PeterRS

New Thai Elite Visa Programme DOES target retirees BUT . . .

On 9/4/2023 at 1:50 AM, paulsf said:

I’m headed to the airport to start my 20 hours of joy in a couple of hours.   

My journey was 70 hours from when I left my house, but that includes 1 night in a Houston hotel....so real travel time without hotel stay was 49 hrs with flights and connections....from Houston to Bali.

2 hours ago, floridarob said:

My journey was 70 hours from when I left my house, but that includes 1 night in a Houston hotel....so real travel time without hotel stay was 49 hrs with flights and connections....from Houston to Bali.

that's what happens when people are too cheap to take private jet.

but finally you arrived and fun starts I presume.

Salamat !

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I suspect floridarob just passed by Business class on his way to economy. As least that is what I'd do

I'm going to have to start travelling economy soon ,getting too expensive BClass 

I heard you can buy 2 economy seats and being 108kg the seats are getting smaller and my bum 🍑bigger 😂

• Members
5 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

I'm going to have to start travelling economy soon ,getting too expensive BClass 

I heard you can buy 2 economy seats and being 108kg the seats are getting smaller and my bum 🍑bigger 😂

True, on trans-pacific flight, the price of 2 economy seats is about the same as one premium economy seat, which is half of a business class seat.

7 hours ago, scott456 said:

I hope you at least sit in business class cabin.

Is one of the reasons was such a long routing, to get Business class. I got these tickets sometime ago at 187,000 miles each, Houston-Bali then Bali-BKK then Bkk- Houston United later devalued their points and today same trip would cost 400-450k miles....or MORE, so ridiculous.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

Avoid Air New Zealand, somebody told me they start weighting passengers and charging them for over weight

Air New Zealand does weigh passengers for international flights but not to charge extra for those who are overweight. It is conducting a long-term survey to find out what the average weight of passengers on its long haul flights is likely to be. It still uses averages per passanger as set by nation's Civil Aviation Authority.

But I remember seeing some years ago an episode of the Air Crash Investigation tv series about the crash of a small commuter aircraft somewhere in the USA. It occurred about 20 years ago and one reason was that the average weight of passengers as mandated by the FAA had been considerably exceeded. The Accident Report recommendation was that this average weight had to be increased. Clearly the larger the aircraft, the more likely it will be that the average weight is higher than mandated. In a small 20-seater, individual passanger weights become much more crucial.

35 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Is one of the reasons was such a long routing, to get Business class. I got these tickets sometime ago at 187,000 miles each, Houston-Bali then Bali-BKK then Bkk- Houston United later devalued their points and today same trip would cost 400-450k miles....or MORE, so ridiculous.

Isn't this true of almost all mileage tickets now? Cathay Pacific's Asia Miles programme is about to increase mileage requirements yet again after a major overhaul only 5 or so years ago. On my last trip to Tokyo 4 years ago, an economy round trip ticket using Asia Miles BKK/HKG/TPE/TYO/BKK cost around 45,000 miles. Now this iitinerary would have to be built around individual sectors at over double required mileage. 

38 minutes ago, paulsf said:

My trip this week on CX was only 70,000 for Business.  Boston Hkg Bkk.    Deals are still out there but becoming harder to find. 

If that was for a return ticket, it was an almost unbelievable deal! Under the standard Asia Miles award scheme, that should be a minimum of 170,000 miles. But then other One World airlines often have different mileage requirements.

Some carriers offer occasional reduced redemption mileage offers during low-volume periods, Singapore among them.

A few weeks ago they were allowing for a reduction if you allowed them to choose your itinerary. You just picked point of departure and date.

You need to be a member of carriers' frequent flyer program to receive the notices.