TotallyOz

The Malls of Bangkok - Gay Paradise

I have traveled a lot over the years, but I love the malls in Bangkok more than anywhere.  I am not sure if it is the vast variety of things they offer or just the sexy Thai guys that smile when you walk by but I do love shopping in Thailand and the malls are divine.

I found some great bags yesterday at Siam Paragon and had dinner downstairs.  Lovely food and great place. 

Did I mention sexy Thai guys around every corner?

I am not a big fan of Siam Paragon. International brands are over priced due to import tax, some goods charged 2-3 times more expensive than in other countries.

I prefer local malls or malls that selling locally produced goods.

I have never seen smiling sexy Thai guy at Siam Paragon.

All I see is sea of Chinese/ Asian tourists.

Perhaps I should change prescription of my contact lenses.

not a single mall stepped in during my last trip, I prefer street markets and even found new love for a Chatuchak.

But to be honest to myself it was not that hot- my main reason to visit mall in Bkk is to get some A/C

As for eye candy - it's everywhere, for me main eye feasting places are BTS and MRT 

I was just in Central Plaza and the hottest gay boy I have seen in a while was there (with his very young farang BF who was about 20).  It was obvious this might be a freebie but I stared anyway and I smiled and I smiled. LOL

I got up from the Dim Sum Restaurant to go to the bathroom and when done, the boy was there without the young farang.  He said, "here is my number. call me." 

I was touched that he was so attracted to me that he was willing to go with me.  Or, perhaps he was just looking for a client to pay for his free night off work?  In any case, I'll use the number. 

Yes, Jacked was busy and so was Grindr.  I have yet to use hornet. 

But, yes, the malls are delicious eye candy and many gay guys hand in hand.  I love it!

The BKK shopping centres are pleasant due to both their uncrowded floors and the cute Asian guys walking around.

As for the BTS, well it's only 2 stops from Sala Daeng to Saim Square. For that distance, I could even accept standing on the roof if it were necessary.

I think Hornet (Whorenet?) is the busiest of them all.

That has been my impression recently, too. Their app used to be really crappy despite having some promising features; I actually uninstalled it after a while because it just kept crashing. When I installed it again later, WOW! So many guys I had never seen on Grindr or any of the other apps... it's really busy now and the app is working extremely well (no crashes anymore).

The thing I love about Paragon is how ridiculous it is. A Rolls-Royce dealer, Aston Martin dealer, etc right in the mall! I don't know how any Thai can afford a car given the prices and I presume taxes. Unless they only apply to imports or luxury cars...but a BMW is at least 2x or 3x more than it would be in the USA, for example.

And while there is a lot of eye candy everywhere you go, this latest trend all across SE Asia for young men to sport these pubescent boy "mustaches" really need to end. I just don't understand the appeal, because it certainly doesn't appeal to me.

Amazing that some visitors just don't understand there is a very wealthy class of Thais who buy expensive cars, condos , go out to the best restaurants etc.  There is even a rapidly growing middle class that supports high prices at places like Starbucks. 

Do you really think all the customers in nice restaurants and Starbucks etc are tourists. They are not!!

Never said that I didn't think there was a class of wealthy Thais buying these things. Not sure there are really THAT many who are buying R-Rs or Aston's at the mall though. Although I just did a bit of research and see that a Honda City, for example, only costs around US$16K which is comparable or less than in the USA. Of course the median income here is a lot lower even with that middle class. A 3-series BMW is $75K which is a bit less than 2x in the USA. A MINI Cooper is US$60K! My point was that these luxury cars and European imports are wildly expensive. 

Those same cars are wildly expensive for most Westerners and certainly too much for me.  But even if 1/10 of 1% of the Thai Population could afford those cars that is still 65,000 people.  Since most of the wealthy live in Bangkok I guess a dealership in one of the Top Malls could do some business.

Flagship stores are often subsidized by the brand owners anyway, because it's an effective form of marketing. It probably doesn't even matter how many cars the outlets at Paragon can sell directly. Countless people walk past, take selfies and post them. The stores appear on Thai TV all the time, often with local celebrities posing in front of the cars. That all adds to the visibility of the brand.

What ultimately counts is that Thailand is an attractive market for luxury car makers, so having these stores doesn't look like an outrageous marketing expense to me. It's also right on target at Paragon, looking at the cars you see in their parking garage - all owned by Paragon customers.