TotallyOz

Deep Lines at Immigration Last night

I got into Thailand last night on a flight from Dubai and the airport lines were packed.  I did fly Business Class and got a free bypass to the Premium Lane but that was still packed and took over 30 minutes.  I know, that is not a bad wait time for most countries but for here and the Premium Lane, it was the slowest I have seen in a while.  The airport both inside and outside was packed. 

The immigration officer said that this weekend was supposed to be the busiest of the year for incoming tourists.  It sure looked like it.

My recent arrival was fine, although I always walk from the plane at a very fast pace on the presumption that my fellow passengers are adding to the queue. Seeing another plane unload is a reason for finding more pace too.

The queue often tends to double in length afer I join it.

Guest anonone

I am with z909.  The faster the walk the better.  In my mind, every person that I pass when walking to immigration is just one less person I will have in the line in front of me. 

after such a long flight i really don´t care how much I wait in line - i´m happy that i don´t need to sit any longer ;-). And i use he waiting time to look in the beautiful faces of the asian Boys in the surrounding - after the arriving in Bangkok I´m just happy to be back in LOS! And I´m in vacation - really no need to hurry.

I arrived around 3:45 on the 21st and there we're long lines at Immigration. But they've lifted their game and the line was moving continuously and I was through in about 20 minutes. It took exactly 1 hour from when we landed to when I arrived at the hotel.

I always try to be the first off the plane and literally run to Immigration to miss the lines, but if 3 or 4 aircraft land at the same time, there's nothing much you can do about that.

I just wonder where all the tourists I saw at the airport are hanging out. Last night Soi Twilight was deserted around 10:30. Hotmale was also empty when I arrived but more customers came in for the show. Still, there were heaps of empty seats.

BTW I didn't spot a single Chinese tourist at the airport. Have they all been frightened away? Mind you, I'm heading up to Chiang Mai for New Year - there's no way I'd be standing anywhere near Central World on NY eve. I go to CW or Siam Paragon every night for dinner and don't feel safe. The security guards don't bother checking people's bags; they're too busy checking their phones.

Maybe the Chinese have the right idea and are holidaying elsewhere this year.

You"re constantly on airplanes and you don't feel safe in malls????   There is a better chance in this world of getting killed crossing the street then by a terrorist. Certainly a much better chance being killed in a car between Bangkok and Pattaya.

Sick of this BS in the USA about people being scared. Record number of people shopping, on planes, at sporting events, eating out.

The only people scared are the politicians who worry they can't use their disgusting scare tactic to obtain votes.

Maybe the Chinese have the right idea and are holidaying elsewhere this year.

Not at all, there are record numbers of Chinese tourists in Bangkok right now, and I'd have to say they are all over town. I always tend to run into a bunch of them at my local 7/11, last time a Thai friend went there he was offered a yuan exchange deal he couldn't resist. ;) Keep your eyes open, sooner or later you're bound to see some.

Aren't you glad that our visits this year helped Thailand to get a record amount of visitors?

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/25/breaking-records-30-million-visited-thailand-year

I sure would have taken the free round trip with hotel offered by Thai Airway to go back another time!

http://www.traveldailynews.asia/news/article/60468/thailand-fetes-record-29-millionth

In one of the British newspapers recently there was a quiz where one question was to pair up countries with a list of tourist visitors they received. I haven't saved it but I recall that Thailand was in third place behind USA (120 million) and France (85 million). Thailand was ahead of UK and Australia.

Alexx, you're right. I saw quite a few in Soi Twilight tonight- Freshboys, to be exact. But nowhere near as many as on previous visits. And I've yet to see many in Siam Paragon. Normally they are lined up outside Louis Vuitton, but not this time.

Firecat, my feeling unsafe is based on :

A) the reports of 10 Syrians who slipped into Thailand and whose whereabouts are, as yet, unknown.

B) the previous bomb that exploded outside Siam Paragon

C) the general increase in terror attacks this year

D) the bombing of Erawan Shrine

It's not a general fear of being a victim of terrorism. Bangkok has been specifically targeted before. I would not have that same fear if I was, say, in Germany or Italy.

And I certainly do not trust the authorities here to keep Bangkok safe.

Have you not seen all those policemen sitting outside the Erawan Shrine engrossed in their mobile phones?

Have you not seen the security guards In the shopping malls just letting people enter without any checks?

Have you not seen the lack of security at the BTS stations, where the security desk is unmanned?

It's a joke. Merely windows-dressing.

As for the safety of aircraft, I feel safer there than anywhere else. And as far as getting involved in a traffic accident on the way to Pattaya, you're missing the point. It would be an "accident," not the result of someone purposely crashing into my car.

"You"re constantly on airplanes and you don't feel safe in malls????"

The security measures taken at airports is way and above any such measures in any shopping mall.

Really maybe some places the airports do a good job, certainly not Thailand which you are flying in and out.  Airports are all window dressing. USA spends tens of Billions $ on airport security and the last undercover test they failed 87% of the time.

The people who put on the food and booze etc have minimal screening before hiring and almost none after.

How come you didn't add Paris to where you would feel safe, oh thats right they got attacked.  So will Germany , there is no doubt just a matter of time  

The only almost completely safe place in the world would be departing  BenGurion Airport in Israel.

Trains in HongKong , KL etc , no policeman that I have seen. No where in Europe is safe..

Bottom Line I don't care .  The odds are still minuscule of me encountering any of those problems.  I have not and will not change one thing that I do because of some perceived threat by stupid politicians and media.

a447a I understand that I don't think the police in BKK will keep us safe from anything that will happen. But, I don't see this place as a major target.  I think the bombing was a one off thing and doubt anything major will happen. But, you are right, you just never know.  I feel safe when in Thailand but I do so not because of anyone making me feel safe but just the sense that I get.  My hotel is right near where the bombing occurred and I have no worry walking by it every day or going in that or any other area.

I do feel safe in USA as well. But, I was in New York 911 and I moved out of there 1 year later so I guess I didn't feel as safe as I did before that happened.

Just visited 3 out of the 4 strips bars of Montreal last night and I can confirm that Montreal still has the BEST Nude Strip Bars in the World !!!

And their "contact dances" in those little room can get really "contacty" now with some of the guys !!

You would have to try it again Firecat!

Not to be a spoiled sport, but just what does this have to do with long lines at Immigration in Thailand?  Unfortunately some of the topics on this forum just go on and on for no reason at all.

I don't think it was that far off target until the last 3 posts including yours. HeHe

It was about arrivals at BKK that morphed into number of visitors and safety both in air travel and and travel generally in this time of fear. (Not Me)

I suppose I could have sent Michael a PM  instead of posting it but this is not a very busy time for any Boards so anything that keeps posts coming is ok with me, even if off topic.