TotallyOz

30 Day suspensions

I'm amused that someone would have cared enough about Neal's threats to actually change hotels. Wouldn't a better strategy to deal with that bully have been to completely ignore his blubbering?

You obviously didn't know Neal, nor were you aware of what he was capable of.

His threats were real, as others soon found out.

Numazu, I haven't noticed any regular members who are no longer posting on this board. And I don't know of any posters from here who are now posting on the other two boards. So who are you referring to??

Disagreements here are very mild compared to one of the other boards. And if things get out of hand here, members can be suspended until they cool down.

As for trolls "taking over the board", that's a ridiculous statement. On this board, the few trolls are quickly outed here and so are prevented from doing any harm.

And vinapu, as for newbies being put off, I can't find any evidence of that; on the contrary, this board is continually welcoming new members - members who don't just lurk, but actively contribute. Look how many have signed up just since the start of the year. This board is doing very well in attracting new members and they are injecting life and interest into the board. Nobody pounces on them. Nobody attacks them with nasty, childish comments. That's why they are still here contributing. And they will be here ready to take over after we oldies have disappeared from the stage. I think the future of this board is secure.

As for the lack of trip reports by others, perhaps it's because nobody is travelling at the moment.

Numazu, I don't believe you are "weak" - I get a feeling that I know exactly where you are coming from. Life is way to short to put up with mindless nastiness and criticism, especially when you have taken the considerable time and effort to write up a report. The naysayers are unaware of how long it takes. Sometimes when I was writing a report I'd think "Fuck it! I just want to sleep!"

My next "no holes barred" report will be coming up in June or July. But only if I know where to go. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Numazu, I haven't noticed any regular members who are no longer posting on this board. And I don't know of any posters from here who are now posting on the other two boards. So who are you referring to??

Disagreements here are very mild compared to one of the other boards. And if things get out of hand here, members can be suspended until they cool down.

The board is different things for different people obviously. The posters that I've followed through the years are probably not the same ones you do, hence the fact that you don't notice those posters gone. Not sure if they post in other boards. I don't want to call out their names, just that I know for a fact they don't come here as often or don't post as often anymore. Some are even very good friends on mine now, and we communicate on LINE and other media. I am not imagining this, as shown in the various opinions above by other people.

And vinapu, as for newbies being put off, I can't find any evidence of that; on the contrary, this board is continually welcoming new members - members who don't just lurk, but actively contribute. Look how many have signed up just since the start of the year. This board is doing very well in attracting new members and they are injecting life and interest into the board. Nobody pounces on them. Nobody attacks them with nasty, childish comments. That's why they are still here contributing. And they will be here ready to take over after we oldies have disappeared from the stage. I think the future of this board is secure.

Again, your mileage may vary. New members who have approached me through PM because they liked my reports have said they are too shy to post on the board for various reasons. I would like to think that it doesn't take an ironclad constitution to muster up the courage to post in the board. And I'm always glad if there are new members who post. New blood (and therefore new perspectives) is always good.

As for the lack of trip reports by others, perhaps it's because nobody is travelling at the moment.

Again, probably no one that you know. Many regular posters who have posted before have been traveling these past few months (including myself, and also I am in BKK this week) don't bother with the trip reports anymore, let alone posting. I saw and/or met some of them last trip. Which is a shame because I think their insight is needed more than ever now.

Numazu, I don't believe you are "weak" - I get a feeling that I know exactly where you are coming from. Life is way to short to put up with mindless nastiness and criticism, especially when you have taken the considerable time and effort to write up a report. The naysayers are unaware of how long it takes. Sometimes when I was writing a report I'd think "Fuck it! I just want to sleep!"

YES! As a fellow trip report writer, you know how it goes. And its more "Fuck it! I don't have time!" for me. BKK and Thailand are not the only places I regularly visit for boys. And the word "weak" was not first used by me.

My next "no holes barred" report will be coming up in June or July. But only if I know where to go. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Glad you're gonna post again about your trip! My next trip is August, and too bad we won't crossing paths, otherwise I'd buy you a beer.

I know how Christian looks like having been privileged to meet him many times. I was not trying to be sarcastic, just curious.

Yes, that's me in the mirror chamber. The mirrors are flat, so there is no distortion. But the shirt I'm wearing is a gift from a friend and it is rather wide, and the shorts I'm wearing are a gift from another friend, and they are 34 inches waist while I'm 32 inch waist, so I need a belt to pull them together, otherwise they would drop to my ankles. I did not consider this when I wore them to the airport, so after taking off the belt for security, I had to hold them with one hand so they don't drop down.

(I'm anti-consumerist. Most clothes I wear are from my mother - I don't mean I wear my mother's clothes, I mean my mother bought them for me -, gifts from friends or found.)

As for trolls "taking over the board", that's a ridiculous statement. On this board, the few trolls are quickly outed here and so are prevented from doing any harm.

And vinapu, as for newbies being put off, I can't find any evidence of that; on the contrary, this board is continually welcoming new members - members who don't just lurk, but actively contribute. Look how many have signed up just since the start of the year. This board is doing very well in attracting new members and they are injecting life and interest into the board. Nobody pounces on them. Nobody attacks them with nasty, childish comments.

a447a has raised some good points.  I joined because I thought this board was thriving. The turnover of posts on this board is quite fast and the front page rarely looks the same for long, unlike the other forums where they can remain quite static for days and weeks.  So who are these members who have now become shy of posting because of alleged trolling, resulting in a loss of "helpful, practical and usable information" (all subjective)?  If they had been substantial contributors who had made some kind of impact, their absence would be very noticeable and long-time members would be able to name them easily.    I'm no jet-setting world traveller who can afford to travel half way across the world four or five times a year but I stuck it out when I didn't exactly receive a warm welcome when I first joined.  You would think all that travel, hard partying and meeting all sorts of different people would result in a thicker skin and tolerance for all sorts of different personalities in real life, let alone anonymous characters on the Internet so I don't get this all this drama; to me, it doesn't match the man-about-town personas being described in the reports.

My impression is a lot more people enjoy these trip reports than those who don't as expressed verbally on the open forum, through 'likes' and via PM as repeatedly claimed.  If so, what's the problem then?  How much more encouragement is needed?

My next "no holes barred" report will be coming up in June or July.

"No holes spared" report you mean. ;)

You would think all that travel, hard partying and meeting all sorts of different people would result in a thicker skin and tolerance for all sorts of different personalities in real life, let alone anonymous characters on the Internet so I don't get this all this drama; to me, it doesn't match the personas being described in the reports.

I think that's the whole point right? In real life you can look people in the eye, connect in 3D, and learn from each other in a more satisfying level.  We can laugh and cry and share drinks and be silly. I don't get any trolls, annoying bickering or weird non-sequiturs (surprisingly, maybe I've been lucky).  So if I don't get that in real life, why would I want that here? I'll just log off and meet real people. 

In fact that's what I'll do now. If I can just bring my aircon everywhere. The month of May is a bitch near the equator.

And bonus points if anyone can tell where I am right now. Hint: its not quite a songthaew, but an equivalent:

post-16149-0-83803000-1494826211_thumb.jpg

(I'm anti-consumerist. Most clothes I wear are from my mother - I don't mean I wear my mother's clothes, I mean my mother bought them for me -, gifts from friends or found.)

It's OK, Norm.  We know a boy's best friend is his mother.  :lol:  Is that tote bag a hand-me-down from your mum too?

I think that's the whole point right? In real life you can look people in the eye, connect in 3D, and learn from each other in a more satisfying level.  We can laugh and cry and share drinks and be silly. I don't get any trolls, annoying bickering or weird non-sequiturs (surprisingly, maybe I've been lucky).  So if I don't get that in real life, why would I want that here? I'll just log off and meet real people.

Nice and that is indeed surprising.  I can't speak for others, but in my short life, I've met all sorts of people, some good, some not so good and each encounter, each experience goes into  my personal social skills repository that I can draw upon if need be to better manage subsequent encounters both virtual and real.  Upbringing and army training have helped too.  I don't have perfect encounters, the people I meet are not perfect and I'm not perfect.  Every experience is a learning one and I still have a lot of fun.  That is life.

And bonus points if anyone can tell where I am right now. Hint: its not quite a songthaew, but an equivalent:

Maybe it's a jeepney and you are in the Philippines? If I am right, I will use my bonus points towards future trip reports posted by you. ;)

Nice and that is indeed surprising.  I can't speak for others, but in my short life, I've met all sorts of people, some good, some not so good and each encounter, each experience goes into  my personal social skills repository that I can draw upon if need be to better manage subsequent encounters both virtual and real.  Upbringing and army training have helped too.  I don't have perfect encounters, the people I meet are not perfect and I'm not perfect.  Every experience is a learning one and I still have a lot of fun.  That is life.

I have no tolerance for unpleasant people in real life. I deal with them by simply walking away. Problem instantly solved.

In some situations, unfortunately, that isn't always possible; e.g. on a forum. Sometimes you just have to fight back, especially if the comments directed at you are particularly nasty or untrue.

It's OK, Norm.  We know a boy's best friend is his mother.  :lol:  Is that tote bag a hand-me-down from your mum too?

The bag I found in Bangkok. It was lying on the street and had been driven over by several cars or mocy already when I rescued it, and soon later it became my main bag. The watch I'm wearing is inherited from my grandfather. The only thing on my body that I personally selected and bought are my glasses (frames from 2001). Fascinating, from "30 day suspension" to a look into my clothes drawer! But I like these turns in threads.

For us who are not big spenders, wearing old clothes can be a natural.  Some may think that this is being cheap, but there is a much bigger blessing behind it.

Two pair of jeans I use casually everywhere are over 20 years old!

When I was half my age, my waist size was 32.  Today, my waist size is ... still 32.

While most of my contemporaries have developed big beer bellies, mine hasn't changed one bit.

I can look decent in any rugs, but they have problems trying to hide under new fancy clothes.

It takes discipline to stay in shape, but it is worth any effort.

If the concern trolls have won the day and have taken over the board, then it's not a mystery why those posters are now incognito and rarely even check the forum anymore. Those posters were the reason why I started contributing to this forum in the first place. At least you and Christian etc are still posting. If I was new to this board today I wouldn't be as inspired to be a regular contributor like I was. All I see now is a lot of circular BS.

I enjoy reading your reports and I hope you will continue with them.

But if I were a person full of negativity, a troll, or something like that,  I would immediately complain about the bitching over trolls who take over boards, scare off desirable posters,  etc.  One sees so much of this bitching recently, maybe in harmony with Scooby's change in rules.  Don't you see that the bitching over the "undesirables" is equally undesirable?

But be blessed in your freedom of opinion.  I am merely giving mine, and to my benefit I still see much positive here and not only circular BS.

. The only thing on my body that I personally selected and bought are my glasses (frames from 2001). Fascinating, from "30 day suspension" to a look into my clothes drawer! But I like these turns in threads.

I am afraid to ask, but what about your underwear or don't you wear any? I know you have a stocky of sexy undies for your boyz but what about yourself?

I am afraid to ask, but what about your underwear or don't you wear any? I know you have a stocky of sexy undies for your boyz but what about yourself?

Thanks kokopelli. I thought about asking the same but refrained from posting. ☺️

Two pair of jeans I use casually everywhere are over 20 years old!

When I was half my age, my waist size was 32.  Today, my waist size is ... still 32.

Do you wash your jeans? I read if not washed they last much longer?  Are they torn, ripped, holes, etc, which is the current fashion?

Same, same as you, my waist is the same now as it was half my age, 40W.

Do you wash your jeans? I read if not washed they last much longer?  Are they torn, ripped, holes, etc, which is the current fashion?

Same, same as you, my waist is the same now as it was half my age, 40W.

Good question.  I may wash them once a year. Since I was a child my clothes have no reasons to get dirty, and I use pants with underwear. I only wash them to have them fit tighter, haha.  They are good quality Levis 540 jeans and with 20 washes they are not ripped yet.  I have an older ripped pair I use to work on my cars, and several newer ones of different styles.

You also maintained your waist size, and this is good since you must feel comfortable this way. Bodies don't like to change...

I'm amused that someone would have cared enough about Neal's threats to actually change hotels. Wouldn't a better strategy to deal with that bully have been to completely ignore his blubbering?

Then if something was planted in his room and the police were waiting there for him, or if he was sitting at a table and a guy high on yabba whacks him with a pole after being paid 500 baht and it all happened under the shadow of Neal, the posts would be...  Hey!  Are you stupid?  The man (Neal) threatened you with harm and you don't have common sense enough to not go to a hotel where he has access to the keys or direct sight of you as you sit on the porch?

I had my fights with Neal.  He never threatened me, I think he simply wanted to try to beat me down online.  But still, I avoided him when in Pattaya.  He heavily invested in gossip and lies and was more than happy to use a little money to have other do his bidding.

Results of a totally unscientific effort aimed at determining how behavior of posters is affecting activity of normally active posters.

Method: I went back about 20 pages of posts on this forum that took me to a period of about one year ago.  I looked for high-activity posters who appeared to have significantly cut back--or outright stopped--their posting here.

What I found: there are 2-3 who decided for one reason or another to go relatively silent.  If their user names aren't apparent, you may not be paying close attention. One of those cats should be obvious to all.

Members stop posting for a variety of reasons: general loss of interest in Thailand in general or the board in particular; health-related issues; trolls; etc. As long as others arrive on scene to take up the slack, overall activity may not be affected.

The biggest downside of seeing regulars drop out is that we all lose the benefit of their contribution.

---

What I found: there are 2-3 who decided for one reason or another to go relatively silent.  If their user names aren't apparent, you may not be paying close attention. One of those cats should be obvious to all.

Members stop posting for a variety of reasons: general loss of interest in Thailand in general or the board in particular; health-related issues; trolls; etc. As long as others arrive on scene to take up the slack, overall activity may not be affected.

The biggest downside of seeing regulars drop out is that we all lose the benefit of their contribution.

I can think of one of the "cats" who hasn't been meowing here recently.  But my conscience is in peace, because he put me on "ignore" a while back so I cannot be the reason of his silence.

Do you know of any public forum in this world whose members do not come and go with some regulars dropping out and new regulars dropping in ?  Losing the benefits from the old ones and gaining the benefits of the new ones?