10tazione

Thai Vietjet - The 1st to implement AOT's Biometric Identification System

From Nationthailand:

With the implementation of the Smart Path system for the check-in of flight VZ626 from Bangkok to Singapore, Thai Vietjet has become the first airline that initiated the ‘Smart Path,’ an automated biometric identification system developed by the Airport Authority of Thailand (AOT).

https://www.nationthailand.com/lifestyle/travel/40032378

18 hours ago, Ruthrieston said:

I really can't stand all this technology stuff, I much prefer to deal with a human being.

problem is not mastering technology as at end of day in most cases it's either easy or irrelevant ( there still bank branches when we can take cash if we can't master ATM)

Problem is what happens with all that information which is gathered about us in the process. Privacy invasion is one concern, crooks putting their hand on it is even bigger one. And worst part , for sheer convenience we happily co-operate until one day unpaid speeding ticket in Asuncion, Paraguay will prevent us from crossing border to Philippines, who wants to admit such miscreants into it's illustrious shores. 

Hong Kong airport has been using this technology since at least the start of the year. Perhaps becase it is so relatively new, on my three visits this year so far, I find it actually slows down what used to be a very fast system (especially for those with HK Permanent Identity cards). From observing just a few passengers, some tourists seem to have a problem with spectacles, others with inserting their identity documents the correct way at the first 'station'. 

It's also been in use in Taipei when exiting the country since pre covid. For some reason, at Taoyuan airport the whole process works much faster.

Quite a few airlines have implemented facial recognition solutions, when you can go from checking your bags to boarding the plane without having to take a boarding pass out. Emirates and Delta are two that come to my mind right now. At The international terminal at LAX, where I usually fly from, most of the times you board the plane just by having a picture taken.

On 11/4/2023 at 9:40 PM, PeterRS said:

It's also been in use in Taipei when exiting the country since pre covid. For some reason, at Taoyuan airport the whole process works much faster.

Yeah, leaving TPE is usually a quick process. They take a picture of your face and scan two fingerprints at an automated gate. Entering through TPE though is such a pain. The immigration process is extremely slow. I've had to wait between 30-75 minutes during day hours. They should automatize that process, especially for countries that don't require a visa or at least increase the number of immigration agents. Such a shame for an advanced country like Taiwan. Makes BKK looks quite well-run in comparison.

• Members

For immigration,  personally I still prefer having the stamp in my passport, just in case I have to prove my entry/depart to some authorities later.

As far as boarding the plane, the bio metrics system is more beneficial to the airline because it shorten the boarding time, and allow shorter turn around time for airplanes.  It doesn't make much difference to me because I am usually among the first or second group to board the plane with business class tickets or elite status with airline alliances.

10 hours ago, hojacat said:

Entering through TPE though is such a pain. The immigration process is extremely slow. I've had to wait between 30-75 minutes during day hours. They should automatize that process, especially for countries that don't require a visa or at least increase the number of immigration agents. Such a shame for an advanced country like Taiwan. Makes BKK looks quite well-run in comparison.

I used to find that, especially coming from BKK on the mid-morning flight. It always seemed to arrive just after flights from Seoul and somewhere in China. the latter requiring special paperwork.

But as I mentioned some weeks back, anyone flying into Taipei three or more times in a year qualifies for fast track entry. I used that on my last visit in July and it was a breeze as there was only one passenger in front of me. The application form is widely avaiable on the internet.

• Members
3 hours ago, PeterRS said:

But as I mentioned some weeks back, anyone flying into Taipei three or more times in a year qualifies for fast track entry. I used that on my last visit in July and it was a breeze as there was only one passenger in front of me. The application form is widely avaiable on the internet.

On "fast track", if you are referring to the "e-gate" entry, you need to register your passport with an immigration officer first(at any regular immigration line), have your face metric and finger prints taken, you do this once.  After this, you can proceed to use the "e-gate" on all your future visits.  This e-gate entry is only open to several nationalities (6? Germany, U.S., S. Korea, Singapore, Australia, Italy...etc).

Again, I still prefer a stamp in my passport.  With "e-gate entry", you don't get any stamps.

29 minutes ago, scott456 said:

On "fast track", if you are referring to the "e-gate" entry, you need to register your passport with an immigration officer first(at any regular immigration line), have your face metric and finger prints taken, you do this once.  After this, you can proceed to use the "e-gate" on all your future visits.  This e-gate entry is only open to several nationalities (6? Germany, U.S., S. Korea, Singapore, Australia, Italy...etc).

Again, I still prefer a stamp in my passport.  With "e-gate entry", you don't get any stamps.

No, it's not really fast track. It's the same entrance as for diplomats, APEC Business card holders and others permitted fast entry. You still need your passport, the special fast entry certificate which you get from the internet, have fingerprints and a face pic taken and you do get the entry stamp in the passport. To qualify for fast entry after one year, you need to check those entry stamps as they are requested on the web form. Since there are always few passengers using the line, though, it's fast and easy.

However, if you use the fast track gates to exit, you do not get an exit stamp.