Milk78

Day 5 PCR test dropped?

Richard Barrow just posted it on facebook.

Good news for tourists and returning expats. Starting in March, the requirement for the 2nd RT-PCR test on Day 5 will be dropped and replaced with a self-ATK test. In addition, the insurance will be reduced to $20,000.

UPDATES: You can register with the new rules from 1st March onwards. Which means fly to Thailand on 7 March onwards.

Only book one night SHA++ hotel while waiting for results

Only book one RT-PCR test

Minimum insurance reduced from $50,000 to $20,000

Is ATK a Lateral Flow Test? Can I bring my own tests with me, or do i have to get them in Thailand? 

Do you have to document your result somewhere - or is it just on the individual's say so that they have taken it/ had a negative test result? 

Lots of questions, but seems like good news!

From Tourism Authority of Thailand

The following new rules will be in effect from 1 March, 2022 (travellers can enter into Thailand on 7 March, 2022).

Points of entry:

• By air (direct international flight or transit domestically via dedicated flights.)
  • By land (at the border checkpoints in Nong Khai, Udon Thani, and Songkhla.)
  • By water (yachts.)

Eligible travellers / countries:

• For arrivals by air and water: Thai citizens and foreign travellers from all countries/territories.
  • For arrivals by land: Thai citizens and foreign travellers from neighbouring countries connecting with the reopened border checkpoints (Nong Khai, Udon Thani, and Songkhla).

Entry registration system:

• For arrivals by air and land: Thailand Pass system.
  • For arrivals by water: Certificate of Entry system.

Quarantine requirement:

• For arrivals by air and land: No quarantine, but on Day 1 must wait for the COVID-19 test result within an approved SHA Extra Plus (SHA++) or alternative quarantine facility.
  • For arrivals by water: No quarantine, but on Day 1 must wait for the COVID-19 test result on board the travelling vessel (yacht).

Accommodation requirement:

• A proof of prepayment for 1 night of accommodation at government-approved hotel/s; such as, SHA Extra Plus (SHA++) on Day 1.

Health insurance:

• An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$20,000. Thais and foreign expatriates under Thailand’s national healthcare coverage are exempt from this requirement.

COVID-19 testing requirements:

• For arrivals by air and land: First test on Day 1 by an RT-PCR method (wait for the result within the hotel), and the second test on Day 5 by a self-ATK method (must report/record the result via the application).
  • For arrivals by water: First test on Day 1 by an RT-PCR method (wait for the result on board the vessel), and the second on Day 5 by a self-ATK method (must report/record the result via the application). 

Existing requirements/rules remain unchanged:

• A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling.
  • A Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination/Recovery.

Current Rules

(An update that reflects the new rules will be available from 1 March, 2022, onwards.)

Fully vaccinated travellers from any country around the world can apply for a TEST & GO Thailand Pass under the following requirements.

Eligible travellers
• Thai citizens.
• Foreign travellers, including but not limited to diplomats, guests of the government, Thai work permit holders, students and their family, and patients seeking medical treatment.

Eligible countries
All countries/territories.

This information has been updated on 23 February, 2022.

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/02/thailand-reopening-exemption-from-quarantine-test-go/

3 minutes ago, winterjanu said:

Only dropping one of three RT-PCR tests required, slightly disappointed but expected from Thailand being slow in removing restrictions.

True, but the Day 5 test was, for me, the most contentious. Yes, you could still test positive with a lateral flow of course, but the restriction of location and additional cost was annoying. 

In truth it is probably not that much of a reduction in restrictions, but it does feel like a bit of a shift and somehow less anxiety inducing. 

The next step should be to drop all arrivals testing, as some other countries have done.

Covid + vaccine is equivalent to flu, on average.

Covid + no vaccine is a voluntary condition.

• Members

It's definitely a step in the right direction but testing positive on Day 5 is still going to be a huge, expensive hassle, regardless of what test you do.  Let's hope the next step is to drop the Day 5 test altogether.  Meanwhile, Thai COVID case & death numbers are continuing  to rise...

1 hour ago, tm_nyc said:

testing positive on Day 5 is still going to be a huge, expensive hassle, regardless of what test you do

If you do a lateral flow self test, you have the option of reporting a negative result (and for those of us with some ethics, isolating in your room until you get a genuine pass).

That's far cheaper than being quarantined. 

As for the statistics, well case numbers no longer matter, as most cases are mild.   

The daily deaths are also low.  About half the daily deaths for road traffic accidents and nobody in power seems to care about the latter.   So I don't see why covid should be a special case.  

The covid deaths will include many voluntary cases, where people declined a vaccine.   Although, I suppose road traffic deaths include many too stupid to wear helmets or seatbelts, so it's a similar principle. 

7 hours ago, tm_nyc said:

It's definitely a step in the right direction but testing positive on Day 5 is still going to be a huge, expensive hassle, regardless of what test you do.  Let's hope the next step is to drop the Day 5 test altogether.  Meanwhile, Thai COVID case & death numbers are continuing  to rise...

I've heard some people who arrived last time ATK day 5 was required to just take the ATK test as soon as their PCR day 1 test result was negative, then just uploaded the photo on day 5.

I'm not encouraging anyone to do that, but it's something I heard of happening from a few people so they aren't anxious about results for 5 days.

Well, I've paid for a day 5 PCR test I won't need, but since I'm going on to the Philippines afterwards which requires one, I think I'll just pretend the day or so before my trip onward is my "day 5", so I don't have to pay for another test.

The system does seem subject to abuse.

1 hour ago, Milk78 said:

Anyone know if I have to buy my lateral flow test for Day 5 in Thailand, or can I bring my free NHS ones and use that? 

Back in November, the lateral flow kit was supplied by the ASQ hotel when checking out on day 1/2.  So it was included in the ASQ hotel fee.

Reverting to thst system would be the logical way to implement an illogical policy.

From The Thaiger

Hoteliers asked to issue refunds to Test & Go travellers for Day 5 packages

With the government scrapping the Day 5 requirements for Test & Go travellers, more than 2,000 hotels and their partner hospitals or test centres are being asked to refund the costs of a night stay with Covid-19 RT-PCR testing. Under the revised entry requirements, travellers can take a self-administered antigen test instead of a PCR test on the fifth day of their stay and they are no longer required to book a stay at an approved hotel while they wait for the results.

The hotels are being asked to voluntarily refund the cost of the room, or at least convert the pre-paid booking into credits. Hoteliers are also being asked to work with their partner hospitals and testing centres to refund the 2,000 baht for a PCR test.

The Thai government has said they will not require hoteliers to issue refunds for the Test & Go packages, but an official from the Tourism Authority of Thailand argues that some hoteliers have said they need a legal order from the government as their cancellation policies do not cover the refund. If a full refund isn’t possible, they will be asked to convert the payments into credits, according to TAT’s deputy governor for marketing communications, Siripakorn Cheawsamoot.

“The Tourism and Sports Ministry will issue an announcement asking cooperation from hotels to refund the fifth day expense to their guests. This rule is definitely not mandatory. Hotels are encouraged to manage those bookings according to their own cancellation policy. If refund is not possible, they should consider converting payments into credits or vouchers for in-house services or restaurants.”

From The Thaiger

Tourism industry pushes for scrapping of Thailand Pass and PCR testing

Key figures in Thailand’s tourism industry have renewed their calls for the Thailand Pass and PCR testing on arrival to be scrapped.

Speaking at the Thailand Tourism Forum in Bangkok yesterday, the chairman of global hotel operator Minor International, renewed his call for the government to ditch the Thailand Pass system. Bill Heinecke has been vocal on issues affecting tourism’s recovery for some time, penning an open letter to PM Prayut Chan-o-cha at the start of the year, urging him to reinstate the suspended Test & Go entry scheme.

Addressing forum attendees yesterday, Heinecke said the government must now lift all restrictions on international visitors immediately if Thailand is to remain competitive. Thailand was the first country in the region to re-open its borders but the near-total lifting of restrictions in other countries now means it’s lagging behind. Neighbouring Cambodia has completely opened up, as have the Philippines, the Middle East, many European countries, and the UK and US.

Heinecke has warned that the government’s aim of attracting 10 million tourists this year is in jeopardy if the current rules remain. Instead, Thailand risks only seeing 10% of pre-pandemic numbers, or around 4 million. Despite a recently agreed travel bubble between India and Thailand, Heinecke points out that there are still no flights between the 2 countries. Adding to the existing challenges is Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which Heinecke says has led to cancellations from all over the world.

The president of the Thai Hotels Association also expressed her concern for the industry if the current requirement for PCR testing on arrival remains. Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi says the number of infected international arrivals is negligible when compared to cases of community transmission. She says if the government really is serious about encouraging its citizens to live with the virus, which it plans to declare endemic by June, it needs to abolish the Test & Go entry scheme and allow people to arrive with proof of vaccination and a pre-departure negative PCR test result.

==============================

From Richardbarrow.com

The infection rate of all travellers entering Thailand

November: 0.13%

December: 0.45%

January: 3.73%

February: 2.25%

March: 1.43%

• ·       Test & Go: 0.92%
  • ·       Sandbox: 4.50%
  • ·       Quarantine: 2.11%

========================================= 

The Ministry of Public Health’s permanent secretary said 95% of cases are now either asymptomatic or mild, meaning there is no need for most people who are infected to receive medical treatment at hospitals

4 hours ago, reader said:

Test & Go: 0.92%

Sandbox: 4.50%

•          Quarantine: 2.11%

Last time I looked, all nations were eligible for test & go.  

So either this data covers a longer period, back to bookings made before everyone was eligible for Test & Go, or there are people making silly decisions and choosing Sandbox, when they could do Test and Go.

Anyone reading this ought to choose test & go, as you have just ONE chance of being caught with a PCR test after arriving, plus a lateral flow test, which is less sensitive.     In fact, I don't ever recall anyone posting here even contemplating doing a sandbox, once Test & Go was open. 

5 hours ago, z909 said:

Last time I looked, all nations were eligible for test & go.  

So either this data covers a longer period, back to bookings made before everyone was eligible for Test & Go, or there are people making silly decisions and choosing Sandbox, when they could do Test and Go.

Anyone reading this ought to choose test & go, as you have just ONE chance of being caught with a PCR test after arriving, plus a lateral flow test, which is less sensitive.     In fact, I don't ever recall anyone posting here even contemplating doing a sandbox, once Test & Go was open. 

Isn't test & go only available for fully vaccinated people? So the ones who choose to enter via the sandbox scheme are probably not vaccinated...? 

46 minutes ago, emiel1981 said:

Isn't test & go only available for fully vaccinated people? So the ones who choose to enter via the sandbox scheme are probably not vaccinated...? 

Good point.   And 4.5% of them will be incarcerated for 10 days or so, so that's ample time to reflect on poor decision making.

16 hours ago, reader said:

......., it needs to abolish the Test & Go entry scheme and allow people to arrive with proof of vaccination and a pre-departure negative PCR test result.

even test should be abolished if they dream about returning to normal numbers, it's just expensive nuisance. I know about at least 3 people including one forum member who are waiting for that to be abolished and after spending nearly 1000 $ for PRC tests in last 9 months travelling here and there and returning home even I have second thoughts