reader

Whatever Happened To The Thai Sex Worker?

12 hours ago, Vessey said:

Sex workers in places like Pattaya have a shelf-life, and 33 is on the older side anyway. Past 30 and it becomes harder to compete

I agree.   Eventually people reach an age where selling such services becomes more difficult.   If she's reached 33 and then got what sounds like a relatively good job, well perhaps covid has been the catalyst to bring about a career change which was going to happen sooner or later anyway.   

I would suggest the ones who suffer more would be those in the earlier stages of their career who haven't even thought about what they might next.

18 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

Pattaya won't be the same again and it will take many years to recover.

how do we know?

Not that I don't agree or see merit in such gloomy statement but, specially 2nd part ( my underscore ), may or may not prove to be accurate.

Material devastation may take longer to repair but one of immaterial nature like pandemic effect may be repaired surprisingly fast.

Im with you there Londoner - some boys are more affluent than one might suppose. During my last contribution I mentioned a very attractive 18 year old I first met on the beach in year 2003 and subsequently offed him from Euro Boys. I like to think he had a prosperous career in the gay Pattaya sex industry. He will be about 36 now and probably retired some time ago from the bars, but after a good remunerative period in the beds of gay farangs like myself, and having probably a number of longer term relationships. The family in Isaan would have benefited from improvements to their property, purchase of farm equipment and perhaps a pickup truck and generally from freedom from uncertainty and poverty.  On the other had I hope he has not been crippled by drugs or alcohol, a motor bike accident or contracted a STD from bare back sex.

I agree that some do far better than we might think.  

For a start, I think there's a tendency to understate earnings.  Also, when asking what they have been doing today, well I've never ever heard the answer refer to seeing other clients.    Even when I know a customer he has seen earlier in the day.  

Back in the days when Pattaya had a thriving gogo scene, I've been sat in Funny boys for a while waiting for the full rotation of lads & I've seen boys leave with a customer and return to the bar 40 minutes later, to go back on the stage. 

I know of some who eventually admit they have been saving for years, have bought land & so on, knowing they will need a career change shortly. 

8 hours ago, z909 said:

I know of some who eventually admit they have been saving for years, have bought land & so on, knowing they will need a career change shortly. 

I think along the same lines. Quite  a few guys I was with and talked to had pretty firm plans as of what they will do with their money after they move from the scene.

I recall one Tawan guy proudly showing me his pick up truck he bought back home which was being rented for various jobs while guy was still toiling in BKK.

And another one whom I took for few days from Pattaya to Bangkok who asked me to pay agreed tips in lump sum at end of his stay so he can save all that money ( and of course creating excuse for asking me to buy him occasional small items as he did not have money )