GWMinUS

Trip Report from the Philippines

Well, I have been to the Philippines and fortunately was able to fly back to the USA.

I spent 3 weeks in Cebu City and 1 week in Manila. In Cebu most people were not wearing face masks. And the Malls were as full as ever. But in Manila many people were wearing masks and still going to the Malls. With my age, 79, and lung problems I decided to stay away from the crowds. Enjoyed meeting some great guys at my Condo and going to small restaurants to eat.

I had wonderful experiences with two guys I have know before. A great experience meeting a new young man. And one terrible experience with a new guy from Cagayan de Oro. I had bought him a Ticket to fly to Cebu, and at the last minute he messaged me that his Sister would not let him come. Met some other guys for the day or evening with mixed results... But Pinoy Guys are still the GREATEST!!

I must say by March 11 I was ready and just hoping to get my fight back to the USA. I certainly did not want to get banned from flying or having to spend 14 days quarantined at some US Military Base. My flight back on EVA through Taiwan was uneventful. But flying out of LAX on February 10 was a disaster. I flew from ABQ to LAX, went to the EVA Counter and was told the govt of the Philippines had banned flights from China, Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, AND Taiwan... After some tense minutes with the EVA Supervisor he took me to the Philippine Air Line Counter and got me on their flight to Manila and down to Cebu. EVA covered the expense. At least most of it. I had bought Premium Economy on EVA and PAL does not have that Seating Class on their B-777-300ER. So I got Coach for the price of Premium Economy. But I had three seats all to myself. Still considering asking EVA to pay me back the difference!!!

Now just here in Santa Fe hoping there is food to buy at the Supermarket tomorrow. Life goes on...

2 hours ago, GWMinUS said:

I had wonderful experiences with two guys I have know before. A great experience meeting a new young man.

Given the ever-changing travel bans, we who are stuck have to live vicariously though others' trip reports for the time being, so please tell us more... Did you meet these guys through the apps -- if so, which app works best? --  through bars or through mall cruising? 

Were they more romantic engagements or transactional ones? If the latter, what's the going rate and what services are provided for that rate?

(forgive me if I sound rather too blunt).

Mack.

From Philippine Star

Philippines reports 47 new COVID-19 cases, highest one-day spike

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines reported 47 new infections of the coronavirus diseas 2019 (COVID-19) on Saturday, bringing the tally to 111 cases.

The announcement came just a day before the start of the month-long implementation of community quarantine in Metro Manila, during which all land, air and sea travel to and from the area will be restricted in order to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/03/14/2000832/philippines-reports-34-new-covid-19-cases-highest-one-day-spike

1 hour ago, reader said:

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines reported 47 new infections of the coronavirus diseas 2019 (COVID-19) on Saturday, bringing the tally to 111 cases.

1 per million of population, roughly the a same as chance of being stabbed by blind brother-in-law wearing green shirt and blue shorts

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

1 per million of population, roughly the a same as chance of being stabbed by blind brother-in-law wearing green shirt and blue shorts

1  A 73% increase in one day is suspicious

2  One would need to look at their testing regime to have any confidence in the 111 number.      And consider expert comment on reported v actual numbers in various countries.

3  Filipinos are packed in pretty densely in Manila.  

Thanks for your interest in my trip and experiences in the Philippines. So I will go into more detail...

First my most enjoyable meet-up which was my last week in Manila.

My guy just turned 30 yo. He is in great shape with a lean swimmers bod, nice pecs,  beautiful ass, and loves Older Men!!! I met him 4 years ago. So you can say we have an ongoing relationship. He knows I have a long time Partner here in the USA and that is not an impediment to us enjoying our time together. He sincerely wants to meet and it is never about money.

We met on Planet Romeo. At the time he was working at a major hotel in Saudi Arabia. After he returned to the PH I invited myself to meet him in Manila. We hit is off in more ways than one!! He turned old Dad from a Top into a Bottom!!! He is passionate and wants to fuck morning, noon, night, and middle of the night!!! WOW!!! But we also enjoyed other pleasures. He took me to some great local places to eat. Like the Dampa Sea Side Seafood Market, where you pick the fish from a tank and they cook it for you!! I had booked the Crimson Hotel in Alabang, in the southern area of Manila. 5 Stars at reasonable prices. We very much enjoy staying there and I highly recommend it! Shortly after my trip he moved to Bulacan, north of Manila, to take care of his elderly Father. He opened a small restaurant on the street floor of the house. And I did loan him money to get started. He paid me back in 6 months.

The next year I bought him a ticket to Cebu City and we went to Bantayan Island for 1 week. Bantayan is the un-discovered Boracay of the Philippines. Beautiful white sand beaches. We relaxed in the sun and did karaoke  and Red Horse beers at night. Again SEX SEX SEX!!! But this trip my arthritic hip was giving me problems. So we did not go hiking. And the Resort turned out to be on the hillside above the beach. Lots of steps to negotiate. Not so good for me.

This year's trip had many problems. He was living back in Manila so I planned a trip to the Laiya Beach area in Bantangas, south of Manila. But the Tall Volcano blew it's top and dumped gray ash on all the beaches. So I cancelled that plan and booked to meet my Guy in Manila. BUT he was no longer in Manila. He had moved to Dumaguete City on Negros to take care of his old Auntie. AHHH obligations of Family. So what to do. I had booked my flight back to the USA from Manila. So I bought him flights up to Manila to meet and then return. That cost me about USD100 tht was not planned. It turns out I and he just got out of Manila before the flights were locked down.

And that is my Last Story, First... Still love the Philippines and the guys there!!

I reply to Mack's questions.

My contacts are all through PlanetRomeo. But I understand that Whatsup is very popular in the Philippines. My "meet-ups" are more about Companionship than Sex! I enjoy knowing my guys there and being involved in their lives. Just going out for dinner, a movie, or to the Mall is more important to me. But I admit I am still a Sex Tourist...

I did contact some Chat Buddies who declined to meet me once they found I was not Relationship Material. I accept that. Few guys down in Cebu City are looking for a One Night Lay!

I did hire one guy for Massage. He came to my Condo. Turned out to be MUCH chubbier than his Pics on PlanetRomeo. But he gave me a great massage and I paid him 500PHP, about USD10. I saw only a few massage posts on PlanetRomeo. Some looked HOT and they was asking 1000PHP, about USD 20. 

There are no Gay Bars in Cebu, per say. There are three popular mixed Discos, ICON, OQTAGON and LIV Supper Club. The guys love to go out for an expense paid evening of Dance and Drinks!! The action starts at 10pm and goes until 6am. But given the COVID-19 Virus I avoided those and other crowded venues this trip!!!

I also usually plan a side trip when visiting Cebu or Manila. Enjoy going to a nice resort and enjoying the beach or pools. And of course taking a nice Pinoy Guy with me. But again this trip my plans for those did not work out. the Crimson was a great alternative. Beautiful swimming pool, great breakfast buffet, and adjacent to a huge mall, Festival Mall.

So to each their own... But it is still More Fun in the Philippines!!!

My next enjoyable meet-up was with a guy I have known for 3 years. He lives in Dipolog City, on Mindanao, and is 19 yo. We have often talked about meeting there but this trip I invited him to come to Cebu City. He quickly agreed and even suggested taking the over-night ferry rather and flying from Dipolog to Cebu. Cost me 2500PHP, USD50, for his trip.

He turned out to be Joy!! Lots of energy, speaks great English, and is most engaging. He was nicely built but not any hunk. He has met several Daddies in the  PH, including some Filipino ones. He did have concerns about HIV and said we had to use Condoms. Not only for fucking but sucking. That all went away after we meet and he made Dad HAPPY HAPPY!!! To bad he could only stay for three days. But we did an afternoon of site-seeing. He is studying Tourism in College. I enjoyed seeing some places in Cebu city I had not been to previously. And he was really into Selfies!! We hired a taxi for the afternoon. It cost 1000PHP, about USD20. The driver took us to places and then waited for us there. Actually taxis in the Philippines are CHEAP!! The flag drop is 40PHP, USD1, and it seldom costs more that 100PHP, USD2, to get any place in the City.

One day we went out to the new SM Seaview. It is now the biggest mall in the Philippines. I was taking him Ice Skating. But after getting there and his seeing people skating and falling he got "cold feet". Still a nice afternoon and a chance to buy him some gifts. Pasalubong!! He did have one difficult experience. He wanted to take Chicharron, fired pork skins, back to Dipolog City. He found a shop near that the Condo what sold them and bought 5 bags. But when he got to the ferry they made him throw them away. Problem with the Asia Swine Fever!!  But he took it all in stride!!

Those are the kind of Filipino guys I enjoy the most!!

I had good success with the phone apps in Manila and Cebu.     The boys are pretty good in bed as well.

I'm also interested in recommendations for other exotic locations for the next trip.

If you want to do the Beach I recommend Cebu Island as your jumping off place. To the north there is Bantayan Island and Malapascula Islands, both beautiful. Many resorts at all prices on Bantayan. I have not been to Malapascula but the people go there to swim with the Sharks. To the South there is Oslob to see the Whale Sharks and Santander with a nice beach and a chance to go Canyoneering and jump 15 to 20 feet down off a rock into a pool of water.

Across from Cebu Island is Bohol Island and Panglao. You travel there from Cebu by 3-hour fast Ferry. Or you can fly to the new airport on Panglao. The beaches on Panglao are wide and white. And you can go out on a boat to see the Dolphins. Another Island I have not visited is Siquor Island, it is not overly developed but nice to visit for 2-3 days. And there is always Leyte. From Cebu you can fly there or take a 2-3 hour Ferry. Many many more places and beaches in the South. OH, but do not expect beautiful beaches in Cebu City itself. On Mactan Island they are all artificial sand at the resorts or rocks!!

CHEERS!!!

Thank you GWMinUS.   Reports from less frequently visited countries are particularly useful.

I wonder what's it like trying to find a boy in some of the quieter places ?   

As hotel room safes are by no means universal, I'm not always keen on bringing a boy with me when I travel.  Also, some of the boys I saw on the last trip had jobs.

Note:   Certain western governments had warnings about travel to the southern part of Cebu island when I went there.   Cebu city was not within that area at the time.   Anyone booking in the future might want to check such warnings.   Don't let it put you off going to any part of the Philippines not covered by a warning.  Small parts of southern Thailand have been subject to similar warnings & we all go to Thailand.

The no travel zones for foreigners in the Philippines are mostly in the Muslim parts of Mindanao Island. And more specifically the areas near Marawi, Cotobato, Zamboanga, and Jolo or Sulu. I do not feel any part of Cebu Island is a problem or even the Cities of Cagayan de Oro or Davao on Minddanao. 

On most of the Island the guys are on Planet Romeo or Facebook. Does not matter if it is Cebu, Leyte, or Negros. Even Iloilo on Panay are beautiful places to travel. Just sign in and you will find many nice guys who want to meet. Then you have to sound them out as to what they are seeking. They may say Sex. But many want a Relationship, like in a BF or Daddy or Husband. And most want some foreigner to take good care of them.

In the South there are not many Go-Go Bars and no Saunas. And the Massage places are all pretty straight. There are some hot men who offer Massage on Line and are available for Extra Services. Their rate is usually 1000 PHP (USD20), however I have seen some HOT men asking for 3000 PHP (USD60). I have not hired any so I do not know about how good they are and what to expect for extra services.

Many hotels and resorts do have room safes. But I have found the Filipino guys to be trust worthy. Still you can ask about room safes or lock-boxes before you book.

Jobs are a different issue. Many guys who are lucky enough to have a Job only get 1 or 2 days off. To take more days off for a trip they need to make arrangements with their Boss or Company. So plan ahead!! For guys in College the best times are the Breaks between Semesters.

And check the Weather. Some months are subject to typhoons and heavy rains. No fun to go to a Beach Resort and have it rain all day! Other months there are afternoon rains, similar to Thailand.

INGAT or "Take Care" as they say in Tagalog!!!  

Travel advice varies with time, so any traveller should consider up to date advice near the time of travel.

The map below is from 2017, showing travel to the south of Cebu Island was not advised at that time.     The more recent advice has no specific recommendations for the south half of Cebu island, ie matching the advice from GWMinUS.   But they have added a recommendation not to travel to the Philippines due to COVID.

Also, thank you to GWMinUS for sharing details of trips.   

Hopefully there are more people who can share reports of their trips to the Philippines.     I've been once and would like to return sometime  in the next couple of years.

phil-170131_Philippines_pdf-xlarge.jpg

Vinapu - you have me dreaming again here in locked down England with my memories !. I once took a boy to Koh Tao for 3 days and it rained all the time, but we had lots of sex with the rain rattling on the tin roof of the bungalow.

Looking at maps of the Philippines I’m impressed by the number of Islands - maybe hundreds of then, each no doubt with a slightly different culture. I wonder if there can be negative reactions to older gay men with young boyfriends ?. At hotels for instance asking for a double bed or maybe holding hands on the beach. 

I have not found any problem going out or traveling with a younger guy. The guys in the PH are on the discrete side so some do not want to hold hands in public. Other, more gay guys, are happy to show off their Foreign Friend! OH and several years ago I went to the Mall with a guy and he kept walking a little ahead of me?? He was the one concerned about being seen with an older man!!! That was my last Date with him.

The hotels may confirm that WE TWO MEN want a room with a single bed. I just say Yes and there are not more questions. I even request a Room Card for my Friend and tell the hotel he will be charging to the room. In a couple of hotels the housekeeping staff has even left us Love Swans made of towels on our bed. ;-)

The problem will be if you want to fly from the PH to another Country. Like to Hong Kong, Bangkok, or Bali. The Immigration Agents can decide to deny your Friend from boarding the flight. Even with his Passport and Ticket. This is particularly difficult when flying from Manila because they direct the Foreigners to go through a different Immigration Screening than the Filipinos. One trip I went through Immigration and my Friend did not show up in the Departure Hall. I had to force my way back to the Philippine Immigration area, find him being held by an Agent, required to fill out all their forms, and declare he was traveling as my Caregiver and I would be responsible for his return to the PH. The next time I just insisted he had to go through Foreign Screening with me and got the Agent there to allow him to Board. Be Prepared...

AND HAVE FUN!!!

4 hours ago, GWMinUS said:

One trip I went through Immigration and my Friend did not show up in the Departure Hall. I had to force my way back to the Philippine Immigration area, find him being held by an Agent, required to fill out all their forms, and declare he was traveling as my Caregiver and I would be responsible for his return to the PH. The next time I just insisted he had to go through Foreign Screening with me and got the Agent there to allow him to Board. Be Prepared...

What is the problem behind? Are the Philippinies afraid that foreign countries would attract too many of their nursing staff? Did you have a return flight for him?

19 hours ago, 10tazione said:

What is the problem behind? Are the Philippinies afraid that foreign countries would attract too many of their nursing staff? Did you have a return flight for him?

I have never understood it. Maybe they are worried that the Filipino will fly overseas and not return. But what can be the problem for the Philippine Government??? 

But it is not unusual for it to happen. I first encountered this when I invited a Filipino Friend to fly to Bangkok to meet me. I had already flown to BBK. On the day he was to come I got a call from him. He was there in Manila and had been denied boarding on the flight to BKK by Immigration. He had his RT Ticket, Money, and information on the Hotel in BKK. I asked to speak to the Immigration Agent and my friend told me she would not speak to me. SO, he missed the flight, was stuck there in Manila for the night, and had to buy a new ticket to return to his home City. I was pissed and lost probably USD300. So I learned my lesson! For the next three guys I met them in the PH and accompanied them on the trip. Once to Hong Kong, once was to BKK, and the last to Bali. Had the same difficulty each time but convinced Immigration to allow them to travel.

I have another Friend who was to meet a man in BKK. Not me. And he was traveling from the PH alone and also denied boarding. He had worked overseas in Saudi Arabia twice and returned both times. Another time he had no problem flying to BKK by himself. Just does not make any sense.

Just be warned. Better to meet your guy in the PH and fly with him!!!

I found this link:

https://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req

There are some clues what the "problem" could be:

• "Passenger discloses a doubtful, false or suspect travel intent" (if the guy doesn't know the name of the hotel, is this already doubtful? or if the guy is travelling with a white guy 3x his age?)
  • "Passenger’s totality of circumstances manifests a well-founded certainty of human trafficking, smuggling or illegal recruitment"
  • There are also some rules about "sponsored-travel" (if you pay the flight for the guy, is this already sponsored travel?)

So basically if an immigration officer doesn't want a filippino to leave the country it is rather easy to find a reason.

13 hours ago, GWMinUS said:

I have never understood it. Maybe they are worried that the Filipino will fly overseas and not return. But what can be the problem for the Philippine Government??? 

But it is not unusual for it to happen. I first encountered this when I invited a Filipino Friend to fly to Bangkok to meet me. I had already flown to BBK. On the day he was to come I got a call from him. He was there in Manila and had been denied boarding on the flight to BKK by Immigration. He had his RT Ticket, Money, and information on the Hotel in BKK. I asked to speak to the Immigration Agent and my friend told me she would not speak to me. SO, he missed the flight, was stuck there in Manila for the night, and had to buy a new ticket to return to his home City. I was pissed and lost probably USD300. So I learned my lesson! For the next three guys I met them in the PH and accompanied them on the trip. Once to Hong Kong, once was to BKK, and the last to Bali. Had the same difficulty each time but convinced Immigration to allow them to travel.

I have another Friend who was to meet a man in BKK. Not me. And he was traveling from the PH alone and also denied boarding. He had worked overseas in Saudi Arabia twice and returned both times. Another time he had no problem flying to BKK by himself. Just does not make any sense.

Just be warned. Better to meet your guy in the PH and fly with him!!!

Highly difficult to understand the reason for not letting the boys to fly although they have the return tickets and international accomodation approval . I invited my Pinoy boy two times , to Bali once and Kuala Lumpur once , in both of the trips he did not face any problems .

22 minutes ago, eurasian said:

Highly difficult to understand the reason for not letting the boys to fly although they have the return tickets and international accomodation approval . 

sadly , suspicion of human trafficking is  plausible explanation. People are tricked promised  good jobs , send off with all decorum including return ticket and booked accommodation and they finish up in servitude or outright slavery in some brothel , farm or fish processing ship.   World is beautiful place but not THAT beautiful for many.