ggobkk

On my way...

IMHO there's no benefit in buying anything in Thailand, electrical goods especially ....

Sums it up nicely. Bangkok is a shopper's paradise because tourists are in a shopping mood and businesses are clever enough to cash in on that, not because of what's on offer.

On the subject of MBK, some weeks ago I went there to have my mobile phone fixed. There was a contact problem with the micro USB plug, and after trying several cables that all worked on other devices, I assumed the problem is in the phone. So I went there and was quoted a price of 800 Baht, which I accepted. Seems high, and I should have asked at other places to get a better price. Surprisingly, these mobile phone repair shops are mostly staffed by Indians (?) who speak good English.

Buying services in thailand is can be cheap, but goods tend to be pricy. When I was shopping at MBK, I had my Amazon app open and found Amazon to be about 40% cheaper for quality goods and ebay was 70% cheaper for China made goods that were being sold by the shop keepers in thailand. So I didn't do much shopping at all. But I did have a lot of things in my Amazon and eBay shopping cart to pay for when I got home.

Going to Thailand in order to shop on Amazon and eBay seems an excessive modern way to spent exotic vacations 

Just walking around the shops of Thailand you can often find things you would not know existed.  Using ebay and amazon lets me buy those things I never knew I needed without the hassle of packing them in my luggage and dragging them back home hoping nothing got damaged and praying I won't get hit with an excess baggage weight charge.

END of REPORT, but 

Some thanks: PaulSF, Numazu, and Vinapu (who’s name I tend to mis-spell when I type too quickly), without your encouragement in the Forum and in PMs, I’d not have written a report.  You guys reminded me of how much others’ reports helped me when I was starting back to Thailand after decades of being away and paying back with a report is a way to acknowledge and appreciate that.

Scooby, thanks, for bringing back/keeping order in the Forum and making it a friendly place.

Thanks, Moses for the support you give to the SiamRoads guides. 

And, thanks to you who have been reading my ramblings.

So long, farewell, until next time…

I have been really swamped the past few weeks and just found this thread in all its glory. It was so refreshing to read and with great detail and information.  Thank you for sharing it with us and I am looking forward to your next trip!

Just walking around the shops of Thailand you can often find things you would not know existed.  Using ebay and amazon lets me buy those things I never knew I needed without the hassle of packing them in my luggage and dragging them back home hoping nothing got damaged and praying I won't get hit with an excess baggage weight charge.

Add to this the quite liberal policy of Amazon for returned goods, and the countless customer reviews that make their site worth if nothing else to judge if a product is worth buying.

Going to Thailand in order to shop on Amazon and eBay seems an excessive modern way to spent exotic vacations 

"Excessive modern" ??  I cannot imagine what this means.  Every newspaper could be "excessive modern".

My 95 y.o. brother in law finds that everything is excessively modern.  But does this make sense?

Thailand is not a cheap country for shopping anymore I rarely buy something there .

great bargains in clothing  are still there but usually further away from  malls and streets tourist hordes congregate.

Busy types may use their vacation time do do shopping , bargains or not , since in 'normal' time they don't have much of an opportunity.

Internet shopping , specially for clothing and shoes is not for everybody  for the same reason apps aren't - some need to try wares before opening wallett

My 95 y.o. brother in law finds that everything is excessively modern.  But does this make sense?

perhaps him , like me is missing taste of pears and strawberries of his youth replaced by cheap and abundant but styrofoam tasting contemporaries 

perhaps him , like me is missing taste of pears and strawberries of his youth replaced by cheap and abundant but styrofoam tasting contemporaries 

Oh... it's much more than pears and strawberries.  It is this permissive society of today that has lost all sense of morality with same-sex marriage, with rampant divorce, with tolerance for criminals' lives, with taking away the dignity of the poor to fight to survive and instead giving them entitlements, etc. etc. and for a lack of respect for the elderly ...  oh! perhaps he is right in this last one?

Thailand is not a cheap country for shopping anymore I rarely buy something there .

I think that all depends on what you are looking for.  I like Cargo shorts and get them here for 200 baht each. To me, much cheaper than anything I can find in USA.  If you are looking for tailored clothes, it is not cheap. But, the place I use Tailor on Ten is amazing and the quality is excellent.

Some things are going to be much more expensive in Thailand like name brands. But, using the Thai brand will save you money. It all depends on what you want, where you go and often if you have a Thai friend with you that goes back and gets it for you. :)