reader

Thailand 3rd in world tourism revenue

From National News Bureau of Thailand

BANGKOK, 24th September 2017 (NNT) - Thailand has attained third place in terms of tourism revenue according to 2016-2017 statistics released by the United Nations’ World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).

Since 2016, Thailand has earned 1.65 trillion baht or 49.9 billion dollars from tourism, representing a 16.9 percent jump. The country is also ranked ninth in terms of tourist arrivals, with 32.6 million visitors or an 8.9 percent surge.

First and second best performers are USA and Spain which gained 205.9 billion dollars and 60.3 billion dollars from tourism respectively. The other top 10 earners are China, France, Italy, the United Kingdom, Germany, Hong Kong and Australia.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNECO6009240010007

Assume this is due to Thailand being a popular destination for Chinese tourists.

China now accounts for more than 25% of all tourists. That number has dropped slightly due to the crackdown on zero dollar tours but is still massive compared to a few years ago. At that time it was the Russians who suddenly started arriving in droves. The crash of the rouble stopped that.

With the Tourism Authorities now targeting new markets like India, my guess is that numbers can only continue to rise, travelling on the Skytrain will continue to feel more Tokyo trains at rush hour, traffic will get worse, more malls and high end hotel will be built, prince inflation will continue to creep up - and Soi Twilight will continue its slow collapse!

- and Soi Twilight will continue its slow collapse!

eat your words :rolleyes:

What I noticed on my recent trip is that Chinese visitors in boy bars started tipping lavishly ( on one night in Jupiter I saw two 1000 baht tips distributed by Chinese ladies to boys there ) and  offing boys in increasing number 

eat your words :rolleyes:

Give it two years. If the gogo bars are still there Ill certainly eat something! LOL

I have rarely seen Asian guys off gogo boys or the boys in the Beer Bars in Bangkok. They tend to look for sex in saunas and massage spas before going out in groups of 2 or more in the evening for a drink and a show. Then perhaps a disco. That appears to be one reason drinks prices have soared. The bar owners have to compensate for the reduction in offs. Cant speak for the Asian ladies. Apart from Dreamboys in Soi Twilight, I havent noticed many in any bars.

I am curious about how could USA be the second largest tourism revenue gaining country? Is it because of its size so adding up all the states revenue still a big amount?

Actually, the US is first according to the OP.  Certainly size matters but its geography plays a big role.  Its west coast is easily accessible to east Asia and the east coast to the EU.  Likewise, its border with Canada just about continuous and Central and South America are just to the south. 

A few years ago I took a September trip to revisit the national parks of Yellowstone and Glacier. When I arrived at the airport in Billings, I was amazed at the sight of many Chinese (and a lesser number of Japanese) families picking up rentals.  These were not the type of tourists you're likely to find in Patts. When I occasionally encountered them in shops or visitor centers within Yellowstone, many spoke English (particularly the Chinese) and their behavior was refined. I estimate that they represented 20% of the park's tourists.  I mentioned it to the bartender in my hotel and he said the Chinese and the Japanese highly value the national park system experience and have been arriving in steadily increasing numbers in recent years.

Regarding Thailand's tourism boom, here's the breakdown of August arrivals this year from report in The Nation:

So where did tourists come from in August?

• China, 982,212 +10.30%

• Malaysia, 277,606 +9.52%

• South Korea, 164,001 +16.52%

• Japan, 162,703 +5.03%

• Laos,158,377 +4.18%

• India, 116,376 +14.77%

• Hong Kong, 93,136 +8.88%

• Vietnam, 90,502 +9.17%

• Cambodia, 82,776 +20.84%

• Singapore, 81,366 + 21.2%.

Most of the tourists do go to thailand for their food and cultures regardlessnof their country of origin. Otherwise, we can only wish to be able to get a seat in one of the gogo bar lol

in most popular bars during show / Jupiter2018, Tawan , BoyzBoyzBoyz / it was problem of getting any seat on some nights  even now in supposed low season 

Mekhin, currently at Jupiter exTawan told me that most of his customers are Chinese.

Perhaps Asian gays like muscular boys and farangs prefer twinks?

Maybe that's the reason why some posters are saying there aren't many Chinese offing gogo boys in Pattaya where most are twinks.

As far as Bangkok is concerned I can confirm that Chinese customers regularly off guys from bars. There are also guys with Chinese "sponsors" sending them money -- just like there are guys with farang sponsors.

This could be true, we have plenty of twink in our own country, and muscular boy is still rare, but a lot more now than 10 years ago. However, muscular money boy is still rare here.

Another strange thing, that caught my eye is "#3 in revenues and yet #9 only in arrivals" - less people spend more money... strange...

UPD: yep, checked their web-site:

attachicon.gifIMG_6895.PNG

Must be letting the  boys show us Siam Paragon and all the new phones...not to mention helping the agriculture by purchasing new farm equipment for the family back home...

Always takes whatever mamasan says to you with a grain of salt, their main objective is to make a sale, ie for you to spend money there, be it drink, off, tips, and they are arms with plenty of marketing strategies. But if u asked the boys, they usually tells how much the chinese had helped them and the bars to survive.