Olddaddy

Times changing?

14 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Subregions of Asia according to geographers, anthropologists, and linguists

South Asia: the entire subcontinent including India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and sometimes Afghanistan (they're all south of Russia and China, bounded to the south by the Indian Ocean and to the north by the Himalayas and adjacent mountain ranges)

Southeast Asia: mainland from Burma in the northwest to Malaysia in the south, plus Singapore and islands of Indonesia and the Philippines in the east

East Asia: Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Mongolia

Pacific Islanders: Polynesia, Micro- and Melanesia, and sometimes the Philippines

Central Asia: Uzbekistan and all the other -stans plus Iran, and sometimes central Russia, western China, Mongolia, and Afghanistan

West Asia: Turkey and the entire Middle East including Saudi Arabia and the Gulf nations, and sometimes Iran

Thank! At least I was right about South Asian! What about North Asian?

12 minutes ago, vinapu said:

in some circles they are called Russians or East Europeans

I don't think what somebody may call Buryat or Yakut as "Russian" because of visible Asian roots. But many call Belarusian and Ukrainian as "Russian" because non-native Russian speakers can't distinguish these 3 nations.

Buryat and Yakut on photos:

bbb6c835fcee9eca38c42f21eb22990b.thumb.jpg.1ab2508bbfc26acf558477c777a590ca.jpg

HD4Jz3Va.thumb.jpg.0062342e24c6d97994a3b624775c36e8.jpg

1 hour ago, Moses said:

I don't think what somebody may call Buryat or Yakut as "Russian" because of visible Asian roots. But many call Belarusian and Ukrainian as "Russian" because non-native Russian speakers can't distinguish these 3 nations.

Buryat and Yakut on photos:

both very handsome, specially first one. 

As for calling them Russian  it depends of degree of nationalism. For most of English speakers the will be, since  they come from Russia. Kissinger was American even if born and raised in Germany and Madame Curie was French scientist even if Polish  born and raised. Not to mention Marshall Rokossovsky, Russian without drop of Russian blood. Other than Trump who would call Obama Kenyan? 

On 2/9/2024 at 2:09 AM, Marc in Calif said:

I

So if those tourists are inded from Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, or Korea, it's fine to describe them as East Asian

This isn't a matter of being "PC." It's a matter of being accurate and specific. 🎯

No it's not!

4 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

That's a regional term that is not as common as the others. I've definitely seen Northeast Asia, which excludes Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. 

Interesting, what does North East Asia include?

50 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

Interesting, what does North East Asia include?

In the following definition, Japan and Korea are included. As it states, "the definition of Northeast Asia is not static but often changes according to the context in which it is discussed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Asia

I'm not making these subregional names up! They're all defined on Wikipedia and other sites.  😉

8 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

In the following definition, Japan and Korea are included. As it states, "the definition of Northeast Asia is not static but often changes according to the context in which it is discussed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Asia

I'm not making these subregional names up! They're all defined on Wikipedia and other sites.  😉

Most confusing, as you earlier said that Japan was not included. And its East , not West!

10 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Most confusing, as you earlier said that Japan was not included. And its East , not West!

As I quoted, "the definition of Northeast Asia is not static but often changes according to the context in which it is discussed."

You seem to expect fixed, never-changing definitions. Why not start with "gay" and "straight"? 😎

Or are you just taking the mickey? Fooling around? Taking the piss? Mocking?

I suggest that you simply use "Oriental" if that's your style. 🎯

13 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

As I quoted, "the definition of Northeast Asia is not static but often changes according to the context in which it is discussed."

You seem to expect fixed, never-changing definitions. Why not start with "gay" and "straight"? 😎

Or are you just taking the mickey? Fooling around? Taking the piss? Mocking?

I suggest that you simply use "Oriental" if that's your style. 🎯

Touchy chap, aren't you. 

9 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Touchy chap, aren't you. 

Well, you're the one who kept questioning these regional definitions because you couldn't pin them down as rigid and precise.

Nothing seemed to satisfy you, so I had to ask about your motivation.

Nothing out of bounds there, chappy! 😎

13 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Well, you're the one who kept questioning these regional definitions because you couldn't pin them down as rigid and precise.

Nothing seemed to satisfy you, so I had to ask about your motivation.

Nothing out of bounds there, chappy! 😎

No wonder you are so unpopular!