ggobkk

Weaker $ = makes America Great gain

Just finished pricing a possible/probable upcoming trip to Thailand.  Thanks to the weakness of the US $ it projects to be 10 to 11% more expensive than a visit last November.  

The US Treasury Secretary is busy talking the $ down in Davos...thanks for making America great again!

Currencies go up AND down. Sometimes by a lot more than 10%. The pound is down about 35% against the baht compared with my first trip.

We just need to prepare for it.

Currencies go up AND down. Sometimes by a lot more than 10%. The pound is down about 35% against the baht compared with my first trip.

We just need to prepare for it.

Indeed they do. And with inflation on the rise in all of these nations, more fluctuations are inevitable.

A 10-year view of the USD/BHT:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=THB&view=10Y

A 10-year view of the GBP/BHT:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=10Y

A 10-year view of the EUR/BHT:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=THB&view=10Y

. "Things are looking good?" Where?

For business. We are the 2nd largest producer in our field in the USA. Regulations have been eased up on us and a location that was in the process of being shut down will remain open saving over 300 workers from having to find new jobs.

40% is difference between best and worst rate in my 16 trips

all this begs question : what offing strategy you will have if you find out that your purchasing power is diminishing due to fall in exchange?

1. shorten your vacations, skimp on other expenses / cheaper hotel etc / but maintain the same level of  offs and tips

or

2. off less often but tip the same 

or 

3. try to partially offload your burden  by reducing tips and bargaining harder to get the best rate ( before screaming starts- all assuming that boys still agree and accept, doable )  

to answer my own question I'd take point 1

I for one comes from a country that offers cheaper short time, massage+full service rate than what i need to pay in bkk. However, these line of services here is illegal, no such thing as the gogo bar, most pictures shown in the massage center are heavily photoshopped, and quality of the boys arent as good, except one or two jewels from time to time. We have people from vietnam, cambodian, myanmar, on top on local malay, chinese, indian and to make things interesting, a great number of indonesians and nepalese, and some rare bangladeshi, pakistani, and middle easterners. Id say about 50% are twinkish, 30-40% average build, and only 10-20% are muscular with 1-2% body builder type. To compare the rate, the most famous place with lots of boys here charges rm220 full services for one hour, about 1.8k baht all in (few weeks ago it was less than 1.75k), no off fee, no bar entrance, no drink charges and massage included.

Will these make me stop going to bkk? Nope. Its totally a different experience there, the quality of the boys is way better, and from my limited visit there, the boy are friendlier too, and they are like your bf, while over here its mostly a business transaction. And many more boys in bkk are open to long time, which isnt that common in my country, and since i live quite far from the city, and live in a community that dont accept any of these, bringing a guy back to your home isnt what u want to do here. I do know a few of the guys here can do long time but they ask ridiculous price, hence its cheaper to get long time in bkk compre to here. And yes, boys here charges per hour, and adhere to the time quite religiously. And it seems like that isnt the case in bkk, as short time can be between 20min-2hour for my case and many cases here too. And hiring a boy when u are on vacation and stress free is much more enjoyable than back home, when so mang things in life can makes your session less enjoyable.

For business. We are the 2nd largest producer in our field in the USA. Regulations have been eased up on us and a location that was in the process of being shut down will remain open saving over 300 workers from having to find new jobs.

Trumps policy on environmental issues and easing up regulations that were put into effect to reduce pollution, harmful chemical being release, will have a short term gain on the industry that can benefit from it, but trust me, those bad things will indirectly increases other costs in your life, your health for example. And guess who get the most benefits fr trump policy? The big corporation that owns those industry, and these people even get tax cuts on top of that. Funny thing since trump himself owns a few of those.

A lot of us own and work for industry. Industry puts fuel in my car, provide electric to my home, build the plane I fly in. Provide the tools that allow us to grow the food we need that feeds the world, allows me to heat my home in the bitter cold, creates the medication that keeps millions alive.

Trump is doing what needs to be done and the world will be just fine I trust

To comment on 3 points:

1 Vinapu.     If my purchasing power was cut to the point where I needed to economize, which is currently hypothetical only, I would:

(i) Avoid excessive generosity with tips, but respect minimum limits

(ii) Off slightly less

(iii) Use more phone app dates & pay less to the bars.

As I said, it's hypothetical yet, as I'm not cutting budgets.

2  Currency Management

My savings, investments & pensions are invested in multiple countries, including a good proportion in Asia.  So they tend not to be so sensitive to fluctuations in sterling.   

This reduces my currency risk.

So I just calculate my holiday budget in Baht, based on previous years spend + margin + inflation & convert more pounds

I don't have one of those big fat old fashioned final salary pensions, so one of the advantages of that problem is that I'm free to manage what money I have scrimped together as I please.

Anyone who does have the option of controlling their pensions, ISAs, IRAs, (or whatever they are called in your country) could presumably take a similar approach.

[uS investors might also like to take a good hard look at the Schiller CAPE ratio for the S&P500]. 

Finally, I think anyone retiring from the US to Thailand should consider exchange rates anywhere within the 20~50 range to be perfectly feasible within the next 20 years.    Same principle with other (debt ridden western) countries.

3  Trump. 

When global warming kicks in properly, I believe a big chunk of Florida will be flooded, including around Donald Trump's place down there.   Seems only fair, although I suppose he will not be alive to see the worst of it.

. And yes, boys here charges per hour, and adhere to the time quite religiously. And it seems like that isnt the case in bkk, as short time can be between 20min-2hour for my case and many cases here too.

you got it right, I never had boy in Thailand who was time watcher.

At times they wanted to go as soon as possible , presumably bored with me or trying to return to bar  get another off that night but never ever boy used line  ' o, is already 2 hours and you said short time so I need to go " an like. 

Few times when I extended time and paid for it it was on my initiative , never boy's.

I massage places it may be different as usually there are more boys than rooms so obviously they are ordered to watch time    

3  Trump. 

When global warming kicks in properly, I believe a big chunk of Florida will be flooded, including around Donald Trump's place down there.   Seems only fair, although I suppose he will not be alive to see the worst of it.

Of course big parts of Thailand are going to be under water too...including Bangkok. We'll see how well the Thai economy survives that

I for one comes from a country that offers cheaper short time, massage+full service rate than what i need to pay in bkk. However, these line of services here is illegal, no such thing as the gogo bar, most pictures shown in the massage center are heavily photoshopped, and quality of the boys arent as good, except one or two jewels from time to time. We have people from vietnam, cambodian, myanmar, on top on local malay, chinese, indian and to make things interesting, a great number of indonesians and nepalese, and some rare bangladeshi, pakistani, and middle easterners. Id say about 50% are twinkish, 30-40% average build, and only 10-20% are muscular with 1-2% body builder type. To compare the rate, the most famous place with lots of boys here charges rm220 full services for one hour, about 1.8k baht all in (few weeks ago it was less than 1.75k), no off fee, no bar entrance, no drink charges and massage included.

I realize from the rm's and exchange to bahts that your country is Malaysia. Are you talking about KL?  I had great experiences in KL, and I would love to have some scene like there is there in my country (US).  I have met there many cute, twinky Malay and Chinese, well educated and friendly. Then I would not travel to S.E. Asia.  But you are only a short distance from BKK, so you should have the choice.

He's just baiting you. The tourism industry reports a loss of about 40,000 US jobs since the Odious One came into office, because fewer people want to go to the US. One hand gives, the other takes away. Not clear yet who's winning and losing economically, but it's a pretty clear loss of respect for the US in the larger world.

40% is difference between best and worst rate in my 16 trips

all this begs question : what offing strategy you will have if you find out that your purchasing power is diminishing due to fall in exchange?

1. shorten your vacations, skimp on other expenses / cheaper hotel etc / but maintain the same level of  offs and tips

or

2. off less often but tip the same 

or 

3. try to partially offload your burden  by reducing tips and bargaining harder to get the best rate ( before screaming starts- all assuming that boys still agree and accept, doable )  

to answer my own question I'd take point 1

None of the above.

Since I started visiting Thailand start of 2000 the £-Pound Sterling has gone from highs of Bt70+ down through Bt60, Bt50 and with Brexit and other factors is now around Bt44+. I will still visit at least 3 times a year, month at a time and don't compromise with anything regarding trip costs.

I simply take more £ Sterling. 

I work in a factory, we were worried for a while but things are looking good now. I hope it keeps up!

Oh, and almost all those I socialize with are either getting a bonus, pay raise or both.

I find it odd a black gay man would support a racist, all for a bonus and a small raise. But, there are black people that do support him(below). And remember who to thank when your Thailand vacation costs more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/23/the-strange-story-of-that-blacks-for-trump-guy-standing-behind-potus-at-his-phoenix-rally/?utm_term=.cfa9f05679c7

He's just baiting you. The tourism industry reports a loss of about 40,000 US jobs since the Odious One came into office, because fewer people want to go to the US. One hand gives, the other takes away. Not clear yet who's winning and losing economically, but it's a pretty clear loss of respect for the US in the larger world.