pylonguy71

One Night In Bangkok!

• Members

I scored a very well priced Thai Airways business class ticket that has a 16 hour stopover (land 3pm and leave 7.20am) so I jumped on it as I’ve never been to Bangkok and have been very keen to sample the boy bars there. Plan is to clear immigration and store my luggage at the airport (I checked and there is a service doing this) then head into down, get some dinner then hit the clubs and hopefully off a guy or two!

read about Tawan’s unfortunate closing and that they MAY be reopened by my June 5 arrival. Given they’re the main source of my type (more muscular and very fitness model types, not into twinks) was wondering if anyone could provide names of other venues that would be good to check out on a Wednesday night? Also what time is best to go out there? And one last question, given my layover I won’t be booking a hotel or sleeping, so what are the options in terms of places to take guys for an off?

many thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

One more thing, if you are checking your bags, even with a 16 hour connection, they may be tagged through to the final destination.  This was the case for me once on a 14 hour connection (that wasn't in BKK though).  You might check with Thai Airways to see what their policy is, you may not need that luggage storage.

Massage shop visit could easily be had for hour or so. The half-dozen shops on Silom Soi 6 guaranteed to have someone who’ll attract your attention. 

Patpong 2 has five gay bar options. 

5 hours ago, DenverDude said:

One more thing, if you are checking your bags, even with a 16 hour connection, they may be tagged through to the final destination.  This was the case for me once on a 14 hour connection (that wasn't in BKK though).  You might check with Thai Airways to see what their policy is, you may not need that luggage storage.

Typically airlines don't hold luggage for more than 12 hours (reclaim rule), especially if it falls overnight...you'd need to collect it and then recheck before the next flight....

• Members

Thanks for these incredibly useful and detailed replies. You’re right about luggage, it will be checked to my final destination, so I’ll just store my carry on at the airport. I’ll use an airport ATM to get enough cash out (any suggestions for the amount for a massage at Arena and an off or two from Moonlight?). I’ll pre-research transport, but was planning to take a taxi from the airport directly to Arena. Can’t wait to finally experience Bangkok!!

23 hours ago, pylonguy71 said:

Thanks for these incredibly useful and detailed replies. You’re right about luggage, it will be checked to my final destination, so I’ll just store my carry on at the airport. I’ll use an airport ATM to get enough cash out (any suggestions for the amount for a massage at Arena and an off or two from Moonlight?). I’ll pre-research transport, but was planning to take a taxi from the airport directly to Arena. Can’t wait to finally experience Bangkok!!

I was at moonlight recently. The fee is 500 to enter. Drinks for the boy is 450. Bar fine is 500 if you are taking a boy. Fee for boy is 3000. 

On 5/17/2024 at 7:24 AM, DenverDude said:

One more thing, if you are checking your bags, even with a 16 hour connection, they may be tagged through to the final destination.  

Yes. I had 12 hours layover in Dublin beginning of the month and luggagevwas tagged AND DELIVERED to final destination by Air Lingus. It was nice to do luggage free sightseeing.

On 5/17/2024 at 1:02 PM, floridarob said:

Typically airlines don't hold luggage for more than 12 hours (reclaim rule), especially if it falls overnight...you'd need to collect it and then recheck before the next flight....

I wonder whether such a 12-hour rule is only for domestic US flights. For international flights the airline cannot assume that the passenger can get through immigration onto the land side, without which he cannot retrieve his luggage or check in again for the second leg of the journey.

6 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

I wonder whether such a 12-hour rule is only for domestic US flights. For international flights the airline cannot assume that the passenger can get through immigration onto the land side, without which he cannot retrieve his luggage or check in again for the second leg of the journey.

last Sept I had a 11hr 58min connection in HND on ANA and they tried to tell me I'd have to collect my luggage there and recheck because it was a long layover. I didn't want to do that and reminded them of the 12 hr rule and after she checked with a supervisor, they checked the bag thru to ORD so I could do Tokyo without luggage.

I do a lot of long layovers, mostly on purpose and have friends that work for United at ticket counters, flight attendants and ramp workers....all agree, with United at least, about the 12 hour rule or Overnight connections in the US. If I arrived in Houston for example at midnight and I have a 5am or later flight, I'd have to get my luggage and recheck it in the morning, they don't hold bags overnight.

Maybe Thai is different and I hope the OP reports back how it turned out.

On 5/19/2024 at 9:11 PM, colmx said:

where is the trip report! (and you never DM'ed me to be your tour guide!)

I started at 5 am and did not have a heart to wake you up that early. 

As for trip reports I usually put them together after returning home which won't be any time soon