CurtisD

Travel with Bangkok Guy

I know exactly how you feel. My relationship is now stable, and we see each other every 6 weeks. He's totally under my skin. Just said good bye to him in Dubai - he's back to BKK and tomorrow me to London.

Long distance relationships can work, but it takes a real effort.

The first trip we did together was to Myanmar and Malaysia. He'd only ever been on a plane to Chiang Mai before. When we parted at KL, he simply did not understand the procedures of an airport, and how to find which gate etc. Now, he's fine with it all. Tonight he changes in Bahrain for the flight to BKK, and I have no worries.

The first time I traveled outside of Thailand with my ex (we flew to Luang Prabang), I knew that it would be his first time leaving the country. He was 32 at the time. Then he revealed it was also his first time flying on a commercial airplane. His only previous experience of flying had been troop transport. We had to take a LOOOOOTTT of pictures of the plane, us in the plane, him in the plane, the walk to/from the plane, the view from the plane, etc. Your upcoming trip together will be a lifetime memory for Bangkok Guy, is my point.

9 hours ago, lotus123 said:

The first time I traveled outside of Thailand with my ex (we flew to Luang Prabang), I knew that it would be his first time leaving the country. He was 32 at the time. Then he revealed it was also his first time flying on a commercial airplane. His only previous experience of flying had been troop transport. We had to take a LOOOOOTTT of pictures of the plane, us in the plane, him in the plane, the walk to/from the plane, the view from the plane, etc. Your upcoming trip together will be a lifetime memory for Bangkok Guy, is my point.

Bangkok Guy did enjoy the trip, not just my observation at the time but all his profile pics now come from the trip. However he is surprisingly well traveled. Singapore and Korea with family, Shanghai and Beijing with friends and Ho Chi Minh with a friend and his falang boyfriend. He knows all the places to which Thais can travel without a visa by heart. Turns out he is a very enthusiastic tourist.

We Travel

A couple of days later both our bags are packed and ready and we are having dinner at a local seafood restaurant before early to bed and early to rise to catch our flight.

Mid-sentence Bangkok Guy’s face takes on a look of realization. He has left something at his room and needs to go there. How long will it take you? Hour. Ok, you go to your room, I visit bars, meet you at the apartment. “You go bars? I no go room!”

He heads to his room and I make a fleeting visit to see the new bars but, being in a hurry, see only two, Lucky Boys and mistakenly go to Fresh Boys rather than Hot Male as intended.

I like the Lucky Boys set-up. Good seating, many guys to suit most tastes and the arrangement of the toilets to allow sightseeing and mingling is cleaver. Few customers at 9.40pm. I explain the no-guy in-out nature of my visit to the non-pushy mamasan who thinks I am missing out but is happy with 100Bt tip.

Fresh Boys also has many guys and few customers at 9.55pm. The one who catches my eye is the guy on the door with an oval face, symmetrical features and darker complexion. I tip him on the way out, to his surprise.

In the morning I am showered and ready by 6.45am and Bangkok Guy is still in bed. “Car at 7am”. “Mumph”. By 7am he is showered and fresh if not quite bouncing.

In the car he envelopes my arm and tries to sleep on my shoulder.

At the check-in que he comes awake and says ‘shop’ plus something I can’t get. Switching to an easier concept he says ‘five minute’ and gives me his ‘trust me’ look before heading off.

By the time I am #4 in the que he returns happy and shows me his purchase. Facial moisturizer-cum-sunscreen. Heaven forbid that foreign sun might turn him peasant brown.

Someone has left an airline magazine in the waiting area with a long illustrated article on Thai fruit. Bangkok guy animatedly tells me which ones he can grow on farm and then points to Durian: “Falang cannot”. Yet another Falang culinary injunction, purely for our own protection. We are poor specimens needing shelter.

To emphasize the point he shows me a YouTube video of cats reacting to Durian. They do not like it and their expressions are priceless. Falang same same.

It is a smooth flight. Once we are airborne Bangkok Guy raises the armrest and re-arranges my legs into his part of the space. “You need relax”. Except during the meal service Bangkok Guy envelopes my arm and sleeps on my shoulder.

The hotel car meets us on arrival and after happily chatting to the driver “I talk for you, language same same” he again goes to sleep on my shoulder.

The verdict is in. After no reaction in the car to the airport, the plane (slight smile from stewardess) and car to the hotel, Bangkok Guy’s head belongs on my shoulder in all conceivable universes.

The hotel is lovely and our room has a long verandah with a peaceful view over the river. Our leisurely river-view lunch provides the first indication that this town is geared to mildly up-market tourism. English-only menu and a Bangkok price tag. 

This pattern is repeated in every restaurant and café we visit, with the occasional addition of Chinese. Also, as Bangkok Guy points out, the food has been made safe for Falang with minimal spice. As we are keeping with local cuisine Bangkok Guy breaks the language and spice barriers by talking directly with the wait-staff.

River, early monks, French cuisine influence, mid-upscale, English menus, night market - it has to be Luang Prabang. It is a great place.

I also do the "sharing money" thing, especially in Bangkok - he is always seen to pay for meals and drinks by the staff.

I did not know that "You need to lelax"  is a standard Thai exaltation.

17 hours ago, CurtisD said:He heads to his room and I make a fleeting visit to see the new bars but, being in a hurry, see only two, Lucky Boys and mistakenly go to Fresh Boys rather than Hot Male as intended.

I like the Lucky Boys set-up. Good seating, many guys to suit most tastes and the arrangement of the toilets to allow sightseeing and mingling is cleaver.

I’m curious as to what this means regarding the toilet situation. How does a toilet arrangement encourage mingling? 

7 hours ago, CurtisD said:

Bangkok Guy is wide awake and this makes me curious about his habit of sleeping until noon. Why do you sleep to noon if you can be so awake in the morning?

In general this is common between boys to sleep very late this is why I won't do LT anymore . it's very annoying I had to start my day at noon or later when I like to get up early eat my breakfast and go to the beach,pool ,shopping or sightseeings .

My Place in Bangkok Guy’s Universe

This report has been a while arriving as my connection with Bangkok Guy took a hop, skip and jump, a back step and a glissade toward something more mature.

Mature, God. That has taken me a while to process.

Within reason and the boundaries of the practical I am going with the flow.

The change in his family circumstances added some urgency to his quest for financial security and my invitation to travel with me opened the door to exploring if I might be the answer.

‘You retire soon?’ No.

Ah, but you will retire at some point. Let me sell you on the wonders of my home town. ‘My great aunt can sell land in home town. Very beautiful. I farm. When you retire, I look after”. Followed by a large amount of information on the prices of various agricultural products “Can make money”.

The price seemed quite modest, so either land is extraordinarily cheap or the plot is quite small. Still, it will need capex to develop, so no point in paying up-front. “Ask your great aunt if she will sell to you over three years. Then you can get it productive and paying for itself”. Bangkok Guy smiles “You businessman”.

I do some online research on rural land prices. “How many Rai is land?” Equivalent to one and a half acres it turns out. “That is very small to farm”. “Is enough for me” with a slightly hurt look. I think the full answer is that it is enough land on which to cultivate a Falang boyfriend for the benefit of the family unit.

My intuition that Bangkok Guy may, in part, view me as a high yield crop alternative in no way reflects badly on him. I admire his commitment to his family and I think he would be a caring farmer. I am just not quite ready to be kept under cultivation.

Bangkok Guy is intelligent and knows how to handle me, or possibly his personality just works with mine. Nothing pushy, more gently humorous nudging. On our outbound holiday flight he takes my passport while I complete the immigration form and points at my surname. Apparently “Bangkok Guy Curtis” has a certain cachet.

For several days he develops a slight physical tick, stretching out and admiring the fingers on his left hand, carefully isolating the ring finger. He has beautiful long fingers that curve back like a classical dancer’s. “You have beautiful fingers”. The look in reply strongly suggests I have missed the point.

The next day more finger stretching. In reply I stretch mine – “Yes, I have five fingers too, same same. We have a lot in common”. I receive a stare which is part suppressed smile, part “difficult damn Falang” and part a jab in the ribs.

Back in Bangkok airspace I tick the income box on the immigration form and receive an approving smile and eyebrow wiggle that is almost a standing ovation. I am under appraisal and shaping up well.

Bangkok Guy has several ideas for city businesses and once the mirage of a rural idle is dispensed with these are clearly his preference. He is a city guy. His plan is to get a job in one, learn the ropes and then set up on his own account.

I agree to give him an annual allowance which, by coincidence, is about the price of his great aunt’s land. It is a bit more, and then a bit more again, than I would give him if I made a couple of longer trips to Bangkok a year. Although less remunerative than getting me under permanent cultivation in the countryside it gives him some stability.

If he shows initiative and makes a go of one of his business ideas, I will help him a bit more.

Really, I am shocked at letting myself get drawn in like this.

However he is a very nice, decent guy. I like him and the thought of him scrimping and stressed out, No.

He has agreed to come with me on another trip. So in a few months I will see how his business plans progress. Possibly even learn a little Thai by the next time we meet. We will see.

23 minutes ago, CurtisD said:

Really, I am shocked at letting myself get drawn in like this

I really don't want to shatter your idyl ,My advice to you is to be very careful with your money he seems very nice boy nevertheless you can never know his real intentions and if all he tells you is true there are to many sad stories with falangs lost sustainable funds to Thai partners.

4 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

My advice to you is to be very careful with your money he seems very nice boy nevertheless you can never know his real intentions and if all he tells you is true there are to many sad stories with falangs lost sustainable funds to Thai partners.

Very good advice.