12is12

Medellin: a question of language

• Members

There are several Facebook groups for exactly this purpose: to organize meetups between Spanish and English speakers looking to practice their learning in the other's language.  This can be managed online through video to practice before you arrive, and to also become acquainted with the local accent. I find it easy to follow, and I recognize that I spend a lot of time there, however I do not recall finding the accent challenging.

In Colombia specifically you will find regular Meetups (as in the website) for foreigners to practice their Spanish. I have been to events in Bogota (with a Brazilian friend - he has a blast) and Medellin. It's a nice way to connect with both locals and meet other ex-pats and digital nomads, of which there are many in Colombia.

I would also suggest looking at the many language schools locally that offer classes for every level and at a cost that is very reasonable by North American standards (about $10 per class).

Thx yet again MacDaddi; as always, u r a fountain of knowledge and wisdom.

M not looking for an online version. I spent in January two weeks at a Cartagena school, met a great teacher, and since then we have been zooming 3 times a week.

How do I find these non-virtual meetups?

10 hours ago, macdaddi said:

I do not recall finding the accent challenging.

I have many friends across the Spanish speaking world & most say Colombian spanish is the easiest to learn as a second language. Clearly spoken & slower than others. And not as much slang used as other dialects. Do you agree ?  I studied in Spain and that was challenging  - very fast speaking and Castilian accent is tough.  

I agree only bcs I read that in my 'research' before deciding where to study. Almost all ggl results to the question "best places to study spanish" pointed to clmbia and mexico.

I cant attest to that based on personal experience, bcs I haven't been to any other Spanish-speaking country since I began my serious studies.

I made a HUGE mistake of travelling to virca 10 latin countries before studying.

• Members

As a native speaker, I find super interesting your views on Spanish. I do, this is not a bitchy comment. It surprises me that you all seem to think that Colombian Spanish has less slang, or is better spoken than in other places. I doubt it, but who knows?

In my short visit to Medellin, and I am aware it is just one city and one week, I did not have such an impression. There is so much slang that I continuously had to be asking for meanings, just as happens to me in many places of many Spanish speaking countries, included Argentina. 

I am wondering whether in Colombia you have been interacting with mostly educated natives. In good schools across Hispanic America, we learn a standard version of the language. The educated classes of our countries tend to speak this version. Perhaps when you were in other countries you were less exposed to standard Spanish?

I guess. it is not different that English speaking countries. 

About what the best place to learn Spanish, I doubt that the dialectal version spoken in a particular area may be relevant at all. What is relevant is whether or not the language schools are good. Mexico and Colombia have excellent schools and are closer to the States and Europe. Indeed, they are a very good choice to get immersed in Spanish.

However, there are also excellent schools in Spain, Chile, Argentina, Perú, and Uruguay. Particularly in Buenos Aires, I recommend the Laboratorio de Idiomas de la Universidad de Filosofía y Letras, Universidad de Buenos Aires. 

51 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

guess. it is not different that English speaking countries

The basis for my inquiry hearing many reports that Columbians speak an easier dialect to learn.  Similarly, there may be English speaking countries where it’s the same as you point out.  Doubtful it would be US, given slang & many regional differences.  
Schools are important, but that means practical use wherever the school is located.  Just an opinion based on limited personal experience.

• Members
1 hour ago, Slvkguy said:

The basis for my inquiry hearing many reports that Columbians speak an easier dialect to learn.  Similarly, there may be English speaking countries where it’s the same as you point out.  Doubtful it would be US, given slang & many regional differences.  
Schools are important, but that means practical use wherever the school is located.  Just an opinion based on limited personal experience.

Do not call them Columbians or call their country Columbia. They are very sensitive about that.

• Members

@Latbear4blk I agree - the local spanish spoken in Medellín is super colorful and uses a lot of expressions and word-use exclusive to the region. I too am continually asking people to repeat words and sayings and am still learning to speak like a Paisa (even after 6 years of regular trips).

Regarding the MeetUps, others may be interested in these resources

Colombia language exchange nights.

https://www.meetup.com/online-english-spanish-language-exchange-co/events/286395737/

Medellin Gringo Tuesday (El Poblado)

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gringo-tuesdays-language-exchange-tickets-304935037907

The grand daddy of them all, Bogotá's Gringo Tuesday -- this is the best attended and most fun -- everyone is welcome.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g294074-d8592083-Reviews-Gringo_Tuesdays-Bogota.html

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/news/a60672/gringo-tuesdays-colombia-tiffany-kohl/

• Members
21 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

However, there are also excellent schools in Spain, Chile, Argentina, Perú, and Uruguay. Particularly in Buenos Aires, I recommend the Laboratorio de Idiomas de la Universidad de Filosofía y Letras, Universidad de Buenos Aires. 

Yes, but you forgot to mention the Chilean accent....

• Members
2 hours ago, macdaddi said:

Yes, but you forgot to mention the Chilean accent....

LOL! What is wrong about it? I love the huevones. I am trying to recall one, but it looks like I do not dislike any accents. I am trying to think of one I do not like, and the only accents that come to my mind are my favorite ones. Like the Dominican and all the different Caribbean accents, that give me boners. Or the accent of Córdoba (Argentina), that is almost musical. And I can keep going. I like them all. 

I can't speak to the issue for Colombia, specifically.  But I studied Spanish in Mexico for 6 months, and later in my career working in Mexico for 6-years was an English- language teacher/consultant.  As a student, I benefitted from intercambio's with local residents in the town where I studied, and during travels in Mexico following formal study.  When living in Mexico City I was frequently approached by high school and college students who wanted conversational English, and I benefitted from the conversational Spanish.  Oftentimes, I was stopped at coffee shops, walking down a street, etc. by students fulfilling school assignments.  So, long way around of saying this:  consider visiting locations near or at some of the private schools, including cafe's.  You can start the conversation by asking, in English, if someone speaks English; many young people who do will want to practice.  I think this is true in probably all of the Spanish-speaking countries.

Slang, modismo's (as they call it in Mexico) is a huge hurdle for non-native speakers in any country.  Spanish isn't spoken exactly the same in any one of the countries; vocabulary differs.  English isn't spoken equally, either.  In the USA we have regional vocabulary differences, too.  For Mexicans I worked with, dealing with the USA-English slang was and continues to be a big hurdle; confusing.  I was and am sometimes still confused by Mexican slang ... and how people in Veracruz may speak and sound differently than, say, persons living in Zacatecas.

A new language isn't learned in 90-days, no matter what the TV commercials proclaim.  Learning some vocabulary is very different than learning how to comprehend what others are saying to you ... especially when beginners are struggling with translating from one language into another.  You know you've made substantial progress when you can hear, understand and respond in the moment.

Intercambio's via Zoom, etc. can be beneficial.

Best of luck.

• Members
6 hours ago, 12is12 said:

Does that mean that ppl in clmbia r less patient and polite?

You should stay away from these generalizations. That could have been @xpaulo's experience, because of his personal circumstances. If you are actually planning a trip abroad, you should take personal impressions not so seriously, and focus on factual data.

10 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

That could have been @xpaulo's experience

I guess I was more pointing out that to me it seemed that Mexicans were an exception from what's more typical of people not being patient with foreigners. Even though Canadians have a reputation for politeness, where I live they can lose it when somebody can't speak English well enough to understand or be understood. And in some other Spanish speaking countries people haven't been rude to me, it was me who was being inconsiderate by trying to speak a language I couldn't speak. Also, I have never been to Colombia so I'm not sure how my comment was taken as criticism of Colombians. Colombians I have met in other parts of Latin America have helped me in situations and have always been polite.

• Members
3 hours ago, xpaulo said:

I guess I was more pointing out that to me it seemed that Mexicans were an exception from what's more typical of people not being patient with foreigners. Even though Canadians have a reputation for politeness, where I live they can lose it when somebody can't speak English well enough to understand or be understood. And in some other Spanish speaking countries people haven't been rude to me, it was me who was being inconsiderate by trying to speak a language I couldn't speak. Also, I have never been to Colombia so I'm not sure how my comment was taken as criticism of Colombians. Colombians I have met in other parts of Latin America have helped me in situations and have always been polite.

I was not criticizing your experience or you, but just highlighting that was a personal impression.

In my opinion (and this is my personal impression), there are some countries where you will find more often a not so open attitude towards other languages. I cannot speak of Canadians, unfortunately I have never visited. But in the States I often find people who thinks that everyone should learn and speak English while at the same time being completely and absolutely ignorant of other languages and cultures. This has not happened to me as often in other cultures.

Educated South Americans are open to cultural influences from Europe and the USA. Not because we are better, but because of socio-political-cultural circumstances. We have been receiving those influences in multiple ways and formats, as cultural production has streamed predominantly North to South for decades. Internet and globalization have given more room to our ideas and production, but the unbalance is still evident. A more open attitude towards other cultures and languages is a natural consequence.

• Members
On 6/14/2022 at 4:21 PM, macdaddi said:

Another option that was shared via a Medellín co-working space newsletter this morning...

t0nrjxa718691.png

There are dozens of events in an around Medellín if you are interested in meeting others to socialize in Spanish and learn more about the local variations. I would also suggest doing additional searches specifically based in Envigado, the largest barrio to the south of Medellín, as it his home to a very large ex-pat community.

Good luck.