mikem3000

Please help a Newbie

My next trip will be in four weeks time so having found a good flight I am thinking about the other logistical options.

I find the bus options Suvanaphum to Pattaya excellent and the trivial cost saving over a taxi appeals to my sense of economy.

I always book the Bell Travel bus online, which you have to, but there is sometimes a long wait for departure so last time I paid for a ticket on the regular bus which left an hour before. This terminates in Jomtien close to the Complex where I have stayed during my last two trips. I just wheel my bag perhaps 300 yards to my hotel. The Bell Travel I use when there is a long wait for the regular bus, although it can take a long time from the Pattaya Nua bus station to Jomtien in the mini bus dropping people off all over. Sort of a belt and braces approach !

However I’m tempted this time to start my trip in Bangkok to try a hunk from Tawan (been reading the threads and looking at Vinapu’s pictures). Twinks abound in Pattaya but muscle boys are in short supply. For the journey Bkk to Pattaya I would go sky train to Ekamai and then take the bus.

120 baht  only, personally tested two weeks ago

Yes. The taxi seems an unnecessary expense. I have taken the coach from the airport to Hua Hin. Comfortable and cheap. We actually took a taxi to Swampy from our house in On Nut, simply to catch that bus. Well worth it. Saves the price of an extra Short Time!

Yes. The taxi seems an unnecessary expense. I have taken the coach from the airport to Hua Hin. Comfortable and cheap.

Depends on circumstances:

1 Upon arrival in Thailand, I stay in BKK and the airport rail link is fine.

2 If I'm travelling to Pattaya in the middle of the day, the bus does just fine.   That has included the bus all the way from Hua Hin to Pattaya.

If I'm about to fly back to the UK and need to get up 2 hours earlier to catch the bus I want, then the 1200 baht for the taxi is good value.      On the typical 1 month trip, that's the ONLY taxi I take.

Sometimes, if arriving at DMK in later in the day, public transport puts me at risk being rather late for the first night out in Pattaya.  Another case where a taxi is attractive.

Vinapu is the expert here, but my experience is that the train leaves from the lower level of Swampy, as the international airport is referred to in the forum.  The train leaves on a regular schedule.  It takes the passengers into the city.  There are several transfer points that have connections to the Sky Tain and the subway systems.  I don't recommend train for someone with lots of luggage, otherwise its efficient, economical, and during most hours is quicker than a taxi due to the highway traffic.

I usually can't take the train as the flights I use don't arrive until after the last train has departed.

It's been a long time since I stopped in Bangkok. Can you tell me something about the rail link - where to catch, where does it go?

Train leaves every 15 minutes between 6 am and midnight from lowest level of airport- well posted.

Additional plus of using it are  exchange booths on airport train station - one of best rates around if not the best  which was a case for me 2 weeks ago. 

It cost 45 baht to BTS / elevated rail / Phaya Thai  where one can BTS train / separate ticket necessary /  to Sukhumvit area or with change at Siam station , to Silom area.

Another option of getting to Sukhumvit or Silom is alight at Makkasan station and change to MRT / subway / at Petchaburi station by covered walkway all the way.  One needs separate ticket for MRT as well

I have used airport link train 3-4 times.

Since my flight arrives 6am rush hour time, the train is very crowded with local Thais getting into work.

The last time I used, I could not get a seat from Suvarnabhumi airport and had to stand for 15 min so in the crowded train. It was all I needed after more than 10 hours flight.

I only use pre arranged taxi from the airport to my hotel these days.

I wouldn’t recommend airport link if you have a suitcase to carry around very busy BTS stations where most of times lift is not available to the ground level.

Then again I take taxis everywhere in Bangkok so maybe if you are very fit person, you wouldn’t mind it at all.

I have always use train if i land in BKK rather than DMK, and i have tried both method mentioned by vinapu, alight at makasan and exchange to petchaburi to silom, where it is very convenient if your hotel is dusit thani or crowne plaza sides, though the covered walkway for the exchange is a bit further compared to taking the train to phaya thai, which is very close walk to the bts, but need to change train twice, the second one is really across each other, but very convenient if your hotel is near silom complex/patpong area. I know both mrt silom and bts saladaeng are close with each other but when carrying luggage, those distance can add up to your tiredness lol.

I still prefer to use taxi if i arrive in dmk, taking the regular meter taxi at the end of the building instead of the limo/prepaid one. Usually it cost around 300-400 to silom, depending on traffic and whether taxi use toll highway or not.

Once I picked up a taxi from the airport taxi stand.

To my horror he somehow thought it’s a good time to updating his FB and adding comments while driving on motorway. I was quite nervous but didn’t want to argue with him. You know how short tempered these drivers are.

Quality of drivers from taxi stand is the same with other pick up taxis. With prearranged taxis they know the name of your hotel don’t need to explain how to get there, don’t need to pay highway tolls with small bills etc. they carry the suitcase for you.

They don’t ask 500 baht without using meter.

Stress free.

Thai taxi drivers are the bane of my life. On my trip last week being in a hurry I decided to get a taxi but forgot to check if the meter was running. Sure enough as he pulled out from taxi rank he started to insist on 500 baht (ridiculous! I knew where I was going cost no more than 350). Luckily we were close enough to the airport that I threatened to alight and get a new taxi, stranding him with no passenger and having to queue again in the rank. He switched on the meter and we proceeded. And even though I had raised my voice at him, being tired, impatient and too used to taxi driver shenanigans, within minutes he was smiling and chattering cheerfully on the phone. Which brings me to the conclusion they expect some haggling and arguing, and don’t take offence if they don’t come out on the winning side- no need to fear for your life, just be firm, it is par for the course. Could I have paid the extra 150? Absolutely. Each time I take a short taxi ride (say from Siam to Silom) the driver always hopefully asks for 100 baht and I usually agree to save fuss, and because I actually have a choice to walk away. But for airport taxis, this is a monitored system, drivers know this, and you need to stand firm otherwise more helpless tourists will be bullied. Apart from this I have numerous other horror stories, some of which will raise the hair on your head.

I would not be surprised but since I am not a threat to his life - only to his income - I doubt he would pull a gun on me, on airport premises no less. The other incidents I have encountered, I was out of my comfort zone and thought it best to comply. Being driven miles out into the suburbs and being confronted for a huge amount of petrol money is one of them.

You've convinced me. I was hesitating because on my last two trips which were direct to Pattaya the car pre-booked by the Ambiance did not connect to me. The service says they were there. !st time. I searched that airport like the FBI and could not find him. The second time my luggage was lost and I was late coming out - he left. Two years in a row I ended up with a Taxi anyway.

I still prefer to use taxi if i arrive in dmk, taking the regular meter taxi at the end of the building instead of the limo/prepaid one. Usually it cost around 300-400 to silom, depending on traffic and whether taxi use toll highway or not.

surprisingly perhpas , out of 5 times I ever arrived at DMK / Don Muang / I took train to Hualampong for 5 baht 3 times, not to save money but because I like trains

on subject of pre-arranged taxi , while I see some merit I think it adds unnecessary level of complexity as taxis in Thailand are abundant and relatively cheap so when I  need one, I just hail   one passing by or even better , unloading passenger where I'm standing.

If they refuse to use meter if offer is reasonable and I'm in rush sometimes I accept but usually I say no, thank you and try next one, in 7-18 seconds it should show in the distance.

No , I don't have any horror stories about taxis there, may be I'm looking as one carrying a gun so they don't start with me, who knows ?

I used GRAB taxi when i was last in Bangkok,used them from the immigration office to Khao San Rd there a bit more expensive but reliable.

No haggling , tells you the approx fare before ordering,clean taxis etc

There was a huge queue waiting for a taxi and i just downloaded the app and ordered and the map on the phone indicated where the Car was and its numberplate, great app to have !

They have GRAB in Pattaya too although was expensive,around 220b from Jomtien complex to Sunee i think I paid .

I also love using the train , loved the train trip I took from Pattaya Railway Station to Bangkok , its. Long trip but great experience.