PeterRS

Chinese Tourists Avoiding Thailand: BBC Report

Walking the streets of Silom daily, the absence of groups of Chinese is noticeable. However, that doesn’t mean there’s an overall dearth of tourists. I’ve never seen Thaniya more crowded. The Patpong Night Market is vibrant and pedestrian traffic most nights is strong. Observing the passers by on Patpong 2 last night from Hot Male beer bar with a fellow board member, it was evident that tourists from elsewhere in Asia and western countries are picking up some of the slack. 

Hotel bookings are strong and restaurants and pubs are doing well. Soi 4 is doing a robust business on most nights and the massage shops are holding their own despite stiff competition.

Venues like 76 Garage are obviously hurting because they owed their success to tourists from a single source who travel in groups. Individual Chinese are still finding their way to Bangkok but aren’t necessarily drawn to those attractions.

The Chinese trade will be slower to materialize because of some of the reasons cited in the OP but also due to China’s current economic woes. Meanwhile, Thailand seems destined to prosper because it simply has so much to offer to all.

5 minutes ago, reader said:

Hotel bookings are strong and restaurants and pubs are doing well. Soi 4 is doing a robust business on most nights and the massage shops are holding their own despite stiff competition.

Agree. I don't recall one of my fave hotel charging upwards $300 for a room - even pre covid. And just look at the side by side massage places on silom soi 6.

7 hours ago, scott456 said:

You are on a different league. 

Hard to deny. I have my hotel indulgencies  but rather  not in three digits dollar range. Reason is not only monetary but I noticed that more opulent room is less inclined I'm to step out. 

What needs to be said , among other things Thailand  hotels , even in higher range,  are affordable in comparison in other places and if somebody is inclined to bask in some affordable hotel luxury, Thailand along with Cambodia and Vietnam are places to go.

I confirm Orson's findings as I check Bangkok prices from time to time , it seems that hotels are holding their prices comparatively quite high. Trying to recoup covid time losses I guess.

A report on early morning BBC news also report one of the reasons for a drop in younger chinese (and Taiwanese) tourists is the risk of kidnap and taken to Cambodia where there is a large and thriving trade in organ harvesting, and also human trafficking is a real problem for younger chinese (also reported in the Guardian newpaper in the UK) 

Kidnap is a real problem for younger chinese tourists, that's why the numbers fell off a cliff, believed to be made worse by Chinese Tourist Vlogs scaring the pants of thier fellow nationals by reporting it on social media. 

• Members
6 minutes ago, EX Navy Dad said:

A report on early morning BBC news also report one of the reasons for a drop in younger chinese tourists is the risk of kidnap and taken to Mayanmar where there is a large and thriving trade in organ harvesting, particularly for younger people. 

Kidnap is a real problem for younger chinese tourists, that's why the numbers fell off a cliff, believed to be made worse by Chinese Tourist Vlogs scaring the pants of thier fellow nationals by reporting it on social media. 

Horrible.

26 minutes ago, scott456 said:

Horrible.

Really horrible, I'd also point out you quoted me before I made an edit, suggesting Myanmar when it should read Cambodia, but both countries have questionable behaviour towards younger chinese and taiwanese tourists. 

10 hours ago, EX Navy Dad said:

China and Hong Kong have been guilty of kidnapping journalists and booksellers (among others) from countries like Thailand and countries/provinces like Taiwan. I believe the numbers are small but legal actions against such action seem to have failed.

From The Bangkok Post 23 April 2023

Chinese tourist gets abducted at RCA, two suspects flee Thailand 

Another abduction case of a Chinese national has taken place in Bangkok, with police admitting the two suspects have fled Thailand. Deputy Metropolitan Pol Col Noppasin Poonsawat said the abduction took place on April 17. The victim, 28, is a Chinese solo tourist who went to an entertainment venue in Bangkok's Royal City Avenue (RCA).  There she met a Chinese man who later invited her to an apartment he rented in the Rama 9 area. 

Another man was hiding in the unit. The suspects tied her with rope before seizing her mobile phone, cash and other belongings worth 427,000 baht. In the early hours of April 18, the suspects left the apartment for Suvarnabhumi airport and fled Thailand, said Pol Col Noppasin. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2555026/chinese-tourist-gets-abducted-at-rca-two-suspects-flee-thailand