numazu

Bangkok/Phnom Penh/Siem Reap Trip Report: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Trip Report with less sex?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do a trip report for Cambodia and Thailand that has less sex?

while the "official" mourning period may be 1 year, that just means that (a) they will wait that long until the royal cremation at Sanam Luang will take place and (b) that government employees are requested or required to wear only black/white for that period.

As for the general public, people are asked to, and presumably will, wear black/white for 30 days. The national flag at government buildings will be half-mast for (only) 30 days as well. Entertainment is asked to be "toned down" for 30 days as well, whatever that means, but it obviously does not imply a ban entailing closure of bars etc., as evidenced by bars and even some night clubs (such as G.O.D.) being open last night. Silom Soi 4 looked open tonight, too, but only saw it from the opposite side tonight.

Guest ronnie4you

This is my first read of this thread. I like the well-written stories. I like the use of white space to make the lines more readable. I hate that the writer feels he must lie to the boy of whom he speaks so well. We find these wonderful guys yet cannot resist squeezing in another wonderful guy, but we don't want the main guy to know of our disloyalty.

Yes, I've been there. I am usually pretty open about being a butterfly, but I can see the dilemmas that pop up. Most of the time we have no idea if the wonderful guy is squeezing one in too, but it likely happens at times. (Not here, of course.)

I left Bangkok the day before the King's passing was announced. I'm in Laos and the Thai television channels have been wall to wall mourning.

Numazu the mourning period is 30 days for things in general. The government wears back for a year. Then grand funeral. Suggest if you pause posting only for 30 day period. That will bring some relief post US election.

Thanks for the mention of our meet up in your report.

I go back to Bangkok for two nights as of Tuesday...then home. I will also follow your lead and refrain for a month from posting a trip report guaranteed to be less interesting than yours.

Suggest if you pause posting only for 30 day period. 

I will also follow your lead and refrain for a month from posting a trip report guaranteed to be less interesting than yours.

I don't want to be disrespectful to you both and the memory of HM  but am I only one who thinks this is a bit overzealous ? 

While I do not have a personal connection to recent events (I grew up in the US), I've been talking to some Thai friends (free and money boys, living in Thailand or immigrated to the U.S., 19 to 60 years old) about their own thoughts about this. The reactions have varied from utter devastation to complete indifference, but the common thread is that (a) they, even the indifferent ones, have friends and family saddened by this loss and (b) they all feel that he was a good man and this is a huge loss for the country. 

The official mourning period is one year.

Heaven can wait.

I don't want to be disrespectful to you both and the memory of HM  but am I only one who thinks this is a bit overzealous ? 

Nope.

No you're not.

I think though no doubt well intentioned pausing posting as a mark of respect maybe confers way too much importance on what goes on here.

Maybe it is overzealous, maybe it isn't, but I want to balance my feelings of respect with my desire to continue sharing the stories right away (and move on to planning the next trip in two months). I am human after all. Thanks for being patient guys :).

Thanks for the mention of our meet up in your report.

I go back to Bangkok for two nights as of Tuesday...then home. I will also follow your lead and refrain for a month from posting a trip report guaranteed to be less interesting than yours.

ggobkk thanks for sharing. It must be interesting to be in Bangkok during this time. I won't wait a full month, maybe a week. We'll see how it goes. I agree that I will need relief after these elections. Its getting on my last nerve. I don't know how I can stand any more of this for another 3 weeks. Which leaves me more in awe of how Thailand seems to be united in mourning the passing of their beloved King. Its refreshing to see (even in such sad circumstances), especially compared to how divided our country currently is.

We will all be here waiting no matter how long it is before you post

But we can't?  Take whatever time you deem appropriate, Numazu.

Thanks for the patience :).

while the "official" mourning period may be 1 year, that just means that (a) they will wait that long until the royal cremation at Sanam Luang will take place and (b) that government employees are requested or required to wear only black/white for that period.

As for the general public, people are asked to, and presumably will, wear black/white for 30 days. The national flag at government buildings will be half-mast for (only) 30 days as well. Entertainment is asked to be "toned down" for 30 days as well, whatever that means, but it obviously does not imply a ban entailing closure of bars etc., as evidenced by bars and even some night clubs (such as G.O.D.) being open last night. Silom Soi 4 looked open tonight, too, but only saw it from the opposite side tonight.

Yup, this confirms what most of my friends are saying. I actually asked BurBoy (now working in BKK), CB (back working in Jomtien) and DTG (in BKK and has had an interesting change in his life) what they felt on The Day the King Died, and got some interesting responses. Maybe I'll share this with you someday. 

Maybe it is overzealous, maybe it isn't, but I want to balance my feelings of respect with my desire to continue sharing the stories right away (and move on to planning the next trip in two months). I am human after all. Thanks for being patient guys :).

Don't worry about, do what YOU consider appropriate in circumstances .

We will wait patiently for life to get back to normal

In Fossil's case, I'd say jealousy is the more likely reason than boredom for his silly little putdown.

But really, numazu, why care about it? You've received a record number of views from unregistered site visitors. They cannot comment, but the simple fact that they've kept coming back for more of your story should tell you all you need to know. As for us registered users who have commented on your reports, the overwhelming majority of these responses have been very positive (and rightly so, in my opinion). Please give that some thought and don't let the few negative responses discourage you.

Guest Jason105

Thanks so much.

You are a gifted writer and storyteller.

Your insights and observations always enhance the experience.

"Tomorrow, for most of us, we have to go back to our real lives and deal with a harsher and less forgiving world. But for a night, for a few hours, 300 of us get to be ourselves, or at least what we strive to be, and celebrate our love for each other."

Really good stuff!

All the best