Lucky

Help Sought For Prime Day Laptop Purchase

• Members

Hi

I want to buy a relatively inexpensive laptop for traveling, but I want a good one. It's Prime Day on Amazon, but they are mostly brands I have never heard of. Is there a tech savvy guy or two here who could look and advise on what is the best choice?

Here's what I thought might be good:

https://www.amazon.com/URAO-Quad-Core-Lightweight-Computer-Bluetooth/dp/B0CF9VHS45/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2EX0OFCBVF9U0&keywords=laptop&psr=PDAY&qid=1696977804&s=pbdd&sprefix=laptop%2Cpbdd%2C113&sr=1-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5

Thanks for your help!

Lucky

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

What do you want to use it for? Email and web surfing? Gaming? Work? That will influence my suggestions. I would stick to recognizable brand. My go to brands are Asus and HP. 

Something like this maybe? 

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-14-Display-Processor/dp/B0C7P5YJRR/ref=mp_s_a_1_9_maf_1?adgrpid=58920830834&hvadid=675742604799&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9004080&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8941681763041221598&hvtargid=kwd-104628199&hydadcr=20131_13388469&keywords=best+laptop+deals&qid=1696987642&refinements=p_n_feature_thirty-three_browse-bin%3A23720418011%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A2423840011&rnid=2242797011&s=pc&sr=1-9&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

You should avoid Celeron processors since they are powerless for modern tasks.

As for brands check Chuwi brand. It is less known outside of China, but it is VERY reliable and usually prices are fraction of the same powerful notebooks from more known brands. I use notebooks and tabs from Chuwi for about 5 years already and they are amazing, esp. displays - almost the same quality of pictures as Apple products.

1 hour ago, Moses said:

You should avoid Celeron processors since they are powerless for modern tasks.

As for brands check Chuwi brand. It is less known outside of China, but it is VERY reliable and usually prices are fraction of the same powerful notebooks from more known brands. I use notebooks and tabs from Chuwi for about 5 years already and they are amazing, esp. displays - almost the same quality of pictures as Apple products.

Celeron is just fine for 99% of users. Chuwi gets pretty bad customer reviews (I've seen a few with 25% of reviews being 1 rated - that is very bad).  So for now, this is the only Chewy I am interested in...

chewbacca-nod.gif.b6c050138360147993c3803f2bc28bb4.gif

• Members
12 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

My Ipad does not do well on the internet. Pages don't load or load very slowly. I realize that may be a low wi-fi input, but my home wi-fi produces the same result. I thought a laptop would be better for surfing the internet.

11 hours ago, fedssocr said:

Depending what you need to do, you might consider a Chromebook. I am using one at this very moment. For things like web surfing and email it's plenty. 

I'd also recommend a Chromebook, especially for travelling, depending on your needs. I've been using them for several years (though still use a standard laptop for work purposes).

I find Chromebooks more than sufficient for general use (web browsing, e-mail, watching videos etc). I find they tend to be lighter / less bulky / more durable than standard laptops, while still giving the laptop-feel that tablets don't. A big advantage also is that, like a smart phone, you open it and it's ready to go, much less time rebooting / resuming sessions than a laptop. They're generally much cheaper too, but may be more limited if you need specific software / apps and probably much less internal storage.

Previously I've bought HP's which have been good, currently using a Lenovo, which has also proved fine for my purposes.

A Chromebook is a laptop form factor, but instead of running Windows or MacOS it runs ChromeOS. Most of what you do is in the Chrome web browser but you can also install Android apps and use those. I use mine mostly for basic web surfing, email and some YouTube viewing.  There is a wide range of prices and hardware specs. My current Chromebook is from Asus but it was more of a high end choice. As noted HP, Acer, Lenovo, and Samsung are all in the Chromebook game.

You might want to consider an iPad or similar tablet that can connect to cell networks like your phone does. All you'd need to do is put in a Sim card, (or get the agent to do it when you buy the sim) and it'll work just like your phone does.

In Thailand with its great network coverage, you'll probabaly find it a lot faster than random Wifi hotspots, and a lot less hassle.

Some options:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-10-2/64gb-silver-wifi-cellular

https://www.samsung.com/us/tablets/galaxy-tab-s9-fe/buy/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/configure/Surface-Go-3/

Edit: You might want to check if your current ipad supports sim cards :)

• Members

I let Prime Day pass so today took advantage of early Black Friday sale on Amazon and bought this:

I couldn't see the value of a Chromebook over a laptop. My bad experience with my old Ipad kept me from buying a new one. So I hope this laptop does the job.
It didn't cost much at $239.

59 minutes ago, Lucky said:

I let Prime Day pass so today took advantage of early Black Friday sale on Amazon and bought this:

I couldn't see the value of a Chromebook over a laptop. My bad experience with my old Ipad kept me from buying a new one. So I hope this laptop does the job.
It didn't cost much at $239.

For the price, it's a good deal.

Just don't expect it to be doing anything much beyond basic web surfing type tasks.