vaughn

Taipei Info/Tips?

36 minutes ago, Lucky said:

The Dandy Daan doesn't do a great breakfast? Hmm. That's the heart of my day foodwise when traveling in Asia as I am a midwestern guy.

I don't know any of the 3 star hotels that have what I would call a good breakfast. These hotels mostly cater for Taiwanese and so best to look at a good western chain hotel. But I know none near Ximending. @a447 recommends the Westgate. Just looking at the photos of the dining area, it seems quite small and I suspect - and I hope @a447 will correct me if I am wrong - that the breakfast will not be similar to a tradional western breakfast, even though it has an egg station.

Wth comfort and a hearty breakfast as essentials, I would certainly give up the idea of staying in Ximending and recommend the Courtyard Downtown Hotel. You will absolutely adore the breakfast!! 

On 7/25/2023 at 10:56 PM, PeterRS said:

I hope @a447 will correct me if I am wrong - that the breakfast will not be similar to a tradional western breakfast, even though it has an egg station.

I can't comment on the breakfast, Peter, as I don't eat in the morning. Just coffee. 

However, if I'm staying at a 5-star hotel - usually only when I go to Japan -  I always eat breakfast.

• Members
On 7/25/2023 at 7:56 AM, PeterRS said:

I don't know any of the 3 star hotels that have what I would call a good breakfast. These hotels mostly cater for Taiwanese and so best to look at a good western chain hotel. But I know none near Ximending. @a447 recommends the Westgate. Just looking at the photos of the dining area, it seems quite small and I suspect - and I hope @a447 will correct me if I am wrong - that the breakfast will not be similar to a tradional western breakfast, even though it has an egg station.

Wth comfort and a hearty breakfast as essentials, I would certainly give up the idea of staying in Ximending and recommend the Courtyard Downtown Hotel. You will absolutely adore the breakfast!! 

At tripadvisor.com, the Dandy Daan rates higher than the Courtyard, and many comment on the good breakfast. Still contemplating this one.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:22 PM, Lucky said:

I suppose that might diminish the reviews. I'll take another look.

I just noticed this reply. In my quite long experience, one-line reviews on sites like Tripadvisor are generally not to be trusted.

The Dandy Da-an is a 3-star hotel. The Courtyard Downtown is definitely 4-star. And since you like a good breakfast and have mentioned that at Le Meridien in Bangkok, you will get that and more at the Courtyard. You will get nothing like it at the Dandy Da-an unfortunately. If you decide to stay at the Dandy, I'd find a good nearby 4- or 5-star hotel nearby and just go for breakfast there. I just booked the nearby 4-star Park Hotel for late February. Never stayed there before but got a very good internet rate for a deluxe room.

• Members

I have a reservation at the Dandy Dan. I checked prices yesterday, and my same room would be about $400 US higher if I booked it now. I'll check the rates at the Courtyard and see how they compare.

Although I love a lavish breakfast, I can sometimes settle for good coffee.

UPDATE: I did switch to the Marriott Courtyard downtown. The price was quite similar to the Dandy Da-an.

22 hours ago, khaolakguy said:

Sharing this link as it was updated last month and seems to provide interesting information, though our learned members may be able to advise on it's accuracy.

https://www.klook.com/en-GB/blog/taipei_gay_bar/

It's a pretty comprehensive and well-summarized list of venues. Quite good for a generic website focused mostly on selling tours. if it had included the saunas the hot springs would have been pretty much complete.

• Members
On 11/10/2023 at 5:58 PM, PeterRS said:

You will love the breakfast. If not, I'l pay for one of them!!

@PeterRS is off the hook! The breakfast at the Courtyard was tops. In Bangkok, Le Meridien still has the best breakfast. I stayed at the Sukhothai a few nights and found their buffet breakfast to be good but not Le Meridien good.

On 1/30/2024 at 10:27 AM, Lucky said:

@PeterRS is off the hook! The breakfast at the Courtyard was tops. In Bangkok, Le Meridien still has the best breakfast. I stayed at the Sukhothai a few nights and found their buffet breakfast to be good but not Le Meridien good.

Did you go to any gay venue in Taipei? How did you like it compared to Bangkok?

• Members

Taipei struck me as having a shortage of gays. I warmed to it slowly, finally realizing that I liked the area around Taipei 101 best. If I had it to do over again, I would stay at the Hyatt Regency across the street.

I got a massage- the only gay thing I did. The Red House didn't strike me as a gay area.

Beitou “gay spa” area is developed with nice walking paths (thermal geo park). But its much more interesting to explore thermal waters in the pools of Emperor Spa. Access from the city is easy by combining metro and local bus (google maps has schedules). Get off the bus when single or groups of twinks or hunks leave the bus (stop called Xinqyi rd 4, displayed in the bus) and follow them down the hill. Or use maps. Price is unchanged 250, mandatory nudity. In the pools you can always spot few guys who could work for exclusive underwear magazine and quite a few guys who have good potentials. The spa is very cruisy, especially later in the evening when the few families are gone. The steam room has a big sign “no sexual harassment”, I was enjoying the steam (very hot btw) and was soon sexually harrased - excessive inappropriate touching! We then proceeded to my hotel to finalize the paperwork for the crime committed. To be fair, he made sure I see him, before he touched me. The hooligan was 28 years old insurance accountant. Nicely cut short hair, nice pecs, cute face and likes kissing and fucking.  Be aware! I invited him for a second interrogation. The spa is open 24 h, the last bus leaves the spa around 11 pm. By 10 pm the crowds where thin. Still, 10pm new people arrived.