numazu

Bangkok/Phnom Penh/Siem Reap Trip Report: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Trip Report with less sex?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do a trip report for Cambodia and Thailand that has less sex?

So...Hot boy told me he would only top that night and I said I needed a bit more. At least he was honest. I went back the next night and he saw me walk in and came right over. He sat with me and we had a drink. He asked if I wanted to take him with me . I said I did, but I wanted more than just a top. Actually I didn't want the top part at all. I'm not that demanding at this point in my life, but I want a little fun if I take a boy. Turns out he hadn't been feeling well for a couple of days and was topping only.

I went back a week later, but he was visiting family and I was heading back to the US. I'll be back next weekend and see if he is still around.

That was another epic series of trip reports that was well worth the time spent reading. And I'm sure writing them took much more time, thanks a lot!

I, too, am looking forward to your Burma report, numazu, I'm sure you will have an amazing time there. I'm not that sure that BurBoy will find what he's hoping to find returning to Burma, but I guess time will tell.

I am new here and came across this post and I really thank numazu for the detailed writeup which is educational with a lot of useful information. I am making my first trip to Siem Reap and Bangkok soon next week and i find the information extremely useful. This trip was mainly to fulfill one of my lifelong dreams of seeing Angkor temples and also Ayutthaya.  Reading some of these makes me want to make another trip to enjoy some boys !!!!

Guest Jason105

With so much going on here in the US, it was a welcome relief to read about your adventures.

Once again, your keen insights into the human condition and your great storytelling make your reports extra special.

Reading your adventures makes me long for the time when I can plan my next trip to LOS.

Hopefully, the heart connections you made will tide you over until December.

Thanks for all the work of preparing, editing and posting....greatly appreciated.

All the best

Numazu,

Of course we are interested, well at least I am, in your stories on Myramar. Even if it contains less night activities, your reports are great all over and we get a lot of information out of it.

Myra mar sound a nice place to go, your report could only want us to go check it out ourself. Lol.

So keep on writing ya....

@numazu: I'm definitely interested in your upcoming Myanmar trip. I've been a few times myself, but I haven't had much time for touristy activities. That's why I plan another visit in spring, just for fun this time, so getting some additional ideas from your report would come just at the right time for me.

Is there really an interest in me writing about Myanmar? I'd like to hear about what you guys have to say about this. It will be significantly low on sex and gay stuff, at least the Myanmar part of it. 

Yes it is, you are underestimating us . While sex filled reports are interesting and sought after,  regular trip reports are welcomed all the same as they help many to get an idea about their next holidays in the region.

So write travel report and sex part will show up in it ion due course , after all you will be visiting monasteries , not settling in them.

When in Mandalay are make sure you take a boat up the mighty river to Mingun , small  village claiming to have world biggest bell and world biggest pile of bricks -unnfinished stupa, you will see it standing on banks in Mandalay.

Baloon flight over Bagan  while costly is a must , I took morning one and to this day I regret i did not take also one in the evening.

Numaza thanks for your final report of your last trip.

It is my opinion you do yourself a major injustice, the balance you achieve in your writing is perfect, I find the balance between trip reports and your loving portrayal of your guys and their lives to be really interesting (although I do sometimes wonder if your partner in the US is tempted to read the reports and if he finds it easy to separate your holiday guys from your love at home).

December 2017 I have a straight friend and his wife from the UK planning to spend their second two week holiday with me and my partner in Thailand. The first time we did Bangkok, Siem Reap and a few days at my home in rural Isaan, they are not beach people and I have thought about suggesting spending time in Myanmar so I am eagerly waiting for your next series of trip reports.

Belated best wishes for Thanksgiving and the year ahead.

Numazu -

I'm in recovery mode.  A post Thanksgiving and post your reports recovery.  I'm grateful for experiencing both.  I just booked a January trip that will take me to Pattaya, then Siem Reap, before finishing up in Bangkok.  I added the Siem Reap stop after reading your report and I hope the Thai Tourist Board gives you credit.  Thanks, too, for the updates on CB, DTG, and BurBoy. Your prose made them come to life for your readers (o.k., at least for me).  

So sweet to read updates on CB, DTG and BurBoy. A bit like a ending of a film.

Yes it is, you are underestimating us . While sex filled reports are interesting and sought after,  regular trip reports are welcomed all the same as they help many to get an idea about their next holidays in the region.

Thanks, too, for the updates on CB, DTG, and BurBoy. Your prose made them come to life for your readers (o.k., at least for me).  

Wholeheartedly agree with above statements. Not only provide you reports great factual info relevant to any keen traveller, they give live info on the gay perspective you can't get just from reading gay travel websites. Yes they have spicy sex in them, but also a lot of romance which make them all the more enthralling to me. As has been said a few times elsewhere about your reports, they are like reading a good book - only better as they are real stores with your characters not only coming to life for the reader (as ggobkk correctly remarks) but being in fact alive, real people. Will be eager to get addicted to the next season of the numazu travel series (and possibly starring in it as well in a minor supporting role haha).

Went to myanmar, not really a place id go again. Granted i only go to yangon, not bagan or mandalay.

I would have to disagree with this, having visited Burma myself, although that was an incredible (almost) 11 years ago in Jan 2006, so I don't know what Yangon is like today. Back then it was still pretty sleepy and charming, so that has probably changed dramatically. However, the attractions of Mandalay, Bagan, Lake Inle, will surely be just as beautiful and fascinating as they were then. Looking forward to a fresh view on all these places from the vivid writings of numazu :)

I've really enjoyed visiting Myanmar.  Highly recommend it and look forward to reading about your trip.  If you have the time Inle Lake really is a great place to relax.

Note that the Burmese are a fairly conservative society so when you're on your cultural tourism activities long pants rather than tourist shorts are a good and respectful idea.  Many temple complexes won't let someone in wearing shorts (same but not as extreme as BKK Grand Palace).  

A pre-dawn walk up Mandalay Hill to catch the sunrise can be magical, if that's your thing.

I found people out in the countryside very much appreciated when I wore a traditional Longyi.  Something to consider if your comfortable doing so.  

Laquerware and textiles can be good locally-sourced purchases.

Although any trip report can of course benefit from the occasional dramatic episodes, I hope you clue in your Burmese friend sooner rather than later about your boyfriend situation , , , , 

As always, enjoyed this report and look forward to future reports.

Went to myanmar, not really a place id go again. Granted i only go to yangon, not bagan or mandalay.

Bagan was really special and a is a great place to spend a few days. Riding around from temple to temple on an electric scooter in the daytime was a delight. In the evening, at least there are plenty of restaurants serving food. Hardly any massage services or anything like that though.

Mandalay was a more mixed bag. The sights are worth it, as was cycling around the town. There was even a few of gay massage places.

What it is missing is decent coffee shops and a choice of nice restaurants. In that respect, it's behind where Cambodia was 10 years ago.

A smart entrepreneur might try opening a coffee shop in Mandalay or massage places in Bagan.

I'm going to do Yangon sometime, but it's not top of my list.

Bagan was really special and a is a great place to spend a few days. Riding around from temple to temple on an electric scooter in the daytime was a delight.

OMG, what a difference! The mode of transport in Bagan in 2006 was this (my own picture):

post-11689-0-22204900-1480170623_thumb.jpg

OMG, what a difference! The mode of transport in Bagan in 2006 was this (my own picture):

r7_8.jpg

See, this is charming indeed, what i see in yangon were the opposite of charming, there are high builidings in patches, traffic (not really because too many car but rather very ineffienct traffic light and traffic system as well as drivers attitude, dirty roads, people crossing big highways and actually walked in the middle of the road as if its their road, spitting the red leaves they chew on the road (in malay we called it sirih). I could go on and on about the negatives, but i didnt get to experience the countryside and the tourists area like inle/mandalay/bagan which i believed will definitely counter the neg in yangon. That being said, yangon temples are beautiful. Let me rephrase, id never go back to yangon but wouldnt reject the other areas of myanmar :) myanmar now reminds me of ho chi minh 10 years ago. I went there not as tourist though, went to visit my relatives who worked there. Even my relatives rental house, where its really at a really high class neighbourhood, the road are narrow and needs a lot of repair.

Temples of Bagan are very good for bicycling around. I still after all those years remember magnificent Ananda , Dhamayazika, Thamayangi temples and river and ruins view from Mingala Zedi

If  one has time, trip to Mt. Popa with it's temple on the top of mountain is a must IMNSHO, hire taxi as it is quite a distance from Bagan

OMG, what a difference! The mode of transport in Bagan in 2006 was this

I had already tried the horse & cart in Inwa, near Mandalay. That was sufficient experience for that mode of transport, with an unhelpful driver. For example, lying about the time of the last ferry just because he wanted to finish what was just a mid afternoon visit. And other offences. Thankfully the taxi driver who drove me around for the rest of the day was much better.

With the electric scooter in Bagan, I have the freedom to steer towards whatever looks interesting & can take lunch wherever I choose. It just added to the experience.

OMG, what a difference! The mode of transport in Bagan in 2006 was this

I had already tried the horse & cart in Inwa, near Mandalay. That was sufficient experience for that mode of transport, with an unhelpful driver. For example, lying about the time of the last ferry just because he wanted to finish what was just a mid afternoon visit. And other offences. Thankfully the taxi driver who drove me around for the rest of the day was much better.

With the electric scooter in Bagan, I have the freedom to steer towards whatever looks interesting & can take lunch wherever I choose. It just added to the experience.