TotallyOz

Line and Whatsapp

LINE is very good actually as not only does it let you literally voice chat live and call and chat to your friend for free (as a VIOP call) but you can also send and receive live text chat and it also allows you to sends pictures, videos, audio files, your location info and also your profile info all with the click of one button.

The other person and you both have to have the App on your device and then you can do a search for the other persons user name or if they are with you just shake you phones beside esch orther snd it auto transfers your contact info (not iphones strangely which is why many boys claim to have Samsung phones - and not because they are just cheaper :-) you can use transfer info via a QR bar code scanner / reader which like the shaking thing is a good way of getting someone's contact details of you are in a busy club or bsr without having to shout in each others ear, then once added you can use all of the above services all for free.

WHAT'S APP is basically the same but the chat runs a bit smoother and you can also send video/ pictures etc in it, but you simply add people by searching their phone number and if they have the App it comes up asking do you want to add them, hence line you may not want to use as it means giving the guy your actual real phine number whereas line is just a user name, but both are very popular with Thai guys and are a great free way of keeping in touch with Thai friends for free should you wish to.

Guest snwbrdr015

I saw the use of Line a lot in the Thai series 'Hormones'. It looks like WhatsApp en Thai youth loves it. It is pretty Asian aimed, with the Hello Kitty styled emoticons. Probably a nice app to use in Thailand to keep your BF's dujour and 'normal' contacts separated, as atri66t states. Good tip!

I have used Line for about two months (since I got my new phone) and it is very convenient. Cheaper than SMS (you are charged by data volume, not per message), easier to read (messages are displayed like in an online chat).

You will need a smartphone and a SIM for data (you probably already have if you use grindr). You just register (there should be an app installed already, it was on my phone) and can start. Highly recommended!

I was at my gym today and in for a swim. I met a guy that I had heard about in the past but never met. His family got into the Bangkok Real Estate building long ago. He is at least 60 and I really enjoyed chatting with him about Thailand and life. I was surprised when he said he wanted to keep in touch and then said, "Do you have Line ID"?

It is the first time someone really surprised me. I thought we would exchange business cards but instead, he wanted my line info. Perhaps it was because we were in the swimming pool and almost naked and he didn't have a business card on him but it did make me realize how much this is used in Thailand.

I guess I am really far behind on this trend.

Guest Promsak

You will need a smartphone and a SIM for data  

You will not need a SIM for data. Your smartphone will have wifi -- just login to the free WiFi from most bars or restaurants. 

Most Thais will not have heard of Whatsapp  ----  only LINE.

The big disadvantage of LINE is that it will not save your saved messages when you change phones (it will however, save your contacts).

You can link it to your LINE account on your PC.

The big disadvantage of LINE is that it will not save your saved messages when you change phones (it will however, save your contacts).

this is no longer true, the latest version of Line (at least Android, i'd assume IOS version is the same) allows to back up the complete chat history, meaning bulk backup and not individual chat-by-chat backup done manually (as it was before)

Guest Promsak

this is no longer true, the latest version of Line (at least Android, i'd assume IOS version is the same) allows to back up the complete chat history, meaning bulk backup and not individual chat-by-chat backup done manually (as it was before)

Thanks Anddy -- that's good news.

Thanks Anddy -- that's good news.

yes it is, you're welcome :) 

though I don't know if Line does it automatically (and if so in what intervals?) or if you have to do it manually if and when you want it.

In whatsapp one can set it to auto-backup and also define the frequency. 

You will not need a SIM for data. Your smartphone will have wifi -- just login to the free WiFi from most bars or restaurants.

Depends on your lifestyle. If you are sedentary, you can log into some businesses WiFi if you are customer there, but I'm usually on the move, and need SIM for data connection.

I will always depends on sim data when i travel alone, simply to save time finding places using google map instead of wandering and asking people. Mighty useful in places where u cant save offline maps from google like japan. I also like to use public transport and a quick google search will help a lot in this topic as well.

I think Line's better for dealing with bar boys, since:

1   I don't have to give them my phone number.  

2   In the rare cases where it's necessary, I can more robustly block them than with a phone number.

3   Messages come out of my very large data allowance (or wifi), not charge per SMS.

4  Line is independent of the SIM card, so if I return to the UK & then go back to Thailand with a new SIM card, Line contacts remain there the whole time.  Sometimes that's an advantage, sometimes it's a disadvantage.

finding places using google map instead of wandering and asking people.....

I also like to use public transport and a quick google search will help a lot in this topic as well.

this is how we  discover places, by wandering around and talking to people, some of them flirty and cute, instead of being blindly led by the software,  glued to the screen

with BKK public transit quick search  often will not translate to quick movement but I agree , finding nearest BTS or MRT station may be priceless if stuck in traffic. 

Make sure you backup your Line chats. I lost all my contacts recently. I registered when Line first started with a Thai phone number. I changed to a new Thai number later but my Line was still registered with the original Thai phone number. Earlier this year i recieved a brief message from Line which i overlooked and the next day all my contacts disappeared from Line. I contacted Line customer service and someone else had finally registered with Line using my original Thai number. It took six years for someone to use my recycled Thai number. My contacts were not recovered.

I suggest regular backups of Line chats and anyone who is really important get their Facebook, Whatsapp and email contact details just in case there are problems with Line.