TotallyOz

How much time do you spend when you visit a gay GoGo Bar in Thailand?

I was out with a friend last night in Boyztown and the pickings were slim. I think the rain played a role in the lack of boys in many of the bars. We looked inside several places and decided not to sit and have a drink. The bar we did enter was pretty lackluster and we did not stay very long at all.

The experience just made me think of how much time or lack thereof, I spend when I go to a bar. There are a few bars, like Nice Boys, that I really enjoy and can sit for 30-45 min and drink and relax. If a bar has a show, like X Boys in Pattaya or most of the ones in Bangkok, I can stay and watch the show and really enjoy it. But, if I want into a gogo bar in Thailand and there is no one on stage that interests me, I am ready to go in less than 5-10 minutes and on to the next bar.

I know that are some that can sit in one bar for 4-5 hours or longer. But, I am very curious how long most members here sit in the average gogo bar. How long do you stay? What makes you stay? What makes you leave? What makes a bar good for you? Do you enjoy the shows?

I've been back for a little over a month and haven't gone to one of the shows up here in Chiangmai yet.....and may not go more than 1-2 times per year. For the most part, fairly boring for me (plus the music's too loud, drinks too expensive, etc., etc.). I've gone to host bars and Soho, though, many times since I've been back and enjoy stopping for a drink and chatting with people I know (or want to know....).

Ram Bar (a gay bar on the river in front of River House Massage) is having some kind of "pretty legs" (or something like that) show this Sunday night and, given I already a few of the bartenders/waiters there are cute as hell without showing their legs, I'm going and it ought to be a hoot.

"A hoot"???? Let me try to guess, is that some kind of sex act, or something you do privately in bed. I know it could not be that expression from around WWI as you would be dead from old age by now. Of course, I have heard that in some of the Northern states time stops every winter till the spring thaw comes around and people unfreeze. Yea, that must be it, you must be from North Dakota. :)

Yea, that must be it, you must be from North Dakota.

Close enough, you can freeze your ass off in either place.

Now, involving the age question, the term "hoot" probably hadn't been invented by the time you left school. Then again, you didn't study history in school either because they didn't have any then.....

Guest fountainhall

Before I moved to Bangkok, I was here on average about four times each year for more than 20 years. Initially, I was a regular at the few gogo bars that I knew about, like Apollo in Soi 4 and Twilight. I don’t remember any shows in Apollo but Twilight eventually introduced a simple f--k show at week-ends when it was usually packed, mostly with Thais. The Apollo boys were more attractive, many actually danced and the atmosphere seemed a great deal more fun than the bars do today. But then both bars had nude dancing after about 9:00 pm and I have no doubt that was a major part of their attraction.

I’d usually stay for a couple of hours and got to know several of the guys at Apollo until it died. After moving here, I’d sometimes go to some of the bars in Soi Twilight – usually X-treme, Future Boys and Classic in Soi Twilight. X-treme had a professional dance show every night which was a nice alternative to the usual show formats and the dancers were even cuter than the bar boys, plus they were really happy to chat and have a drink! I’d go with friends and we’d usually stay around 2 hours.

I’m not really a fan of the standard shows and so I’d generally go to the other bars before or after showtime. If there were one or two dancers I liked, I’d stay for more than one drink – but rarely more than an hour. I used to go quite a lot to Solid. It was never the most lively or attractive bar and rarely had more than a handful of customers. But the boys themselves appreciated getting drinks and were often fun to spend time with. One evening, I was the only customer. So I got drinks for everyone and we had a great party. Sadly, it is no more.

There was a discussion early last year about why Bangkok’s gogo bars are not nearly as much fun as they used to be. Mack (I believe better known as shamelessmack and still much missed) made a very interesting and detailed post in which he considers how he would run a bar nowadays. Check out Post #3 on this thread –

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/6548-original-twilight-bar-bangkok/

Would that type of bar appeal to you?

How much time I spend in a bar depends on the bar.

If the bar has many nice boys and slow rotation, I may be there for over an hour. Funny Boys is the best example of this. Rotation at Classic boys can also take some time.

At smaller bars, with faster or no rotation, I may only be there for 30 minutes.

At a bar that has no one I like at all, I may be in the bar for about 15 seconds. Just enough to realise it's not for me and walk straight back out.

Sometimes, if a bar has one really cute guy and he's with another customer, I may wait a little longer, to see if the cute guy returns to the stage.

As for the shows, these rarely appeal. If it's just a drag show, I have the choice between leaving immediately or putting up it for 30 minutes or so until the cute boys return to stage. The excellent shows at Copa are an exception. These are worth watching on merit.

Would that type of bar appeal to you?

You can have the nicest bar or earth or a shit hole but in the end, it will have customers if you have sexy guys there.

I think back to my time in Sao Paulo and there was this Sauna that was in the middle of the big city but about 45 min drive from the downtown. It was in the middle of a neighborhood. The short time rooms were filthy and the place was very old and outdated. But, on weekends, all the neighborhood guys came out to work and they worked no where else. I would hire a taxi time and time again that would take me there and wait for me and bring me back to hotel. The only reason was it has some of the hottest guys I had seen anywhere.

The same would be true for Thailand. You can spend a great deal of money on a place and have it looking and working great but in the end, it needs hot guys there to fill it. For me, it only takes one guy and I'm happy. But, when I walk into a place to have a drink and there is no one on stage that I would be interested in meeting or having a drink with, it makes me feel bad about the place no matter how beautiful the place is.

Guest thaiworthy

No one has mentioned drink prices, which I guess is a minor area of concern. I agree with Kokopelli with the addition of smoking added to the list. Sometimes grabby touts are a nuisance, but nothing I can't handle and only prevent me from entering the bar in the first place.

The kind of bars that appeal to me is Z's choice: Funny Boys. Most of the bars in BKK are very un-Pattayan. Sex shows do not particularly interest me. When I come to Pattaya, I feel like a tourist again, so it can still be fun without overdoing it with a sex trapeze act that costs an arm and a leg. When in Pattaya though, all ll I ask is some flirting and eye contact when someone notices me watching them. If I have them come and sit with me, then money well spent.

Moses, good list for leaving a bar.

After reading yore post I did remember that smoking is one good reason for leaving a bar; even the best ventilation is hard to handle that problem.

Thank you :)

In fact: I don't care about smoking cuz I'm smoker as well. One only thing with smokers can force me to leave: dirty smell of cheap cigars or cigarillos...

Guest anonone

I will stay at a gogo for as long as the vibe is fun. I really enjoy watching Thai guys dance (and I mean dance, not shuffle). There are a couple of guys at some of the bars that really dance their ass off. Great fun to watch...and they are usually the ones that are flirts as well.

I can't stay in Funny Boys very long. Soft music, mostly shufflling guys...not fun in my book, but I accept that it is good for others. If I am in a mellow mood, I can stop by here and I know what to expect.

GUY club on walking street is good fun for me. The dance area is SMALL, but when the guys are up there they are dancing hard. Music is loud (really loud) and staff is happy and engaging. Fun to be around. Good time.

As I have mentioned before, one of the reasons Pattaya is such a great place is the variety of places to meet different preferences.

Guest xiandarkthorne

Most Bangkok bars - 45 minutes tops (and that's if I don't see anybody I want to off - if I do, it's off and go immediately)

Tawan - as long as those big boys keep flashing their flashlights (or until I've made my selection, whichever comes first)

Pattaya bars - as long as my friends are around to chat and if they're not around, only as long as it takes me to choose that evening's delight.

As one poster on GB's board said of me, I'm consumed by sex and I don't go to bars to drink by myself or with a boy. With friends, yes, because I enjoy the company - the lights, dance area, non-smokers and noise I could care less about.

There was a similar topic on SGT: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/why-did-you-leave-t27259.html

My reply there:

If indecisive (where to go next, what to do the rest of the night, to off or not to off a boy from this bar) I rather stay longer than planned. Only if I smell cigarette smoke I will leave quicker.

But, I am very curious how long most members here sit in the average gogo bar. How long do you stay? What makes you stay? What makes you leave? What makes a bar good for you? Do you enjoy the shows?

If a bar has far less than 10 boys, I get an overview from the door ("Come in Sir, have a look first") and if none is my type, I leave. Otherwise, I enter, order a drink and stay about 30 min to 1 h. Generally you can say the more boys, the longer I stay (but only one drink per bar). If I see a boy I like, I invite him and take him off or make a note to come back for him (maybe).

If there is nobody I like, I leave or ponder what to do and where to go next. Sometimes I try to get a look at one boy from the back or from the side which can mean I have to wait until he turns around. I generally do not enjoy shows and plan my visits to be before or after the show. Only exception is X-Boys Pattaya, I like their show.

I prefer bars without smokers, no loud music, some white light (I love Thai complexion, but with colored light and too little light you can't see it).

I prefer bars without smokers, no loud music, some white light (I love Thai complexion, but with colored light and too little light you can't see it).

I agree with all of these. I do think there are a few bars on Pattaya that meet these requirements. It is harder to find in Bangkok as some of the bars have such loud music I can't even hear myself think.

I like to be above to have a conversation with someone if I am there with them or if I have a boy sit with me without me yelling or loosing my voice.

Guest thaiworthy

I want to meet a boy who has crooked teeth or not, lots of tattoos or not, bad complexion, good complexion, circumcised or uncircumcised, in any shade or color of light, without or without cigarette breath or an introduction with loud music. As long as he has a nice smile, good heart and treats me well.

if I can get those last three attributes, the rest don't matter to me. With those three attributes, I will spend an indeterminate amount of time in a bar.

My apologies for resurrecting old thread but we are kind of quiet lately

As long as I'm concerned there are 3 kinds of bars-host bars, go-go with show and without.

Host bars - easy , I do not frequent them at all although I suspect I'm missing something but not my scene.

Go-go without show, if I enter,  always order beer. If see boy I'm interested in and he shows he may be interested in me I call him over or ask mamasan to bring him, ask him if he will go with me, he says yes , by time he gets dressed my beer will be finished and off we go. I don't buy him a drink but on our way home always ask if he is hungry and feed him whenever he wants.

If no boy takes my fancy which happened may be twice only than I finished beer fast and left in order not to torment myself and boys.

Go-go with show, as I usually enjoy not as much shows itself but rather boys performing I always plan to attend full length entering bar  may be 10 minutes before scheduled start.

If I have already boy in tow which is often a case as I prefer massage boys over go-gos we will stay full length of show. I will treat him and myself with one drink each, if he wants another one I'll tell him that it's too expensive and I rather spend money on him that his drink, always appreciated.

I will tip 100 baht one big cock performer & fuck show performers if they will be soliciting audience. On departure almost right after the show will tip another 100 baht one boy from the stage who took my or my boy fancy / I ask boy only if I'm undecided /.

If I don't have boy with me almost always invite one of boys from the stage to sit with me , rest tipping liturgy is the same , boy companion will get 100-200 depending on my mood and length of time he spent with me.

If at any point I decide to off my companion than I will not tip him for time spent in bar.

At times I enter bar with sole intention of offing particular boy- if he is in the attendance I don't bother with any drinks , sitting etc, just motion to come , question if he wants to go with me and off we go. Usually this is a case when I offed this boy before or he was my sitting companion previously.

So my answer to original question will be as long as it takes to watch  the show or to finish my drink, whatever is longer.

Despite quitting smoking in grade 5 smoke, noise, smells and light  don't bother me at all likely because I do not spent  much time in bars anyways.

I rotate BKK bars and rarely visit bar more than once per trip unless I 'm hunting for particular boy which may be thing of the past and recently all this hunting for a prince did not work for me at all.

I liked Moses response format - so I will use it for mine (thanks Moses)

My turn-off for bars from hi to low:

- empty stage (leave immediately)
- pushy staff (leave after 5 to 10 minutes) if I cannot get them to stop their undesired behaviour

- drink and or service is bad (leave within 2 minutes after the drink arrives)

- no cute guys (leave after finishing 1st drink - 15 minutes)

- not being able to get the guy that I want down off of the stage sitting next to me (leave in 16-17 minutes)

- guy is not into what I am searching for (leave in 18 minutes)

- guy does not want to help me select the 2nd guy for us to play together with (leave in 20 minutes) - only applies if I want to off more than 1 guy

During my recent trips I have spent a lot less time in Pattaya gogo bars than I did when I made my first visits seven or eight years ago. Then I stayed and circulated a lot in Sunee, where there was a greater number of bars than now, such as Euroboys and Kaos. This is partly due to the advent of Gayromeo, in many ways a more convenient way of acquiring a boy.

I don't enter a gogo bar for conversation, as usually this is impossible due to loud music and my poor hearing, and painfully loud music would encourage me to leave after only one drink. The attractiveness of the boys of course is the major factor and a few cute ones always encourages me to stay, but it frustrates me when I find them occupied with other customers or when one I have picked out vanishes when he finishes his dance, instead of sitting with me.

I find a difficult decision in a bar early about 9 pm is when you see an attractive boy you think about offing longtime for the night. But I wouldn't want to return to my room at that time and also I wouldn't want his company until then. But failure to off could result him going with someone else.

I visit host bars more in the early evening particularly in Jomtien where the Bamboo Bar is a favourite of mine. The boys there can actually converse and the music is at a pleasant level.

Sort of agree with much of the above. I visit GoGo Bars much less and use GayRomeo and Jack'd much more.

Usually I visit the GoGo Bars early and frequently will decide to off a boy but pay the off fee and either pick him up later or have him meet me at apartment.

I have never had a no show this way and find it allows me either to bar hop without having a boy in tow and also makes sure the boy will not be there when I return.

On average I spend 30 minutes in bar. If I am indecisive, it might be 1 to 2 hours.

I am not interested in show, so I try to arrive 30 minutes before show, if I am indecisive there is at least the show to look at in case I stay longer. But I do not go to bars for shows or enter during showtime.

Less than 10 boys on stage, I don't enter at all unless one of them appeals to me. More than 10 boys, I need more time than looking through the door, so I order a drink. By the time the drink arrives, I have checked all boys out and could technically leave (with or without boy), but now that I've paid for the drink I can as well drink it and see if there are hidden gems. In my experience, for 2 boys on stage there is one more somewhere else inside or outside the bar who will appear later, e.g. if there are 10 boys on stage there are 5 more somewhere around.

I use ear plugs to protect my ears from loud music, sometimes ask staff to lower the music. There is not much I can do about smoking. Sometimes I use loud music or smoking as an excuse to leave (without ordering a drink; the real reason is low number of boys).