or transmit the virus with the patient. This includes close contacts who have not met the definition for high-risk close contact. They are suggested to undergo self-monitoring and follow universal prevention. If experience respiratory symptoms, must undergo ATK . *In the event of asymptomatic infection, the date the patient has tested positive for the virus should be considered the date of illness onset.

Definitions of travel-related High-Risk Contact (HRC) person.

1: Domestic transportation
• Passengers on board the same vehicle/flight who is being coughed or sneezed on by a probable/confirmed case.
• Passengers who travel in the same group.
• Passenger on the same plane, who is close proximity to and sitting next to the case (left and right seats),  or being close contact within 1 metre-without a mask more than 5 minutes.
• In case of large vehicles such as train, doubledecker bus, and ferry, only passengers in the same car or deck and do not wearing a face mask for more than 5 minutes.
• All drivers and attendants in the same section who do not wear face mask for more than 5 minutes.  In case of flight attendants, just only who is on duty at the same section.

2: International transportation
• Passengers on board the same flight who sit next to probable/confirmed case (left and right) or one who is being close contact within 1 metre-without a mask more than 5 minutes.
• Flight attendants in the same section who do not wear face mask for more than 5 minutes.

Guidelines and measures for High-Risk Contact (HRC) person

• Undergo home quarantine for 7 days and self-monitoring for 3 days. In addition, ATK will be done 2 times; Day 5-6 and Day 10.
• Take temperature check for 10 days after the day of last contact with the confirmed case.
• Protect themselves and people around them by separating themselves from others, frequently washing hands and wearing face mask.
• After completion of 7 days home quarantine, they are asked to follow strictly the Universal prevention and avoid going to crowded places or communities for 3 days.
• If HRC experience respiratory symptoms, must undergo ATK immediately, if having positive result, must redo on a couple of days and contact official.

Source: Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health (as of 19 January, 2022).

I have booked the ticket. Now I am at the hotels.com website to book for day 1 and 5 for a SHA Extra Plus hotel.

But i dont see anywhere mentioned that this includes the PCR test and the pre-arranged transfer from airport to hotel.

Is it better then to book via the hotel website dirtectly?

Facebook is full of people who did certain things and got an immediate Thai Pass approval.     However there are numerous others who did exactly the same thing and had to wait 5-6 days.

Since it's officially an up to 7 day lead time, I just did the obvious and applied over 14 days before travelling.

From ScandAsia

Warning against traveling to Thailand

Travelers to Thailand whose PCR tests return a positive are in a very high risk of being caught up in a web of rules that nobody warned them of before their departure.

The SHA+ and ASQ hotels where the travelers are required to stay, must all have contracts with a specific hospital, usually a private hospital. If a traveler staying at their hotel tests positive, the guest has no choice but to be hospitalized at that specific hospital for 7-10 days at their own cost – usually around 10.000 THB per day. In most cases, tourists are requested to pay upfront this amount and coordinate insurance claims by themselves later – holding the risk of not being compensated for their hospital expenses.

Sharing hotel room in close contact with a COVID patient also subjects you to quarantine 7-10 days as a high risk close contact person. This is usually not included in the insurance coverage so it would be completely at your own cost.

The PCR tests are performed by the hospital who has the exclusive rights to receive all the patients from the hotel they stay at. You must do two PCR tests on the first day and the fifth day of your traveling, and the authorities prefer that you test both times at the same hotel.

Some travelers question, if the PCR tests follow same procedures as back in their home countries, since many find the positive result when arriving Thailand, when they just tested negative 48 hours ago before flight departure.

All travelers believe they are adequately insured because when they applied for the Thailand Pass, their health insurance was approved. But when the traveler arrives here, it some times turns out that although the Thai embassy or consulate had accepted their insurance policy, they are not covered anyway because of the fine print in the insurance policy. Sometimes, the insurance only covers if the patient has symptoms or is hospitalized in a hospital, not a ‘hospitel’. The Thai hospitals will keep the patient in quarantine regardless of symptoms and for the maximum days they can charge for, all solely depending on the opinion of the doctors’ team at the assigned hospital your hotel is associated with.

In other situations, it has turned out that the insurance only covers if the patient is admitted to a public hospital. But the patient has no right to refuse to be hospitalized at the private hospital or hospitel facility which has obtained an exclusive contract with their hotel. Also in this case, the traveler will have to pay the amount at around 100.000 THB themselves.

A resident Dane in Bangkok who has been part of a network to come to the rescue of these unfortunate travelers who were trapped in this web of rules says to ScandAsia, that frankly she has come to the sad conclusion that the safest thing to do is not to fly to Thailand on a Thailand Pass until this hotel-hospital alliance is broken or the insurance policies that the embassies accept follow standards that are in compliance with these hotel-hospital contracts.

There are so many special situations and describing them all is not possible here, she says. But she wants to add one piece of useful advice:

If you have had Covid in the past 2-3 months before your arrival to Thailand then you must remember to bring along with you PCR proof and preferably a medical recovery certificate stating your Covid history in detail with a doctor’s signature. This documentation may help you not to become yet another unfair victim of the medical care protocol. If you show this evidence and insist that your positive result is most likely because the test is picking up dead cells from your past infection, you may be able to avoid being detained.

https://scandasia.com/warning-against-traveling-to-thailand/

The positive test rates in Thailand do seem far higher than expected. 

Another well known gay forum has a report of independent Thai tests contradicting the Thai hospital tests.  If the hospitals process the results and profit from failures, there is, of course, a conflict of interest.

Insured tourists who are asymptomatic need to grow a pair of balls and tell the hospital to claim off the insurance.  Also, whilst they can be sent to hospital, they don't have to consent to any treatment.

From Bloomberg News / BP

Test & Go 'cumbersome', says hotel tycoon

Thailand should look to the example of the more liberal reopening policies of Europe and travel hot spots such as the Maldives to revive its tourism industry, says Bill Heinecke, the founder and chairman of Minor International Plc.

Current entry requirements for vaccinated foreign travellers are too “cumbersome”, the Bangkok-based billionaire said in an interview with Bloomberg News.

“If you’re vaccinated and tested you must be allowed to travel without so much paperwork,” said Mr Heinecke, who heads one of Asia’s largest hospitality, restaurant and lifestyle companies.

Tourism numbers in Thailand are “going to be tough and challenging for a while until the government changes its position”, he said.

While Thailand this month resumed its Test & Go programme, Mr Heinecke labelled the requirements — multiple Covid tests, the need to use an online registration system and having an insurance policy with at least $50,000 cover — as “cumbersome”.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2259263/test-go-cumbersome-says-hotel-tycoon

The report of hospital tests being positive and independent tests being negative is unfortunately another dark cloud hanging over.  I see reports online of X number of people booking the Thailand pass, but I wonder what that number could be if only people weren't put off booking because of being caught out and the fear of potentially being incarcerated.

It worries me to read that the PCR tests can be a scam and they give you positive result because then they can make more money on you.

I am sure in that case I have the right to arrange a PCR test at a hospital of my choice? The government says you need a day 1 and day 5 test. It doesnt have to be at the location you originally booked, yes? I booked a package deal (hotel + pcr tests + airport transfer). I am allowed I assume, then when I suspect the hospital is a deliberately giving me a postive result test, that I can just go anywehre else for the test and use their negative result as proof I am negative?

On 2/4/2022 at 10:16 AM, abidismaili said:

Is it better then to book via the hotel website directly?

In fact, as to what I´ve seen, you HAVE to. As the HTL also needs to provide all details, whithin 30 hrs, to that ThaPass registration. Also as from what I understand cost for these tests (and obligatory taxi from airport-sometimes via hospital for test, then HTL) is always additional  to room price.

18 minutes ago, pong2 said:

In fact, as to what I´ve seen, you HAVE to. As the HTL also needs to provide all details, whithin 30 hrs, to that ThaPass registration. Also as from what I understand cost for these tests (and obligatory taxi from airport-sometimes via hospital for test, then HTL) is always additional  to room price.

Yes I have done just that. But now I worry that the hotel is partnering with a shady private hospital that will fake a positive test so it can let me stay for 10 days at their side and earn money on me. Reading the above story made me worry.

But if there is a positive test cant I just quarentine for 10 days in the hotel? Much cheaper than a hospital.

The probabilities suggest you will be OK.  Also, board members here have been OK.

However, if we have a conflict of interest, where you are contracted to stay at the hospital which processes the results, that is not ideal.  Incentives influence behaviour.  Testing ought to be totally independent from incarceration revenue.

Whilst most of the tourist infection rate data looks OK, there have been a few cases where it's higher than we might expect.

Plus the report from Moses. 

Out of the many hotels and hospitals operating the Test and Go system, I'd be surprised if one or two didn't abuse the system for financial gain.  I also suspect the majority are OK.

I would travel to Thailand again under the current system.  At least until some of the other ASEAN countries offer a better system, such as no testing on arrival.  Which will happen eventually.