unicorn

Do you ever break up flights to avoid overnight flights?

• Members

We've decided to take our honeymoon in the Galápagos Islands (cruise). The American Airlines flight leaves MIA for Quito at 10:05 AM. The airlines and cruise lines would rather we take an "overnight" flight of some 5 1/2 hours to make this connection (leaving late at night, arriving early morning), but I'd much rather take a flight earlier that day (say around noon), then spend the night in a hotel by MIA, and catch the flight the next day. In fact, I'd rather fly Main Cabin Extra than do the overnight flight in 1st Class, especially since it looks as though AA has gotten rid of Flagship service between LAX and MIA. The nominal cost of a hotel (looking at rates, shouldn't be much more than $100 for a night at a decent place on the dates we plan to go) more than makes up for the discomfort, and especially the difference between MCE and 1st Class. In any case, there isn't even enough time on a 5.5 hour flight to get a decent rest, even if one can sleep in those seats which don't lie flat. What do you do in these instances?

I've broken up flights many times just to be able to get a full eight hours of sleep in a hotel. Depending on the city, I might spend two or three days if there are enough things I want to see and do. My recommendation is Definitely yes -- do it! You'll get to have a relaxing evening in Miami.

Flying from California over the oceans, I've stopped over in Singapore, Taipei, Seoul, and Bangkok (Pacific) and in London, Lisbon, Amsterdam, and Paris (Atlantic). Then I arrive at my final destination after one or more days that help me get rid of jetlag. 

during working career I tried to utilize vacations to the max so never broke trip unless forced to but now whenever there's possibility I do it either to have proper rest in bed or more important to do some sightseeing during break Love those " arrive at 7 am and continue at 7 pm to your destination" 

Yes quite a few times but for me they were relatively short flights compared to what most take, flying back to Australia from either the Philippines or Vietnam via Singapore I opted for a few nights stop over rather than connecting flights and spending hours in transit at the airport. Mind you a few hours transit at Changi isn't too bad a thing even way back then but looking at some flight options now that transit is down to under 1 hour which doesn't leave much room if the first flight is late even by a short time.

I am more concerned about short transit times than about overnight flights. Nowadays, some airports can be terribly congested and there are infinite reasons for delays. I've had an occasion when I had to run to the departing gate because the arriving flight was late. I made it and was proud of myself. But at the final destination, I was told my luggage didn't make it. "Maybe it will arrive tomorrow".

So if needed to avoid a short transit time, I would even choose an overnight flight.

With flight time more than say 8h i would always choose direct flight overnight over any daytime flight. Even if i cant sleep well, time passes much faster.

I also prefer flights where the sleeping time on the plane corresponds with the sleeping time in the destination time zone. That eliminates 75% of jetlag for me.

7 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

But at the final destination, I was told my luggage didn't make it. "Maybe it will arrive tomorrow".

That’s why in 22 years of flying to Bangkok I’ve never checked a bag.  I travel light with one 21-inch roller bag and a backpack I can attach to it.

14 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

I am more concerned about short transit times than about overnight flights. Nowadays, some airports can be terribly congested and there are infinite reasons for delays. I've had an occasion when I had to run to the departing gate because the arriving flight was late. I made it and was proud of myself. But at the final destination, I was told my luggage didn't make it. "Maybe it will arrive tomorrow".

So if needed to avoid a short transit time, I would even choose an overnight flight.

I agree. Nowadays I go to some lengths to avoid shortish connecting flights. Especially  international to domestic,  with immigration issues, and futher security checks.