YoungWesternTop

New to Thailand - sex questions

11 hours ago, YoungWesternTop said:

Is syphillis easily transmissible through oral thought? What if you’re the person receiving the BJ? And how likely if you wore a condom to contract it?

Condoms certainly help but even kissing can be a way to transmit syphilis. The real problem is that an individual can be infected with it and not know it. The average time from infection to noticing (or not noticing) symptoms is 31 days but can range from 10 to 90 days. Unless treated, as this CDC advisory states -

"Syphilis can spread during vaginal, anal, or oral sex . . . A single chancre marks the onset of the primary (first) stage of syphilis, but there may be multiple sores. The chancre is usually (but not always) firm, round, and painless. It appears at the location where syphilis enters the body. These painless chancres can occur in locations that make them difficult to notice (e.g., the vagina or anus). The chancre lasts 3 to 6 weeks and heals regardless of whether a person receives treatment. However, the infection will progress to the secondary stage if the person with syphilis does not receive treatment."

Worryingly, the guidline also points out -

"In the United States, MSM who are HIV-negative and diagnosed with P&S syphilis are more likely to get HIV in the future."

It's quite normal now for those getting HIV tests also to be tested for syphillis - and I reckon with the current trends this is highly advisable. Treatment is usually three weekly injections into the upper thigh and is not expensive.

https://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/stdfact-syphilis-detailed.htm#:~:text=Syphilis spreads from person-to,%2C anal%2C or oral sex.

11 hours ago, hojacat said:

I think you should, since you are so worried about catching diseases. Start taking it a week before heading to Thailand and continue till at least one week after you're back home. So at least you don't have to worry about catching the most serious of all the STDs.

As for using a condom for oral, it's truly up to you to decide what's an accepted pleasure-risk ratio.

Thanks, but PREP only protects against HIV right? Are there any side effects from it?

8 hours ago, YoungWesternTop said:

Thanks, but PREP only protects against HIV right? Are there any side effects from it?

I'm new here also, so I'm not sure if all the more established members are right... or if you're genuinely curious and anxious. If your curious and anxious, I'd suggest that you talk to your local sexual health providers about your concerns. They'd have a better idea about your personal medical situation, and can advise you better about risks; and hopefully be experts on it :)

I would say that you do seem a bit too anxious about it. Condoms for oral sex is a bit over the top, IMO. I'd refuse if a guy wanted to wear one to get blown. I don't want a mouthful of latex. But I understand the risks, and make my choices appropriately.

I go along with that. And we need younger posters, just as gay Thailand needs younger gay visitors.

Look at it this way; any new poster may be trolling. Maybe. However, some may just be not well-versed in the conventions and appear naïve. So what? If there is one chance in twenty that the newbie is genuine, give the poor b***** a break and see what happens. Who gets hurt by being generous?

On 7/25/2023 at 4:59 AM, YoungWesternTop said:

If you read what I posted and do a little research, Doxycycline (a common antibiotic) can also be used as bacterial PEP or PrEP to greatly reduce chances of getting a bacterial STD (like syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea) if you are exposed.  other antibiotics you may already have will probably also have some protective affect from both STDs and travelers Diarrhea.   this info is commonly available on the internet.

3 hours ago, maump said:

If you read what I posted and do a little research, Doxycycline (a common antibiotic) can also be used as bacterial PEP or PrEP to greatly reduce chances of getting a bacterial STD (like syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea) if you are exposed.  other antibiotics you may already have will probably also have some protective affect from both STDs and travelers Diarrhea.   this info is commonly available on the internet.

Information may be freely available on the internet, but @YoungWesternTop you should discuss with a medical professional before making a decision around medication and your health. 

Just watched mainstream media (PBS newshour) 6 minutes discussion on Doxy-Pep.  discussed the concern of overuse of antibiotics... including the fact that this antibiotic is old and is commonly used for acne treatment.  using for STDs seems reasonable.  This antibiotic is available over the counter in many countries.  In the PH and thailand, every sniffle and they go to the store and get an antibiotic (if they have money).  Often I was amused in Thai BL series they run and get "medicine" for every imagined illness.

8 hours ago, maump said:

Just watched mainstream media (PBS newshour) 6 minutes discussion on Doxy-Pep.  discussed the concern of overuse of antibiotics... including the fact that this antibiotic is old and is commonly used for acne treatment.  using for STDs seems reasonable.  This antibiotic is available over the counter in many countries.  In the PH and thailand, every sniffle and they go to the store and get an antibiotic (if they have money).  Often I was amused in Thai BL series they run and get "medicine" for every imagined illness.

That may be true. But just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean I have to participate. My cousin is a doctor that specializes in drug resistant diseases. She would tell you straight up: antibiotics should not be available over the counter and any general practitioner that prescribes an antibiotic because you have the sniffles is doing more harm than good. 🤓

46 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

That may be true. But just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean I have to participate. My cousin is a doctor that specializes in drug resistant diseases. She would tell you straight up: antibiotics should not be available over the counter and any general practitioner that prescribes an antibiotic because you have the sniffles is doing more harm than good. 🤓

If one is going to some one off sex party /orgy, I can see why the risk vs benefit equation of taking Doxy-PrEP balances toward being more beneficial.

But if it is as regular as every time one has sex... then that would push the risks much higher.

13 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

I absolutely agree, and doctors are getting better, but the our food supply chain is not. so the doctors are pissing into the wind.

regards use for PEP/PREP, if we can stop an epidemic and keep the human race from becoming a billion infected people trying to breed a mutant antibiotic resistant bug by maybe stopping the epidemic early, i am all for it.