Kiwi306

Temporary apartments or hotels

During my last stay in Thailand I stayed in over 10 hotels, for one reason or another. I was happy with all of them and managed to get excellent low season rates, but even still, the costs mount up.

Could someone please recommend how to go about finding accommodation say on a monthly basis or making suggestions about where to stay in either Bangkok or Pattaya?

14 minutes ago, scott456 said:

Common sense is to start looking at Airbnb and Craigslist.

Don't forget that Airbnb etc. is illegal in Thailand unless lets are less than one month unless the property has an hotel licence.
As far as I recall, the only person to be prosecuted is the landlord and not you. 

booking.com and agoda have apartment listings. The place I stayed when I was last in Pattaya was managed by a real estate company but booked via booking.com. I was only there for a short time but I would guess that longer term rentals could be done through a real estate agency. They would likely require at least a 6 month lease though in that case.

10 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Don't forget that Airbnb etc. is illegal in Thailand unless lets are less than one month unless the property has an hotel licence.
As far as I recall, the only person to be prosecuted is the landlord and not you. 

I meant to type  'Airbnb etc. is illegal in Thailand unless lets are MORE than one month'

Thanks for the advice.

If anyone is able to recommend a particular apartment or hotel they have stayed in for a month or more, which is reasonably close to the gay scene but reasonably quiet, I would so appreciate hearing from you.

I won't be returning to Thailand for a few months, but there's no harm in being better prepared this time round.

Check Airbnb listed units in the following neighborhoods: Silom, Sathorn, Samyan, and Chong Nonsi.

You can view locations on the site's map feature.

Be advised that popular units are frequently booked six or more months in advance so a few months is definitely not too early.

I stayed at View Talay 6 last time I was in Pattaya. It was a few years ago now. There were several real estate agencies on the first floor so it took me a while to find the correct one. I had a big corner apartment. It's right next to the Central Festival mall and the Hilton hotel. So it's a short-ish walk to Boystown. If you want to go to Jomtien you'd have to jump on a baht bus. Overall I liked the location because I enjoy killing time at the mall during the day so it was convenient for that and if you like to walk along the beach it's right across Beach Road. The apartment building was OK but a little dated. It's quite big, so sometimes it took a little while to get a lift. I wouldn't call it quiet as it's pretty much right in town and there was often music playing from the surrounding bars and other venues.

I have booked 6 weeks at an airbnb for the first part of my next stay, airbnb is more expensive than apartment rentals and there are a few listings that look very scammy, avoid new listings with no reviews and hosts that are trying to sub-lease hostel and hotel rooms.

I was looking on hipflat, fazwaz and other apartment rental websites but most seemed to need a 6-12 month lease. Those sites are good to see what apartments look like in buildings and can help narrow the search.
When I get there in a few weeks I'm going to do some walking around to talk with the rental offices in the buildings i'm interested in and ask if they do month-to-month rentals, but i think that might be easier in Pattaya than Bangkok to get monthly rentals.

1) Rent a hotel for 3 days in the area where you want to rent accommodation.
2) Find a rental on Facebook in the market and in these 3 days find yourself a house or apartment at the best prices from the owners.
- prices are 30-40% lower than on Airbnb
- prices are 60-70% lower than on Booking

View Talay 2 is located opposite the entrance to the Jomtien Complex (Supertown).

There are a number of agents located on the ground floors of the two buildings - A and B.

One of the agents in 2B manages the following rental website, which has a wide range of available properties in View Talay 2 and also some of the other nearby condominiums.

https://www.propertytoday.net/

From my experience of View Talay 2B, it is an excellent, gay-friendly, well managed condominium with a very large outdoor pool. It is a popular choice with many customers of the Jomtien Complex.