TotallyOz

The Year 2030 in Gay Thailand

We have seen a lot of changes in gay Bangkok and throughout gay Thailand. The scenes have changes, the apps changed the way we find guys, massage venues have changed and the cities have changed. Now, looking forward 10 years, what do you see in 2030?

I think the status of the Thai and Chinese economies will be the overriding factor, particularly the value of Silom real estate. Twilight was the mainstay of gay Bangkok for a long spell until the land below and sky above beckoned developers. Now that Patpong has quickly absorbed that role, it's success over the next decade will be partly ruled by the same forces.

The Silom venues (including Moonlight and Jupiter) need a stable influx of Chinese customers to make the numbers work. The proliferation of massage shops scattered around the area (especially along Surawong) likewise would have a tough time without them. Not a gay venue (although many of its customers are), Prime is one of the few that could survive.

Because of its large local following, Soi 4 is somewhat immune. Nevertheless there could be a pruning of venues in a serious economic downturn like the financial crisis of 1997.

At the moment, the economy of Thailand is fairly stable but it faces increased headwinds, the most immediate of which is the strong baht. Beyond that it's political future is one of those "black swan" events that economists worry about.

The booming economy of China is expected to slow during the decade but continue to dominate the region and--to a lesser degree--the rest of the world. A prosperous China means a continued flow of customers--male and female--that fuel gay Bangkok. ASEAN neighbors can be expected to slowly increase while western clientele numbers will be lucky to remain stable.

As for individual venues, there has always been an on-going evolution of clubs. That will continue as a few go by the wayside while others consolidate or go out of business. Nothing new there.

That said, gays--regardless of where they're from---know that Bangkok is one of the best destinations where they can feel unencumbered by their preference.

All the old houses between Rama IV, Silom, Sathorn and Chong Nonsi will have a sign "We will go on for 10 years" or be a construction site or already be replaced with some new condo / office / hotel. There will be 1 building in this area that is higher than Mahanakon. Moonlight will move there and be the first gogo rooftop bar in the world. On the walls in the elevator you will see videos of former shows. They will have guest models from Korea, but they only go with Asian girls. If you off a boy, you get a free entrance ticket for next time.
Due to bad economy, there will be more Thais and less Cambodians, Vietamese and Burmese working in the gogos.

Vinapu will celebrate his 1000st "cuddle only" off of a moonlight model.
I will celebrate finishing watching my 1000st BL story.

@vinapu's predictions are so detailed and range from very interesting to funny to (lot's of) wishful thinking haha. The last two are not related to Thailand, but still very plausible (especially the very last). 
But the most outrageously bold must be this one:

14 hours ago, vinapu said:

Bangkok finally gets integrated public transit ticket which will include even train service within city boundaries.

:lolu: :lolu::lolu:

My own prediction:
Given the excesses of luxury condo construction there will be some kind of property market crash (not nessecarily IN 2030 but sometime between now and 2030)

Oh, and of course another coup.

6 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Vinapu will celebrate his 1000st "cuddle only" off of a moonlight model.

I know that predicting is hard, specially predicting the future but that's is way too bold. Make it 10th which means only I have 7 more to go. 

While those models are extremely attractive to my eyes I predict other options will continue to be better value for money, even in Moonlight atop of that new building where they relocate

On 1/25/2020 at 6:28 AM, Michael said:

We have seen a lot of changes in gay Bangkok and throughout gay Thailand. The scenes have changes, the apps changed the way we find guys, massage venues have changed and the cities have changed. Now, looking forward 10 years, what do you see in 2030?

Does anyone dare to post a new prediction for 2030?

On 1/27/2020 at 1:10 AM, vinapu said:

I know that predicting is hard, specially predicting the future but that's is way too bold.

Yes.  There were probably more changes in 2020 than some of us expected in the 10 years to 2030. 

There is a lot to be said for arranging our affairs so we're not dependent on predictions being right.

I will base my predictions (read ‘wild flights of the imagination’) on a few macro trends as I can’t hope to compete with Vinapu on street-level prognostication. 

1. The Chinese will be the major customers as more of them achieve the middle class income that supports travel.

2. European presence will decline due to events in the UK. Britain’s post-Brexit economy will not be strong enough to support current living standards, leading to a revival of Victorian era poverty and income disparities which in turn increase the number of young men willing to use their physical charms to get by. Cultural differences with Thailand will lead to a more behind-closed-doors commercial expression of this abundance of flesh – refer to the Cleveland Street scandal for what this looked like 130 years ago. With Britain becoming Europe’s Issan, European customers will be diverted there, as will some Chinese.

3. As the Thai economy continues to grow and more Thai enter the middle class, the bar boys will become overwhelmingly imports from neighboring countries and possibly the UK.

4. As climate change induced flooding increases in frequency and severity Bangkok real estate will become increasingly less desirable. The maps below are from the Nov 2 2019 Bangkok Post and show the area below predicted annual flood heights by 2050 under two different mappings of the true land height – the very red one is the more accurate. The most low-lying parts will be abandoned to low-rent use first, possibly by 2030, creating an entire new entertainment zone. Think of 1920s Berlin meets Bangkok with neon illuminating permanently flooded streets and punters moving between buildings via second story walkways.

Bangkok Climate Change effect original land level.JPG

Bangkok Climate Change effect revised land level.JPG