floridarob

Pattaya Day 2 Jan 2024

7 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

The Brits and Aussies are so cute with their little nicknames for places.

How quaint and colonialist is it to shorten the name of a foreign place just like they say Herts for Hertfordshire? 🤓 

Since I live in Hertfordshire, I assume I am allowed to shorten it to Herts, as almost everyone I know here does? Saves time entering my address! 

On 1/29/2024 at 3:08 PM, Marc in Calif said:

The Brits and Aussies are so cute with their little nicknames for places.

How quaint and colonialist is it to shorten the name of a foreign place just like they say Herts for Hertfordshire? 🤓 

So you won't be shortening "กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์" next time you visit? 😄

1 hour ago, thaiophilus said:

So you won't be shortening "กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์" next time you visit? 😄

Thais shorten place names by simply using the first syllable or group of syllables. 

On the other hand, the Brits make something cute about a name: Pats. In this particular case, there's absolutely no "s" in the name Pattaya. Yet they want it to sound like a place in their home country like Herts, Leics, Lincs, Mons, Notts, Staffs, and Warks. If there isn't a "Wanks," there should be!

Simple hint to the Brits: There's no "-shire" at the end of Southeast Asian place names. You're not in Jogs, Mans, Toks, or Vients.  🤣

14 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Thais shorten place names by simply using the first syllable or group of syllables. 

On the other hand, the Brits make something cute about a name: Pats. In this particular case, there's absolutely no "s" in the name Pattaya. Yet they want it to sound like a place in their home country like Herts, Leics, Lincs, Mons, Notts, Staffs, and Warks. If there isn't a "Wanks," there should be!

Simple hint to the Brits: There's no "-shire" at the end of Southeast Asian place names. You're not in Jogs, Mans, Toks, or Vients.  🤣

Gosh, no Hanoishire , Delhishire, etc. I'm shocked..... Just off to visit Del! 

FWIW Herts, Leics, Lincs, Mons, Notts, Staffs, Warks are all formal contractions of county names, only used in writing, and not even slightly cute. Likewise Hants, Northants, Oxon and Salop. You won't hear them used in colloquial spoken British English. Plenty of British towns and cities get nicknames, but I'm not aware of any that do it by adding an S , so I think you need to look elsewhere to explain "Pats", "Patts" or even (ugh!) "Patters".

9 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Gosh, no Hanoishire , Delhishire, etc. I'm shocked..... Just off to visit Del! 

Perhaps I should pint out that 'shire' only applies to counties, not places.