reader

Reviewing the five visa options for retirement in Thailand

If you look back in time, the Thai elite (read the mega wealthy) continually attempt to influence enactment of laws or regulations to restrict immigration to those more like themselves and less like the hoi polloi. They always get others to do their bidding as can be seen from the above news articles.

After previous attempts generally fell flat, they've apparently decided to go the simple, more direct route: high net worth individuals. Why not, they figure, make it about one thing everyone can easily grasp: money. Prospective expats would either have it or not have it. It eliminates so much of the bureaucracy. In the process, it would convert their long-time pet peeve, Pattaya, into a playground for the wealthy instead of one for the just the horny. Look how successful attracting rich Kuwait uni students on summer vacation has worked out. What could possibly go wrong?

Cash is the common denominator that's worked so efficiently for the elite, allowing them to reverse the popular vote that favored Move Forward to form a new government. In other words, they were able to subvert the election without any legal ramifications. So much less messy than Trump's attempt to do the same on the other wide of the world.

9 hours ago, PeterRS said:

(And we still question why the Thai boys have largely disappeared from the Bangkok gay bars!)before than happens. 

Agree that they are represented in far fewer numbers than a generation ago but--thankfully--can still be found in in the Silom area bars and certainly in the message shops. And for app users, the answer is at your finger tips.

9 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I have been to Lisbon and Porto and enjoyed the cities a lot.

I've been to both places, Lisbon more. Nice to visit, wouldn't want to live there was my takeaway. I'm aware it's been on many people's places to retire list, bit don't know anyone personally that has.

I speak the language and still couldn't see myself living there..... as I recall, not a lot of English speaking locals....can't imagine you being happy there. 

Any other options in Asia possible for you?

I wrote about a Thai guy that worked on cruise ships that left to come live in Texas with me.....once he realized how exotic and popular he was outside of Thailand, he started fucking around. I told him , fly be free....I let him do his thing and let him go. Keep this in your mind.........

9 hours ago, floridarob said:

Any other options in Asia possible for you?

Way back in the mid-1990s when I decided I should start thinking about where I might eventually wish to retire and consider purchasing a small condo, I looked more closely at several of the Asian countries. I had been in love with much of the continent since 1979 and already knew several countries extremely well. One factor was wherever I chose, it had to be within relatively easy flying time of Hong Kong where I expected to continue running my own small company for the first 2 decades of the new century. Eventually i narrowed the options down to 2 - Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. At one moment of near madness I considered Penang. When the Asian Economic crisis hit, developers were left with large blocks of unsold ocean-facing apartments just off the road between Georgetown and the main beach area at Batu Ferringhi. These were all but being given away. But I knew I could easily end up becoming something of a beach bum and resisted the temptation. Yet KL was a city I really enjoyed then. Much less so now. Thankfully therefore I chose Bangkok which I knew extremely well.

The Asian Economic crisis took 3 years before it hit Hong Kong. When it did, it experienced its worst recession since WWII. The finances of my company crashed. I could no longer afford actually to live there and so I decided to relocate to my Bangkok apartment and just commute. (Anyone who has tried to open a small service business working internationally in Thailand is aware that the regulations are a minefield - hence I had no intention of relocating the business here). I even found I enjoyed the regular monthly commuting and so did not bother to relocate back to Hong Kong after business finally picked up after SARS in 2003/04.

The one city that I now kick myself was never on my radar was Taipei. I had been frequently in the city since the last year of marital law in 1986/87. A small gay scene had started developing by the mid-1990s but the city was very different from the one we know today. Sadly, it has also become considerably more expensive, especially in terms of real estate. I did think about a move there about 7 years ago. Now it would be too much of a financial stretch.

I may well end up just staying in Thailand. But just the thought that a complete break with a move back to Europe and the possibility of continuing to explore so many more parts of that fascinating continent has given me a bit of a buzz.

9 hours ago, floridarob said:

I've been to both places, Lisbon more. Nice to visit, wouldn't want to live there was my takeaway. I'm aware it's been on many people's places to retire list, bit don't know anyone personally that has.

I do know two people who have moved there, one a good friend from Hong Kong who had been living with a boyfriend in Auckland for 15 years before they split up. He wanted to come and live in Chiang Mai but is not yet of an age where he could get a retirement visa. So friends persuaded him to move to Portugal. He enjoys it a lot. 

On 8/12/2023 at 2:28 PM, TMax said:

I had considered a move to Thailand at some stage and was looking at the 20 year elite visa but after what I read about the changes that is no longer an option, retirement visa was also an option but I have read there are rumblings that the new government (if it ever forms up) could well be cracking down on that visa (no doubt a crackdown on the agents etc). I have also looked elsewhere, no real interest in Laos or Cambodia, Malaysia is a distant possibility but I have some doubts, I would love to live in Singapore but a lack of long term visas makes that a non starter and much the same for Vietnam and their lack of long term visas. That really leaves 3 options, stay home in Australia and just visit but visit more often, Thailand and risk a retirement visa or the Philippines. Visa wise the Philippines is relatively easy and has been on my radar for some time now but the infrastructure there sucks in comparison to Thailand. Health wise my choice of place to live in the Philippines is a long bus trip away from Manila (at least 5hrs depending on traffic) so would be relying on local hospitals in case of emergency and I would say private health insurance would be a must to get into the good hospitals like St Lukes in Bonifacio Global City or Makati Medical center. The thinking cap is on and visa wise I am keeping a keen eye on what's happening, also continuing to buy lotto tickets just in hope.

Yes Philippines is now my option.

I'm looking Duamegette or Davao City 

So me sitting here in the UK at 54 year of age and with no real plan to retire to Thailand but thinking "but maybe, some day that might happen and so why apply for an Elite NOW ( fast) and also immediately upgrade it to the 20 year option just to keep the option open".

BUT on reading this thread then also realising that the Elite visa office / Thai Government could ( and probably will) move the goalposts again at ANY time and many times over that period, with as PeterRS has already pointed out zero regard for existing holders (as they seem to be doing already here) so now thinking "so what's the point in risking that money".  and I'd just be better letting things roll and deal with things as they are a the time I'd ever think of moving there - or am I wrong ?