t0oL1

Thailand invites Putin...

I am aware there are members of this forum from many countries. And that is a good thing because it allows for a variety of views. But the written language of posts is English (with occasional quotes or epithets in another language like 'entre-nous'). @TotallyOz Can we please have a ruling about posts in other written  languages - even if they are translations of earlier posts in English?

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

I am aware there are members of this forum from many countries. And that is a good thing because it allows for a variety of views. But the written language of posts is English (with occasional quotes or epithets in another language like 'entre-nous'). @TotallyOz Can we please have a ruling about posts in other written  languages - even if they are translations of earlier posts in English?

Where's problem ? Kostik posts in English, only posts he quotes are translated into Russian, probably automatically  but rest assured translations are correct (I speak and read the language ) and it's easy to identify source quoted

On 10/23/2023 at 5:31 AM, Ruthrieston said:

I look forward to Putin being arrested as a war criminal and imprisoned for the rest of his miserable life. Thailand's support for him is an international disgrace.

Dreams... dreams...

Meanwhile Thailand on past week extended for Russians from 30 to 90 days time for visits without visas. 

3 minutes ago, Moses said:

Putin is leader for majority in Russia. Nobody can tell the same about American president. Each president is leader for minority and US even hasn't direct elections.

With respect Moses, you are certainly not comparing like with like. American Presidential Elections may well have their problems, but they are nowhere as bad as those in Russia. As is stated in wikipedia -

"Elections in Russia have not been free and fair under Putin's rule. Political opponents are jailed and repressed, independent media are intimidated and suppressed, and electoral fraud is rampant. Political scientists characterize Russia's political system as "competitive authoritarianism" or a hybrid regime, as it combines authoritarian and democratic institutions."

I could have gone into more detail by quoting other sites. But the above is virtually what all state. 

25 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

As is stated in wikipedia

Are you serious? Anyone may state in Wiki anything because anyone may edit it.

Here are going monthly researches. Including Gallup's research. Some researches are provided by state agencies, some - by private agencies, some are provided by "foreign agents" (read: "opposition").  And results are every time the same - Putin is supported by majority of Russians.

Results from state agencies shows 75-80% support, private agencies show 70-75%, agencies from opposition show 65-70%. So no doubts - right now 2/3 of Russians support Putin. You may call it "refrigerator's vote" - people are voting for him because during his time quality of life in Russia grew more than 5 times, first of all - personal income.

Here is Levada-centr's website. Private agency which serves opposition https://www.levada.ru/indikatory/odobrenie-organov-vlasti/ use Google translation.  

2 hours ago, Moses said:

Are you serious? Anyone may state in Wiki anything because anyone may edit it.

You did not read my post. I started by stating - "I could have gone into more detail by quoting other sites. But the above is virtually what all state." The site you quote bears no credibility since in its own words it states -

"Levada Analytical Center (Levada-Center) is a Russian non-governmental research organization." In other words, it is based in Russia. Enough said!

What about the views of the Russian-Election Monitor. Who are they?

"The "Russian Election Monitor" is the initiative of a group of European scholars, former and active politicians, and public officials united by the strong belief that Russian voters have the same right to democratic and free elections as every citizen in Europe does. Electoral experts and citizen election observers working hard to make the electoral process in Russia more free, fair, and transparent deserve all our attention and full support."

Here is what they wrote of last month's elections.

"8, 9 and 10 September in Russia were days of elections of State Duma deputies in four districts, heads of 21 regions, deputies of 16 regional parliaments, 12 city councils of regional capitals, as well as elections in the occupied territories and numerous local elections . . .

"Assessing the elections, experts observe a serious deterioration in the realization of voting rights by citizens. The drop is striking even compared to the previous elections which were not particularly free and fair either.

"This year's campaign is characterized by centralized propaganda, censorship, forceful suppression of any dissent, demonstrative use of administrative resources for the benefit of the United Russia party and its candidates, coercion of administratively dependent (state-employed) categories of voters to participate in elections and vote for specific candidates. All this comes with a widespread unpunished violation of electoral legislation, the principles of equal and free elections, and the voting rights of citizens. A significant loss of independence by election commissions is recorded."

https://www.russian-election-monitor.org/elections-2023-even-less-free-and-fair-than-before.html

Enough said!

Sure. It has possibility to question Russians within Russia.

And you should check the bottom of the site: АНО “Левада-Центр” внесена Минюстом в реестр некоммерческих организаций, выполняющих функции иностранного агента (translation for you: ANO “Levada-Center” was included by the Ministry of Justice in the register of non-profit organizations performing the functions of a foreign agent. I.e. it is opposition owned resource.)

Even opposition here doesn't deny: Putin has approval of majority.  And after that conclusion any texts about Russian presidential elections are pure speculation - when candidate has majority of population his victory is clear, despite propaganda says about "fair/notfair" and uses other tricks. He has majority, he is legitimate anyway.

administrative resources for the benefit of the United Russia party

Well is it bad? Is it bad what Biden uses resources of Dem party? Is it bad what Trump uses resources of Rep. party? 

United Russia is one of 6 parties represented in Russian Duma (parliament). What's bad in fact what it supports Putin?

28 minutes ago, unicorn said:

That's a ridiculous statement and you know it.

How does this refute the fact: Putin has votes of the majority of citizens of Russia?

It is clear: Biden has approval rate below 30%. It is clear Putin has approval rate above 60%. And this is problem for Western propaganda - approval rate shows: president has votes of majority. With that is not possible to say "he isn't legitimate". 

When all public opinion polls show that the level of approval of Putin's actions is above 60%, it is pointless to talk about the nature of the presidential election. And in these conditions, no matter what the elections are - free, fake, democratic or under pressure - they will still show a result that corresponds to public opinion.

And no matter what propaganda says in Western sources, no matter what epithets it uses when talking about Putin - aggressor, tyrant, autocrat... whatever - this will not eliminate the fact: Putin has the support of the majority of the population of Russia. Refrigerators all over Russia are voting for him - they are stocked better than 20 and 10 years ago.

From CNN

The US says Russia is executing its own soldiers and has threatened entire units with execution for failing to obey orders.

National Security Council coordinator for strategic communications John Kirby told reporters: “We have information that the Russian military has been actually executing soldiers who refuse to follow orders, we also have information that Russian commanders are threatening to execute entire units if they seek to retreat from Ukrainian artillery fire.”

Security Council coordinator for strategic communications John Kirby told reporters: “We have information that the Russian military has been actually executing soldiers who refuse to follow orders, we also have information that Russian commanders are threatening to execute entire units if they seek to retreat from Ukrainian artillery fire.”

Russia’s mobilized forces in the region “remain under-trained, under-equipped and unprepared for combat,” Kirby said, and have been largely used in what he called “human wave tactics” as it attempts to forge ahead with a renewed offensive.

While Russia continues to have some offensive capability and may achieve some tactical gains on the battlefield, it continues to show no regard for the lives of soldiers,” Kirby told reporters.

2 hours ago, Moses said:

How does this refute the fact: Putin has votes of the majority of citizens of Russia?

Not difficult when many opposition parties and most major opposition political figures are either killed or jailed. There is no free press in Russia. The President has the power to control the media and obtain preferential media exposure. The electoral system is skewed to ensure the dominance of United Russia candidates. The chances of appeal are all but zero. President Putin signed into law a decree allowing a three day voting period thereby increasing the likelihood of rigging the outcome.

Other parties are of course permitted, but only if they offer little or no opposition or, better still, have links to United Russia. For the 2020 elections, three new parties were allowed to participate - New People, For Truth and Green Alternative. Each, though, has links to the Kremin meaning that even though they might siphon off votes from the increasingly unpopular United Russia, the votes will not go to more genuine opposition parties.

According to the levada website you quoted, about 85% of the Russian population supported Putin at the start of 2023. The cult of personality surrounding Putin includes a number of popular brands - Putinka vodka, PuTin canned food, Gorbusha Putina caviar and others. Putin and his image is everywhere. There is no viable opposition. 

I am not a fan of a dual party system as in the USA or, largely speaking, in the UK. Nor am I a fan of the electoral processes in either country. The Presidents/Prime Ministers of neither country win by popular vote, and so a comparison with Russia is quite meaningless. But, apart from Trump and his lying hordes, virtually all people in each country accept the result of voting without question as having been free and fair.

4 hours ago, reader said:

The US says Russia is executing its own soldiers and has threatened entire units with execution for failing to obey orders.

Well it is compile with general trend of US propaganda. Than more they will say, then more there will be lies. 

And about "mobilization" and "mobilized". The only mobilization in Russia was from September 21 2022 to the end of October 2022. In total here were mobilized 300K, mostly for police functions and security on taken territories. There were 600K of contracted military personnel at time of start of military operation, since that time about 500K more were contracted (360K in 2023). Mobilized personnel isn't motivated enough for to fight, so they are in service outside of line of the front. 

1 hour ago, Moses said:

Oh, yes, let's talk about me. I understand your situation: you have no facts for objection, so have to talk about me. I'm sorry about it (not really).

You want facts from those regimes....what I have is experience, been to all three of those countries and have many friends still living in 2 that I'm still in touch with.

Yes, I'll talk about you.... because you are what my cousin used to refer to as an intelligent idiot. You think what you read is all there is, no common sense or real life experience... fucking idiot's like you is what's wrong with this world. 

Get a life, get out of your basement thriving only on politics........ 🙄

17 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Yes, I'll talk about you.... because you are what my cousin used to refer to as an intelligent idiot. You think what you read is all there is, no common sense or real life experience... fucking idiot's like you is what's wrong with this world. 

Get a life, get out of your basement thriving only on politics........

Then tell me: who of us is more idiot - me, who is talking about facts and about life what I see around me while I'm living in Russia, or you - who is pretending to be expert and trying to talk about me while have zero knowledges about me?

14 hours ago, Moses said:

Putin is leader for majority in Russia. 

That's because Putin and his party control every aspect of the elections:

• Electoral competition is limited, as strong candidates, including some from Russia's main opposition Communist Party, are blocked from running by authorities.
  • In the run-up to elections, there's an atmosphere of intimidation of critical independent voices. There is no international independent observation, but independent local observers report a lot of election irregularities.
  • Opposition candidates are detained, having their cars vandalised, and, in one case, military draft papers are being served to election observers.
  • Elections in Moscow are easily rigged due to the capital's system of electronic voting, which are said to be impossible to audit. Similar systems have been rolled out in many other Russian regions. Moscow authorities rely on electronic voting (DEG) systems, which can provide whatever official result they want.
  • "The Kremlin hails election results, saying United Russia, which President Vladimir Putin helped found, has confirmed its role as the leading party. It said the election had been competitive, open and honest." 😎 🙃 😎

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/20/pro-putin-party-wins-russia-poll-slammed-as-a-sham-by-opposition

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-regional-vote-delivers-strong-result-putin-amid-claims-rigging-2023-09-10/

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2023/09/12/russia-s-2023-regional-voting