topjohn5

Which Rio hotels do you like?

• Members
On 2/5/2022 at 6:30 PM, sydneyboy1 said:

Regarding safety you might be on to something. I was mugged nearly in front of the Copacabana Palace Hotel on my first trip to Rio. Copacabana is not safe.

Gloria, Catete, Flamengo, Botafogo are much, much safer than Copacabana or even Ipanema. And they are very pleasant, interesting, walkable neighborhoods. In the touristy beach neighborhoods, you are walking around with a red flashing sign saying "I'm a tourist, probably a dumb one too, rob me."

• Members
On 1/29/2022 at 4:21 PM, TotallyOz said:

I agree!

When I was traveling there a bit, I stayed most at the Intercontinental Hotel (now closed) and the JW Marriott (painfully small and expensive). I think my next trip will be an Air B and B and I've never done that before.

@TotallyOzYour next trip? We never heard about the trip you said you were taking in December! Still thinking of moving?

7 hours ago, Lucky said:

@TotallyOzYour next trip? We never heard about the trip you said you were taking in December! Still thinking of moving?

Covid19 travel made me weary and now I picked up a partner that I don't want to leave (unless to travel with him to EU). He is from Madagascar and divine.

• Members
15 hours ago, davet said:

Gloria, Catete, Flamengo, Botafogo are much, much safer than Copacabana or even Ipanema. And they are very pleasant, interesting, walkable neighborhoods. In the touristy beach neighborhoods, you are walking around with a red flashing sign saying "I'm a tourist, probably a dumb one too, rob me."

I cannot fully co-sign to this assessment. Sure, in many parts of Copacabana, there are malandros looking for and targeting tourists and gringos (because tourists are known to flock the area), Copa is so big that there are “good” parte tô stay/live/plan in and “bad” parts to avoid. Also, surprisingly, in recent years (pandemic years), Ipanema’s beach areas have overtaken Copacabana’s as the most invaded by locals from other parts of the city — making the crowds there during great beach weather unbearable. Ipanema has been the site of many recent fights (with or without weapons), as well as crimes of opportunity, as of late. Police presence in sone areas helps to quell this, but it’s still been noticeably bad for the local Ipanema residents and long term stayers.

Niw, regarding areas above the tunnel like Botafogo, Flamengo, Catete, Glória, et al, you have to define “safe” — because a tourist’s / gringo’s idea of safety is often rooted in feeling versus reality. Sure, in those areas, there are fewer masks Deus out looking fir tourists or gringos — because there are less of them. However, in those areas, there is statistically more crime reported, less police presence, and less likelihood to encounter English-speaking people (or anyone who doesn’t speak Portuguese). Also, because you would be one of the few, you may very well stick out like a sore thumb when they look at you or hear you talk and it’s obvious you aren’t a local — this making you a target of opportunity for malandros. 

I would advise staying in those areas if you want close to an authentic local Zona Sul Carioca living experience — not for safety reasons. 

If you can snatch one of the few front facing ocean suites at the Pestana Rio Atlantica (and don't mind the high cost), they're huge and the spacious balcony alone overlooking the Copacabana beach scene would give you a glorious sense of beach side living.  The hotel itself is a wannabe 5 star (but doesn't come close) and no other type room is worth it, but the experience of waking up and hanging out on that balcony (with a great cup of joe) captures the true beauty of Rio.  

I haven't stayed at Hotel Arpoador but their breakfast on these ocean front little outdoor sidewalk tables is almost perfect while you watch the world of Ipanema Beach wake up!

• Members

I just booked Hotel Atlantico Travel Copacabana for 11 nights last night for my April stay. It is near 202 as well.  The booking is 100% refundable so I'll keep an eye for other better deals in the meantime.

I'm tempted to stay at Cinelandia area which is near Sexy Rose 🤣

• Members
1 hour ago, floridarob said:

Check their visitor policy

I don't usually bring guys back so it'll be a non issue. However, I don't think it's mentioned anywhere that visitors are not allowed unless I missed it. I still have more than a couple of months to cancel the booking if a better one comes along.

• Members

I have stayed in Leme, Copa, Ipanema and Leblon.  

Leme (Novotel 125USD/night) is a 5-10 minute shorter Uber to 202 and 117, than Copa (Atlantico Rio, Atlantico Copacabana)  and over all feel of the area is the same as the latter.  To describe in short, they all feel like "beach town" hotels.  Hotel Atlantico Rio on Posto 5 area is either newer or have been renovated more recently than Atlantico Copacabana near 202.  I also feel Xavier Da Silveira is a lot calmer than Siquiera Campos. Both area only about 40USD/night.  I have not had any trouble having guests in the Atlantico hotels.

Ipanema (Sofitel $$$ depending on season) is nicer, and Leblon (Janeiro Hotel, Sheraton Grand $$$) more so.  But if you're Ubering to 202 and 117 frequently that extra distance/time really adds up.   These hotels have more of a "resort" feel which I like sometimes when I just want to stay in the hotel rather than venturing out. 

I am very curious to hear which particular hotels are recommended for Botafogo, Flamengo, Catete, Glória.

• Members

Check out the Hotel Nacional. A genuine architectural landmark (Niemeyer), across from a safe, friendly beach, with an "interesting" recent history that involves near demolition and Justin Bieber. The location in Sao Conrado is about 30 minutes by metro and less by car to Copacabana and the central/south parts of the city.

• Members
55 minutes ago, davet said:

Check out the Hotel Nacional. A genuine architectural landmark (Niemeyer), across from a safe, friendly beach, with an "interesting" recent history that involves near demolition and Justin Bieber. The location in Sao Conrado is about 30 minutes by metro and less by car to Copacabana and the central/south parts of the city.

From the map, it looks like you have to pass through either Rocinha or Vidigal to Ipanema and beyond ... 

Is it really safe? 

• Members
On 2/9/2023 at 8:04 AM, buttercawan said:

From the map, it looks like you have to pass through either Rocinha or Vidigal to Ipanema and beyond ... 

Is it really safe? 

Sao Conrado is considered one of the wealthy, quiet suburbs, but it is cheek-to-jowl and shares a metro stop with Rocinha, the largest favela in Rio and the one that "favela tours" take you to. Welcome to Brazil. You do know that there are favelas all over Copacabana and Ipanema, right? Many of the guys working at 202 walk down from the favela right up the hill.

On 3/7/2023 at 4:45 AM, jjhjjp said:

Do most hotels want you to check visitors in? Or do they not even notice?

Rio hotels can be difficult......I know Hilton and Othon Palace don't let you bring anyone that's not registered with you on the 1st day. There are many more like that....mostly trying to keep prostitutes out from what they've told me.

Marriott and Atlantico Copacabana is not an issue with them.

• Members
On 3/7/2023 at 5:45 AM, jjhjjp said:

Do most hotels want you to check visitors in? Or do they not even notice?

In some hotels, employees will notice.

Once I had to register my GP as the second 'official guest' to let him in. So we did the paperwork as if he was my boyfriend staying with me etc. The next day when the GP was different, we tried to walk past them as if it was still my boyfriend and the girl at the desk stopped us. I said "I registered him as a guest yesterday" but she pulled out the copy of yesterday's boy's identity card and said "No, it is not the same person". Embarrassing moment, never to be repeated.  

That hotel was Arena Leme.

On the other hand, the South American Copacabana in Copanema were just asking to get a copy of the boy's id every time I walked in with a different boy. It was a bit awkward to implicitly admit I was fucking with a different boy every day but the staff stayed very professional.